Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do movies influence UFO sightings ?

As far as the topic question goes, I don't think movies have much influence on sightings/experiences at all. Well, perhaps on the attention seekers of the world who crave a spotlight, but for the majority of folk? Nah.

I don't remember too many people seeing dinosaurs after Jurassic Park came out.

• Like 1

Here's a quote I just read in a recent UFO report:

"I live in a small town in the middle of Oklahoma, so I won't give the town's name as to be too easily identified by neighbors as "that crazy down the street.""

As far as the topic question goes, I don't think movies have much influence on sightings/experiences at all. Well, perhaps on the attention seekers of the world who crave a spotlight, but for the majority of folk? Nah.

You have to use different perspectives to see it...how others may see it. Movies do without doubt influence people. Didnt they use to say on TV before they showed PeterPan..."kids, dont try this at home" - ie, jumping out the window wishing I CAN FLY.

I grew up in the late 60's onwards. When Bruce Lee was in cinemas in the 70's we used to go watch them, upon exit of the cinema, most young males would be doing the Bruce Lee...'oooh- wahhh' sounds and letting of side kicks!

Then we had JAWS, which created a fear in people worldwide of sharks... ( a good fear to have really)... I even remember being sh!t scared in a private pool where I was swimming alone one day, of a shadow at other end... all I could think of was..JAWS.

There are countless examples of how movies influence people. The Exorcist movie used to be billed as having made people leave the cinema... I remember they used to show secret cam pics of the audience looking petrified...

and didnt the first Rocky movie inspire countless people, (myself especially) to train, run up stairs...persevere! I got into boxing JUST because of that film!

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

I had to leave the theater during "Jaws". I was eight, but still.

hehehe :w00t: Yeh and still to this day, whenever I go swimming in the 'real sea'... in whatever country, even the UK, JAWS is on my mind. I used to fearlessly swim about, never a care in the world... but jaws changed the whole game for me, and countless others. Just glad I dont live in OZ...

Of course they do, it's what started the whole thing off.

• Like 1

Of course they do, it's what started the whole thing off.

I thought also that the newspaper report of Roswell and its "flying discs" probably got everyone going as well. It may be a bit like Foxx Mulder's poster in the X-Files, the one that says "I want to believe", and that too will color one's perception.

BTW, does you location of "a green a pleasant land" come from Blake's poem?

ROFL seeder, you are right to fear our waters. :P

Mind you I hate the bloody ocean because salt water makes me feel sticky and bleh, I have slipped up a few times and been careless. Swam on the beach at sunrise just after the trawlers go into dock (and drop the blood and guts along the way) in a renown place for sharks... big night previously didn't even think twice untill I got home and went HOLY ****ING BAT FLIPPING MONKEYS!

Second time was snorkling by myself and seen a 1.5m (approx.) reef shark about 20-50m (don't know what the water visibility was that day but it looked a fair bit back on the brink of being able to see it) away from me, looked down at the coral then looked back up and it was gone. TBH I'm more worried about Crocodiles.

Blackwater and Rogue did not help with that fear haha. I had seen the inspiring crocodile's (there's about 8 BIGBOY! crocs I have seen in my time but undoubtly hundreds more) photos from the NT, they weren't having a pull when the sized the croc for the movie. Most screwed up thing about them is, Reef/Ocean/Fresh Water/Salt Water/Estury they will go anywhere if they want to.

Movies intrigue the mind of reality and tend to warp general thoughts. Over conciousness of fear is what really let's the boogie man in. We live normally with the fact the we could all die at any given moment because some idiot presses a red button. Bred to be insensitive on the important things which leads to an oversensitive "ground based fear".

Still f* spiders.

• Like 2

I just remember those Flying Monkeys in the Orig,Oz ! Wow ! I didnt sleep for weeks !

And then as a grown man Alien just about did me in for chest pains ! :tu:

justDONTEATUS !

• Like 2

Of course they do. More people will be looking for UFOs, more people will be inspired to hoax UFOs, more people will think random objects in the skies are UFOs.

_46218596_ufo_466.gif

Same psychology applies to other types of movies. Normally you wouldnt be to scared to walk around in your house during the night, but after watching a ghost or horror movie, I bet you'll think about it more.

Edited by AlienDan
  • Like 3

I don't remember too many people seeing dinosaurs after Jurassic Park came out.

Dinosaurs and UFOs, brilliant logic, yeah, the exact same thing.

• Like 2

Do you really think so? really? they don't have much influence?

After people are exposed to the UFO phenomenon through movies or pop culture, they're more likely to attribute any weird occurrence in the sky to them.

• Like 1

Do you really think so? really? they don't have much influence?

After people are exposed to the UFO phenomenon through movies or pop culture, they're more likely to attribute any weird occurrence in the sky to them.

and before sci fi movies, heck before TV, there wasnt so much talk of ufo's or aliens, at all. It has to a large extent...exploded since we all got TV and the associated media played on it. A larger increase in ET/UFO phenomena took place at a similar time as the space race was on, first trip to the moon and all that, it opened peoples imaginations and made them think of space more

I also think a very telling thing is this: Most early abduction reports for example, have the person recount stories of the insides of craft having levers.. maybe a few buttons. A bit like the old Flash Gordon type ships.... which is funny really, because WE used levers and buttons in the similar period. But now, most equipment we have is screens/monitors, keyboards and mice, OK we are moving more and more into touch screens and voice commands, holograms etc, and we are hardly very advanced even now.

I'm not so sure. It's possible that we are the most "advanced" creatures there are. I understand in the context of talking about aliens crossing billions of miles to get here, we seem to be behind. We may have the best tech out there.

and before sci fi movies, heck before TV, there wasnt so much talk of ufo's or aliens, at all. It has to a large extent...exploded since we all got TV and the associated media played on it. A larger increase in ET/UFO phenomena took place at a similar time as the space race was on, first trip to the moon and all that, it opened peoples imaginations and made them think of space more

Before TV odd happenings were often attributed to wee folk or held some religious significance or some other rather Earthly explanation. It hasn't always been about aliens from space, that is a relatively new development.

Edited by Slave2Fate
  • Like 2

Define "real evidence".

I think "real evidence is self-defined.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently a picture posted to the internet from a camera that has multi-mega pixel capabilities would be real evidence. Right?

It would be better than anecdotal stories and blurry blobs. Imagine a craft being photographed clearly from multiple locations.

Think Russian meteor. While it may not prove definitively that it is an alien space ship it would certainly go a long way to prevent the usual "could be anything" response.

Also keep in mind the evidence required by us evil skeptics varies just as it does for those that believe.

Oh yes, I realise the skeptics (well, some of them) of the world are just sitting around waiting for evidence to materialise on the chat forums of the interwebz :tu:

I've seen plenty of questionable videos and photographs, both of UFOs and more my field, ghosts, and shock horror - they're never given a look. And if they are *deep breath*...

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

To me the 'everything can be faked in a photo' has become an excuse. Of course things can be faked using CGI but that should not automatically disqualify every photograph taken. A persons testimony relies on there memory of an event. Memory is extremely unreliable and prone to unintentional modification. While there are many fake or edited photographs out there if there are ANY real ones the information contained is more 'factual' than a story. Again, imagine multiple photos from several locations similar to the Russian meteor. The larger the number of images the less likely it is to be faked. Multiple eyewitnesses would be given the same credence.

Eyewitnesses can certainly lie even in groups, whether intentionally or not. Humans have that down to a fine art and have done so since we likely started communicating and yet that is a better source of evidence??

Think about how many people spend time actually looking at the sky. Not many. When a movie comes out about aliens zipping around many people are going to look up. Due to not being aware of what is 'up there' they likely will see things they are not used to. Some of them are going to see 'UFO's and some of them are going to draw the conclusion, often mistakenly, that they are alien ships when it could be completely prosaic.

I do not automatically discount accounts of UFO sightings. It is just that an account is just that, an account. Nothing about a story can be verified without additional evidence to back it up.

• Like 2

Found this article on the faultiness of eyewitness testimony. Interesting.

Why Science Tells Us Not to Rely on Eyewitness Accounts - Scientific America

Indeed man is too unsure about most things he see`s and is exposed to. And by the fourth or fifth re-telling of any story things change. And movies do tend to sway ones concept of events.

But Some sightings are just too amazing not to look at a bit deeper.

There Out there,And Just WHat If we get to Greet & Meet them some day? Are you ready for that day? Maybe it will be a greet and Eat, Or Just scrub the planet off for the resources ! IMO it could happen. So Party Now and Enjoy your Lifes to the Fullest !

.you guys want real research and info on the supernatural and paranormal and UFOs people read actual books

Yep..... And they can all be found in the science fiction/fantasy section.

• Like 1

Found this article on the faultiness of eyewitness testimony. Interesting.

Why Science Tells Us Not to Rely on Eyewitness Accounts - Scientific America

Precisely!! . :tu:

..so imagine youre driving by someones house on a sunny day, and you see a murder victim....

funny-optical-illusions-22.jpg

And when you called the police and they went there...no body could be found. BUT YOU SAW IT WITH YOUR OWN EYES!!

so you think....

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

and people who suffer pareidolia tend to see a little midget-man riding a woman's back,,

Funny-optical-illusion-e1358803557821.jpg

• Like 6