Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog eats boys finger

Still Waters

An 11-year-old boy in Bradenton, Florida is recovering in hospital after his pinky finger was bitten off by the family’s pet dog.

According to the Manatee County Sheriff's Office, the boy reached to pet the dog, who was in its cage, through the slots in the cage door.

The dog bit the boy's left hand, completely severing the pinky and possibly breaking his forearm.

http://www.dailymail...ce-arrives.html

oh my god. The dog is in a cage, the owner shoots it several times and retrieves the finger from it's stomach. Poor kid, poor dog. The man,......

• Like 2

Ouch. Must admit my dog wouldn't bite anyones fingers off, but if I had leprosy and a digit fell on the floor I would imagine he'd pounce on it a scoff it down sharpish like he does with everything else.

It is kinda understandable though from the fathers point of view. His kid's just lost his finger to the dog. But also from the dogs point of view. It's in it's cage which I think is their own hallowed ground right? (dont keep mine locked up but he doesnt like anyone sitting on 'his' part of the sofa when he wants to lay there)

It's just one of those s****y things that tends to happen now and then I guess.

Should have taught the child not to stick it's fingers in cages. Common sense really. They might want to get the finger checked as well, remember the story of the dog saving that guys life by biting his toe off? Well you never know the dog could have done something similar and got shot for it.....

• Like 1

I don't understand, if you don't have the room or space to keep a dog, don't get one if your going to make it spend time in a cage, it's NOT a natural habitat for any living creature.

If, god forbid, you keep anything in a cage, be sure you don't allow children anywhere near it. :(

Edited by Mistydawn
  • Like 2

"The sheriff's office said the force of the bite may also have broken the boy's forearm." Wow!

If the owner rehabilitated aggressive dogs, stricter protocol should have been in place.

Or, maybe the kid liked to poke at the dog while in the cage-hurting it/abuse. Some kids will do that obsessively. They have power over a restricted animal.

Otherwise, imo, any dog should only lick a finger that came into it's cage or it shouldn't be a family (especially with kids or neighbor kids) pet.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

"The sheriff's office said the force of the bite may also have broken the boy's forearm." Wow!

If the owner rehabilitated aggressive dogs, stricter protocol should have been in place.

Or, maybe the kid liked to poke at the dog while in the cage-hurting it/abuse. Some kids will do that obsessively. They have power over a restricted animal.

Otherwise, imo, any dog should only lick a finger that came into it's cage or it shouldn't be a family (especially with kids or neighbor kids) pet.

Again, don't keep anything in a cage and expect it to behave normally. :(

• Like 2

Apparently they do say dogs are happier if they have their own crate/cage. Something about them having their own territory, and they r supposedly happy to stay in them. Never used them personally so cant tell you if it right or not.

Again, don't keep anything in a cage and expect it to behave normally. :(

Sure, if in fact it was kept in a cage and fed through the bars and used to eating what was stuck in it's face that might explain why it bit off the finger.

But there are multiple humane uses for dog cages/crates, too. I used to hate the idea too, and I'd never leave a dog in one for 10 hours while at work, we've always had doggy doors.

But we currently rent and the upstairs is carpeted where our new dog sleeps with out daughter. She came to us at 8-months-old and with a cage she was used to sleeping in at night. Since she was not potty trained and still

has accidents now and then, she sleeps in it at night next to our daughter's bed. Then she get in her bed with her about 6am after being let outside. I'd never thought I'd use a crate either. And I can see other short-term uses too.

Imo, if a dog is well loved and cared for, it won't hurt them, if used humanely. But I see what you mean, I've hated the thought of them until now..

My sister had 5 dogs. She uses crates while at work. Well, her Dalmation mix figured out how to let herself out and then would let the other dogs out of their crates too! :tsu:

Edited by QuiteContrary

Crates for dogs, not a solution to anything I can think of.

If you don't have the space to let a dog be a dog, don't get one.

If you have a dog and have no alternative but to inhibit it, give it away. If the only opition you have is to cage it, regret it, and don't recommend it to others... it is not a decent option.

If you have an animal caged, you are keeping it prisoner if even for 5 minutes of it's life. If your child sticks it's fingers through the bars of it's cage, you and not the animal, is to blame for the consequences.

• Like 1

My grandparents had a dog until their kids were born, a few days after the newborn was brought home it was asleep in crib in the corner of the room, the dog walked up to crib, leant in and growled/showed its teeth. Grandad marched over, hooked the dog onto its lead, walked it to vet and had it put to sleep on the spot. Said he could never take the risk the dog would do more than growl.

• Like 2

No you don't take chances with your kids Wyrdlight.

If you know a dog bites don't have it around children. Keep a dog caged up long enough and it will turn into a biting dog. Being confined like that probably makes them crazy.

• Like 1

No you don't take chances with your kids Wyrdlight.

If you know a dog bites don't have it around children. Keep a dog caged up long enough and it will turn into a biting dog. Being confined like that probably makes them crazy.

Yeah, I dont have a huge problems with cages per-se, but it depends hugely on the size/type of the cage, the dog and the reason the cage is used. If a cage is used as a "oops we have visitors let me get him out from under my feet for five mins" then its ok, likeways some dogs enjoy having their own little space and will sleep thier of thier own accord. I dont agree with caging a dog for hours and hours on end though, its not fair on the dog.

As ive said in numerous posts its down to training from a young age, if you did your job as a dog owner right then a cage is never needed. Certainly its never been needed with our dog, we say jump, he says "how high?".

If you have a dog and have no alternative but to inhibit it, give it away. If the only opition you have is to cage it, regret it, and don't recommend it to others... it is not a decent option.

If you have an animal caged, you are keeping it prisoner if even for 5 minutes of it's life. If your child sticks it's fingers through the bars of it's cage, you and not the animal, is to blame for the consequences.

Too extreme for me. Imo, there are too many truly lousy pet owners out there, to take happy pets away from the good ones who occasionally use a crate.

If you board your pet at the vet. They put them in cages.

They put them in cages before/after procedures at the vet.

Throw your large dog in the back of your pickup bed so it can be thrown around? Instead of in a crate, for the trip to the dog park, as I see many do.

Don't cage your cat or puppy to transport it, just let it run all around your car while driving? Tried that. Never again.

I still say crates can be used humanely, but I def agree, inhumanely as well. But that type of owner would be a lousy pet owner with or without a crate.

But in no way does use of a crate guarantee a dog that would bite off someone's finger. The OP sounds like mean dog they couldn't handle. Who made it mean? Idk.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I think if we waited on “ideal” pet owners with “ideal” pet environments we’d have a whole lot less deserving pets going to loving owners. And instead dogs and cats would be living in far far less than ideal shelter situations (caged).

I hate it when cats are confined to the indoors and when someone thinks all a little dog are great for small apartments and all they need for exercise/fun is a short walk to pee every day. But, considering the alternatives?

We all can’t meet someone else’s expectation of an “ideal and worthy pet owner” with GRADE A accomodations and pet knowledge and unlimited finances. But, we can all love and respect and be best friends with our pets. But I would certainly rather someone with very very high pet ownership standards own a pet, than someone with no standards at all.

However, the owner in the OP messed up beyond "acceptable ideal” imo. Whether in supervising and teaching a dog-torturing kid or making his dog a real part of the family or his unfamiliarity with a new dog, or whatever the cause was...it cost his son.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Well I know what you mean, but dog cages are really good for dog training, especially puppies. You put a blanket over the cage and allow the dog to use it like a cave. You never annoy the dog when it's in there. But you don't lock it in, you treat it like a dog house in the house. It's gives them an area to go to get away from you or any other animals/people int he house, sort of a safe zone for it.

I wonder if the guy blames himself at all for what happened. I've met far too many irresponsible idiot dog owners who don't properly train their dogs and then allow their young children to be around their dogs.

• Like 1