Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Babe Ruth

UK troops do the right thing

32 posts in this topic

Would You become friend's with someone that keep's on causing trouble ? No ? I did not think so...... So why would the middle east become friend's with the western countrie's ? what incentive have they had to be friendly ?

Torturing people is guaranteed to make thing's a lot worse and NOT any better

IF the government talked to people and treated people the same way they would like to be treated (with respect ?), maybe then their would be NO war's and no need to torture people for information

You seem to have this anti-western view like a few people on here have. What problems have the western world been causing that the rest of the world isn't also doing at the same time. I also feel you think it is a travesty that the western world acts in its own self interest like everyone else, but just because it is the west and powerful it suddenly becomes evil.

The main two reasons I can think of for the middle east to be friends with the west is trade and advanced technology. Not all middle eastern countries hate the west and the few who don't tend to be far wealthier and nicer places to be then the ones that tend to fight the west.

How would torturing the enemy make things worse for us. The enemy is going to hate us no matter what they do and will use anything and everything to recruit new members anyway so even if we aren't torturing anyone they will claim we are anyway if it helps with recruitment so they pretty much takes away all the negative aspects of it except for losing the moral high ground which is pointless anyway. On the other hand what we gain from torture is information that saves the lives of our troops and our civlians, the only thing we should be concerned with anyway, and save the lives of innocent civilians of the hostile country we are in, along with adding another layer of fear that will help prevent another conflict in the future.

Your last statement has so much wrong with it, it is hard for me to pick a point to start with. First you are not dealing with one government but multiple governments and people all with different views, beliefs, wants, morals, desires, and so on, it just doesn't work. The vast differences will always create tension and strife because from the different views there are also only limited resources that everyone is competing for and there isn't enough to go around for everyone. We could distribute everything evenly but I highly doubt the people living in first world countries would enjoy being downgraded to third world conditions all in the name of equality and keeping the moral high ground.

Like I said with your view on life and everything you will be able to keep the moral high ground but it won't win a war and it isn't very practical for everyday life, whether you want to believe it or not there are people and countries out there that will do anything and everything to defeat and/or destroy you and they will use your refusal to leave the moral high ground against you and they will win.

So if your wife, child, parents - all you love were definitely going to be killed by a nuclear bomb and a suspect could tell you where it was - you wouldn't torture him because it is immoral to do so? And what of HIS immorality to kill so many innocents? I realize this may seem like an impossible scenario but i don't really think it is. In fact I think it's quite probable to happen at some point. If you can honestly answer yes then I think you are a person of astounding gravity and selflessness. I'd save my family no matter what it took. And no apologies to anyone.

What do you think of the christian ideals espoused by MLK? "Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness"

Can you apply the WWJD dynamic to this torture situation? I would be most interested in a response.

Don't they torture the people they have at Gitmo....some as far as I'm aware haven't even been convicted of any crime, but its always shock horror when incidents such as the beheading of westerners a few years ago.....makes you wonder just what pushed these groups/people to want to do that in the first place ?

Maybe some squaddies in their regiment stood on IEDs?

Maybe some squaddies in their regiment stood on IEDs?

This is true, and probably the main reason for american soldiers torturing 'the enemy', but I was looking at it from the perspective of both sides, I think one fuels the other until eventually its chaos

So if your wife, child, parents - all you love were definitely going to be killed by a nuclear bomb and a suspect could tell you where it was - you wouldn't torture him because it is immoral to do so? And what of HIS immorality to kill so many innocents? I realize this may seem like an impossible scenario but i don't really think it is. In fact I think it's quite probable to happen at some point. If you can honestly answer yes then I think you are a person of astounding gravity and selflessness. I'd save my family no matter what it took. And no apologies to anyone.

As stated in my previous post You quoted, I believe Torture should NEVER be used under ANY circumstances !

IF I knew of an impending attack, nuclear or otherwise, I would take step's to protect my family/people I love, by getting them out of harm's way, if at all possible.......

Two wrong's do NOT make a right, torturing someone/anyone is wrong, full stop

1 person likes this

You seem to have this anti-western view like a few people on here have. What problems have the western world been causing that the rest of the world isn't also doing at the same time.

I have no such thing as an anti western view, what I do have is a view made up of reality and NOT made up of what we are told in the media, which in my oppinion is made up of BS, not all but most of it is, it is primarily propaganda, why do You think that people that are whistleblower's are getting a hard time and being treated like criminal's/terrorist's ?

name='DarkHunter' timestamp='1364963510' post='4721487'][/u]

How would torturing the enemy make things worse for us. The enemy is going to hate us no matter what they do and will use anything and everything to recruit new members anyway so even if we aren't torturing anyone they will claim we are anyway if it helps with recruitment so they pretty much takes away all the negative aspects of it except for losing the moral high ground which is pointless anyway.

As I stated before, torturing people will only make thing's worse, by creating more extremist's/terrorist's/freedom fighter's, and causing more conflict, which is doing nothing to solve the problem's that we are facing, it is just making thing's worse, and also more profitable for the weapon's manufacturers

Two wrong's do not make a right....

Just because somebody else may do something it does not mean we have to, we cannot control what other people do, just what we do, if we conduct thing's like we are then what incentive's have other people/countries got to do the right thing

On the other hand what we gain from torture is information that saves the lives of our troops and our civlians, the only thing we should be concerned with anyway, and save the lives of innocent civilians of the hostile country we are in, along with adding another layer of fear that will help prevent another conflict in the future.

Torture is NOT a guaranteed way of gaining valuable information, anybody will say anything to make the torture/pain stop...

IF our government really wanted to save our troop's and civilian's then why do they alway's start or resort to war ? it would be better to help other countrie's rather than trying to dictate what they can or cannot do (like they are doing/trying to do to Iran ?)

As for saving the live's of innocent civilian's of hostile countries, havent You heard of the drone attack's in Afghanistan etc, that have KILLED those very same innocent civilian's including women and children ???

Adding "another layer of fear" will only cause MORE conflict's/war's and NOT stop attack's or conflict's in the future, I am suprised You think it would...

1 person likes this

I hope my christian friend is going to expound on the WWJD angle.

I hope my christian friend is going to expound on the WWJD angle.