Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Bother Searching for ET?

Still Waters

It's a disturbing question, and one that I seem to get more frequently than before.

"Why are you looking for evidence of extraterrestrials? What's the point?"

While I have always thought that the motivation for looking for E.T. was both self-evident and patently worthy, it's possible that I'm a victim of my own job description. Others don't inevitably agree. Some will opine that there are better ways to spend the money.

"With all the problems we're facing here on Earth -- climate change, environmental degradation, war, poverty and more -- why are we wasting funds looking for space aliens?"

http://www.huffingto..._b_2993267.html

• Like 1

I prefer the Question: "Why do we let privately owned banks control our money?"... If we didn't then we could easily spare the money for searching ET life on top of fixing hunger, war and poverty etc.

• Like 5

Maybe E.T doesn't want to be found ?.

• Like 1

Bigger question is what would we do if we let the wrong ones know where we are? I believe they have already been coming here but so far those haven't wiped us out or saw us as farm animals.

Bigger question is what would we do if we let the wrong ones know where we are? I believe they have already been coming here but so far those haven't wiped us out or saw us as farm animals.

Malevolent, yeah if you believe all the abduction reports it seems that they do treat us like animals, they have terrible bed side manner

Whether radio-magnetic radiation emissions or alien life, the Green Bank, WV radio astronomy telescopes are very impressive to see up-close and personal! As you approach, white giants rise up in an emerald valley.

Well i think if asked the question 'why do we look for E.T's', it's as simple as asking why do we look for new species right here on earth, why do we excavate sites from thousands of years ago, research the nature of the universe, try and prove there is an afterlife... Because we are curious by nature. Resources are put in place for the things like research on climate change, war, poverty etc. Things like searching alien life is generally funded by individuals or corporations not controlled by the government. People have the right to research what they please.

• Like 2

I think a better question is,

Why wont "they" lets us find them?

Cause et can make bikes fly and heal people with his magic finger.

Seriously though probably so we can reverse engineer their crafts. The ussr was notorious for shooting to ufos to try and gain their tech advancements. Also them most likely being smarter then us i guess they could change the way we think / run society. Others might think they have the answer to our origins. Or maybe just to learn about their advance biological structure.

We are looking for something that won't let themselves be found. Or, think for a second that perhaps we're looking in the wrong way.

People are fearful of the uncertain, but maybe "aliens" are not to be feared. They may just be watching over us.

My thoughts and opinion, before I get hopped upon by the vultures.

• Like 1

My thoughts on the OP: "Why are you looking for evidence of extraterrestrials? What's the point?"

As Humans we fall into the premise of The Human Condition. Before, I go further, the following is stated as a direct definition of this Human Condition: "The human condition encompasses the unique features of being human. It can be described as the irreducible part of humanity that is inherent and not dependent on factors such as gender, race or class. It includes concerns such as the meaning of life, the search for gratification, the sense of curiosity, the inevitability of isolation, or anxiety regarding the inescapabilty of death." (Wikipedia: Human Condition).

Time and time again this question of 'Why do we bother searching for other intelligent life?" And time and time again this question has been answered in a plethora of ways to which always stems from some base of the answer involving the Human Condition.

I believe that because we have a natural right of Free Will that it inspires the Human Condition which compels us to strive further, to seek that of which is unknown to us, to make our dreams become tangible enough to be able to have that sense of 'We have conquered it!' Because we have Free Will we often feel as though we are limitless in our imaginations and we hold firmly to our individuality humanity which beckons us to go further than we have before. The question as to 'Are we alone?' is never ending and because it is never ending, I believe that is why we will never stop 'searching' - even as elusive as that may be, we simply continue towards answering that question because as far as -anyone- knows, the one thing that we -do- know is that it is impossible for us to be alone and now we simply seek our own collective truth. Some people just happen to invest more money into such endeavours and that is their choice. I would like to think that those that can not afford such large amounts to donate to such a cause should be grateful that there are people out there doing exactly what they wish to do for the sake of the Human Condition.

Perhaps, there is a small part of us all that has an entirely different reason for continuing such searches. Perhaps, within the stardust that makes every single one of us up, there is a residual feeling of missing our stellar nursery. Humans have always looked and reached for the stars. This is not only a wonderment of awe, but perhaps, there is even an actual reason as to why we -all- are so easily transfixed on what is above and beyond us. A 'reminder' within our DNA to tell us, 'Forever in the stars, will be forever your home.'

...or at least that is how I feel when I look up. It compels me to 'keep looking.'

Great Thread, OP :tu:

Kind Regards :)

Mankind are explorers, thats what we do. Look for answers to everything.

• Like 1

As I believe many ET races would be (my personal, completely unfounded opinion based on a sample of one :P).

Cheers,

Badeskov

As I believe many ET races would be (my personal, completely unfounded opinion based on a sample of one :P).

Cheers,

Badeskov

I hear ya Buddy !

After I read the above, it made me think: As mankind/Humans has a compulsion to explore and to seek answers, then I wonder where did that come from? Yes, I'm sure it can be debated that it is because from our very first stages of becoming the 'modern' version of what we are today, it's been the need in which to survive. That's a given. All species and races would have that instinct. -I- would personally believe.

But as to this deeper instinct to go above and beyond...surely that has come from somewhere else in our history.

If children can inherit traits of their parents to a degree, then is it not right to also think that perhaps -we- inherited something from our stellar parents? As we are all made up of stardust.

Just a ponderment!

Kind Regards :)

I think a better question is,

Why wont "they" lets us find them?

There is a blindingly obvious answer to that question, but i'll let you figure it out.

here we go people, a vid..

"The SETI Institute's Jill Tarter makes her TED Prize wish: to accelerate our search for cosmic company. Using a growing array of radio telescopes, she and her team listen for patterns that may be a sign of intelligence elsewhere in the universe"

Jill Tarter: Why the search for alien intelligence matters. 20 minutes.

If you find it dull in any way, FFWD to 17 mins for the meatier stuff

[media=]

[/media] Edited by seeder