Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
StarMountainKid

Rag Rugs

7 posts in this topic

Does any of us make rag rugs? My grandmother and mother used to make them when I was a kid. They were great! I don't know what happened to them, but I wish I had the ones they made now.

post-50472-0-18522300-1364766788_thumb.j

My wife's mother and grandmother tied them. She has a couple as keepsakes. They are really cool! And they're durable.

That's a pretty rag rug. I don't think people do too much of that anymore so good luck on finding one.

My mom makes them. I know the principal since I've watched her do it. Haven't made any myself yet because she likes making them.

Does any of us make rag rugs? My grandmother and mother used to make them when I was a kid. They were great! I don't know what happened to them, but I wish I had the ones they made now.

post-50472-0-18522300-1364766788_thumb.j

I've never heard of rag rugs before, the one in your pic is very pretty.

I used to make rugs using wool and a latch hook from 'Readicut' kits. My mum still has them in her house.

Lots of instructions on the internet, but it looks a bit time-consuming.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Rag-Rug

Visiting my family today, so I asked mom about her rugs. She used crochet method.

The rug in her workroom is a 5x7 foot oval, took her about a month of 8-10 hour days to make with all the tearing fabric into one inch strips and balling them, then crocheting the rug. The 4 foot round one in her kitchen took her about a week of 8-10 hour days to make.

She gave the warning that tearing the fabric strips makes a TON of lint, so be prepared for some cleanup after you do that part,