Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama Hears Easter Service

Kowalski

Obama hears Easter service with political theme

By STACY A. ANDERSON | Associated Press – 8 hrs ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama attended Easter services at an Episcopal church near the White House and heard a sermon that criticized "captains of the religious right" for holding some people back.

The sermon by Rev. Dr. Luis Leon at St. John's Church was based on the Gospel of John and the resurrection of Jesus. Leon said Jesus told Mary not to hold on to the past — "You cannot go back" — and the reverend said the religious right should focus on "the way things can be in the now."

"It drives me crazy when the captains of the religious right are always calling us back ... for blacks to be back in the back of the bus ... for women to be back in the kitchen ... for immigrants to be on their side of the border," Leon said. He said the message of Easter was about the "proclamation of victory, the victory of powerful love over loveless power."

Before Sunday's Mass began, the president, first lady Michelle Obama and daughters Sasha and Malia took the short walk from the White House to St. John's.

Obama was greeted by several parishioners with handshakes and smiles as the church members were returning to their seats from Holy Communion, which the first family also joined.

A pew nine rows back from the altar at St. John's carries a small brass plaque designating it as "The President's Pew." Church history claims that every president since James Madison has visited. The Obamas attended Easter services there in 2009 and 2012.

From http://news.yahoo.com/obama-hears-easter-political-theme-035820270--politics.html

• Like 1

Sermonizing against political sermonizing? While I do agree that some people need to get over this Good-Ole-Days mentality, a church is entirely the wrong place to preach it.

Reactionaries will always be reactionary.

If I did go to church and heard this sermon I wouldn't go back. It would be too much like just another political arena.

• Like 3

And if you think the White House wasn't involved in the approval process for that sermon, you're kidding yourself. Couldn't have another Dr. Ben Carson embarrassment for the President.

I'm Episcopal myself and stepped back from the church due to how radically leftist our church had become. Every sermon seemed to be about some political from a Leftist viewpoint. Personally I'm more and more convinced that a good number of Leftist priests don't even believe anymore - the church is just simply a vehicle for their version of social justice.

• Like 2

And if you think the White House wasn't involved in the approval process for that sermon, you're kidding yourself. Couldn't have another Dr. Ben Carson embarrassment for the President.

I'm Episcopal myself and stepped back from the church due to how radically leftist our church had become. Every sermon seemed to be about some political from a Leftist viewpoint. Personally I'm more and more convinced that a good number of Leftist priests don't even believe anymore - the church is just simply a vehicle for their version of social justice.

I'm not so sure I can't picture the whitehouse endorsing a speech with the line "It drives me crazy" just for starters. I think this guy was taking advantage of Obama's presence to make a point within earshot of "The President". If I was Obama I would be personally offended by someone taking advantage in that manner and pay him no heed whatsoever.

• Like 2

President Barack Obama attended Easter services at an Episcopal church near the White House and heard a sermon that criticized "captains of the religious right" for holding some people back.

The sermon by Rev. Dr. Luis Leon at St. John's Church was based on the Gospel of John and the resurrection of Jesus. Leon said Jesus told Mary not to hold on to the past — "You cannot go back" — and the reverend said the religious right should focus on "the way things can be in the now."

"It drives me crazy when the captains of the religious right are always calling us back ... for blacks to be back in the back of the bus ... for women to be back in the kitchen ... for immigrants to be on their side of the border," Leon said. He said the message of Easter was about the "proclamation of victory, the victory of powerful love over loveless power."

Statements like this just go that much further in dividing our country....as Lincoln once said, "A House divided against itself cannot stand."

• Like 2