Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Germans planned to build 'sun gun' weapon

Saru

Back in 1945 it was revealed that German scientists had been planning to build a giant space mirror.

Back in 1945, Life magazine revealed to its readers how “U. S. Army technical experts came up with the astonishing fact that German scientists had seriously planned to build a ‘sun gun’. ”

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Nothing surprises me when it comes to Hitlers Germany. They tried so many out of the box ideas. You have do give credit where it is due though, they did make some amazing stuff.

• Like 1

If i was making a death ray i wouldnt use mirrors, I would use a series of magnified glass starting with low magnification working my way up to super high magnification so the uv rays that are put into one end are outputed and focused at what ever needs too be destroyed. I think it would be a brilliant way to stop asteroid"s and meteor's without having to use nuke's in space.

• Like 1

If i was making a death ray i wouldnt use mirrors, I would use a series of magnified glass starting with low magnification working my way up to super high magnification so the uv rays that are put into one end are outputed and focused at what ever needs too be destroyed. I think it would be a brilliant way to stop asteroid"s and meteor's without having to use nuke's in space.

Just make sure if you make that... you sell it to the right people. I don't want the military or government to have that kind of thing. lol

• Like 2

Got to give them credit for trying new things and giving others the inspiration to do so. Couldn't have them ruling the world.

Just make sure if you make that... you sell it to the right people. I don't want the military or government to have that kind of thing. lol

There is no right people, a destruction weapon is for destruction, no matter who will use it.

There is no right people, a destruction weapon is for destruction, no matter who will use it.

My knife is a destructive weapon if used that way... I never use it that way... So it's not always the case.

There is difference between someone only using it for meteors etc and a government using it as a WMD.

yeah i would not do that use it as weapon guys and people.why?because then for one people will think the sun is a bad thing using it as a weapon.two instead of building weapons and etc why not build free i do mean free solar energy devices for the whole planet and every home in the united states household.why free because it would be unfair to charge for solar power when the sun belongs to nobody.last thing people or someone might attempt is trying to patten the sun for themselves.if people pay for solar energy then sorry people i say it how it is you are dumb!!!nothing in this world is dangerous what makes things dangerous is if we make them like that or make them into weapons.it depends how use them.lets push for real world peace not fake world peace through weapons and violence.violence creates more violence!!!there will be people that promise world peace and a new and better one new world government but let me tell you this don't buy into that it truly has bad news written all over it and negative consequences people.

• Like 1

The world would be at a standstill as thousands of women continuously look to the sky.

• Like 1

If I read the article correctly, Life surmised that this could have been used as a weapon if it was greatly enlarged. The designer suggested the mirror would create a area of light equivalent to that of the effect of the sun at the equator ... perhaps a more benevolent microclimate for bleak German winters.

Nazi Germany may have had its faults but it definitely had its glories. There are few modern technologies today that of which owe gratitude to several scientists during The Third Reich.

• Like 1

All this admiration of Third Reich technologies reminds me of a Werner von Braun quote; "We aimed for the stars, but sometimes we hit London."

• Like 1

I think it needs to be kept in perspective.

The nearly 5000-square-mile mirror, he said, would create a bright, heated “spot” on the earth’s surface about 2000 square miles in area.

We couldn't build that today, let alone in the 1930's/1940's when the V2 was the only rocket available. It mentions astronauts who I assume would be doing space walks, it would have need re-entry capsules and something capable of carrying the weight each launch. It is a lovely idea but as realistic with the technology of the time as building the Death Star with todays.

Edited by skookum

The Nazis sponsored all sorts of hare-brained schemes, nothing ever came of them.

The few projects that actually produced useful weapons (like the ME262 jet fighter) were underfunded, delayed, and sometimes spoilt the Fuehrer himself with idiotic meddling.

And I am sure you would add lots of apostrophe`s<sic> to your giant magnifying glass, LOL

• Like 1

Back in 1945 it was revealed that German scientists had been planning to build a giant space mirror.

How did they not win?

How did they not win?

Because all these experiments came too late in the war and they were running out of various raw materials to continue production of even "old" technology. For instance, Tiger tanks often broke down because they did not have the right metals to construct final drive bearings capable of taking the strain of such a heavy tank. This brings to mind the old saying "For want of a nail the shoe was lost, for want of a shoe the horse was lost" etc etc. Besides, the vast majority of German equipment was not any better than that used by allies, and in some cases was worse, for instance their rifle was not as good as Red Army or that used by US. They had some good stuff, but the vast majority of their troops were not equiped with MP44, or went into battle with latest model Panther with night vision equipment, or flew ME262. I will give them credit here that they survived for so long not because they had some good equipment, but because they fought with great skill and like tigers to the end. But they were always going to loose.

All this admiration of Third Reich technologies reminds me of a Werner von Braun quote; "We aimed for the stars, but sometimes we hit London."

Don't confuse my acknowledgement for admiration; they're two very different things.

You could also help the next time my yard gets infested with ants!

• Like 1

Don't confuse my acknowledgement for admiration; they're two very different things.

True, sometimes it hard to discern subtle nuances on forums. That said, I do admire the WWII MG42, still being used today in the form of the German MG3 and the American M60. Meanwhile, as far I know, the BundesWehr still does not have winter boots, you'd think they would learn.

• Like 1

How did they not win?

Because they focused on quality not fully understanding quantity needs. Although the M6 Sherman was no match for practically any German Panzer or Tiger the Americans could replace about 10 for every 1 lost.

They also had no reliable fuel source, towards the end they were relying on petrol and diesel manufactured from coal which was complicated and didn't produce their requirements in quantity. They had opened up too many war fronts. Their equipment was pretty hopeless in Russian winters, over confidence led them to think they could finish off Russia before the weather set in.

Probably the most important project, the nuclear bomb was thankfully many years behind the Allies. Rumour has it that the US and UK were considering using it on Germany if the D-Day landings failed. This means it was available much earlier than originally thought. Unfortunately many documents remain classified for about another 30 years so we cannot be sure.