Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Class A EVP

thefcc

Thanks for the replies.

My friend also thought it was my name being said. For me, I am hearing clearly the words " baby talk"

Also, interesting for those who mentioned a name: my name is Francis (Fran)

I heard "Frankie"

it seems that my newbie-ish use of the term "Class A EVP" as thread title may have upset some here. But to me, an avid "paranormalist" who has listened and heard to countless EVPs on the net and TV, this was a fairly clear representation of what I have been shown to be defined as Class A. It's clear that the majority on here hear SOMEthing in the recording. Of course I do, and it clearly is a whisper, and that whisper is clearly saying something in response to my presence. Like I said, I hear "Baby talk", and perhaps I am predisposed to the notion that I was carrying my toddler at the time and I feel the spirit(s) there were noting that. I also agree it is a woman's voice.

I am not naive to the fact that I probably WANT to believe I hear something whenever I do a recording, as it is somewhat of a coping mechanism for me, so I will pick out anything abnormal and may possibly apply a meaning to it. That is what made me come to this forum in the first place--to get some validation from both those who believe, and those who are more skeptical. I thank you all for both sides of the response. I certainly can 100% that this is real--no lying from this OP.

and like I promised, I will shortly post another decent recording from this very same gravesite location from a while back.

and also, just to clarify, I am a male, and my toddler is my son. :)

here is the older EVP from the same gravesite. it's quick, so I hope I am not steering anyone too easily to hear something...

but this is the one that got me very interested (and believing) in unexplained things, so to speak. it was also extremely comforting, as this was the first xmas after the passing of my mother.

listen closely...

122311.mp3

Edited by thefcc

the first set definitly sounded like "thanks..." to me.

No one assumed anything. I was asking his opinion of the whisper, in case my word 'fact' be incorrect in his eyes. People tend to hate that word being thrown around lightly.

I was speaking in general. And you said 'fact' in your quote. :P

• Like 1

You seem to agree it is a whisper, after first saying you can't hear where a whisper is, and then wondering if it was the whisper you heard.

I listened to the recording multiple times and couldn't hear anything that was obviously interesting. Like the ghost photos that are posted here regularly, it was only when I read a post that said the whisper was in a particular place that I was aware of what others were hearing (and like some ghost photos, beyond agreement that there is a whispering sound, there's no agreement as to what is actually being heard - Bradley, Randy, "baby talk", something like "give vaguely" or "get fakey", Frankie, definitely sounds like "thanks", etc. (that's a pretty wide set of interpretations for what is being described as the clearest example of 'staggering results' the OP has recorded).
Then you complain that we don't know what it's saying exactly.
We don't know what it's saying exactly. Read the list of interpretations I gave above, we don't even know what's it's saying vaguely, if indeed it is saying something at all. Just like ghost pictures where you need to squint your eyes and look at the photo from a certain angle to even see a "face", you need to listen to this and try and assume that the whispering sound is actually words and then try and guess what words they are. The fact that such a wide variety of sounds is being heard by different people makes me doubt that it's a human voice at all, just a low whispering sound that people are trying to interpret as a human voice, hence the lack of agreement on what it says, such that one person hears "Bradley", another clearly hears "baby talk", I hear "get fakey" and someone else hears "Frankie". And this is a Class A EVP, the clearest example of 'staggering results'? I shudder to think what constitutes a Class B EVP or what the other less clear 'staggering results' were.
Doesn't the fact that something whispered by someone/something that wasn't in the immediate area criteria enough to make this a high class EVP
Does it? If people agree that there is an barely decipherable whisper on a sound recording, that is enough for the paranormal community to designate it a 'high class EVP'? Again I'll ask, what is a mid class EVP or a low class EVP? I don't even agree that it's a human voice. It is like a lot of claimed paranormal phenomena - it's vague, hard to interpret, the interpretation is widely disagreed upon, etc.
Or are you under the assumption that that isn't a fact, and the OP is lying?
Who said anything about the OP lying? When I think someone is wrong about something, it doesn't mean I think they are lying.
Or does that not matter whether it is a whisper or not; just if we can understand exactly what's said or not?
We can't understand 'exactly' what is being said. We can't understand even vaguely what is being said (and I don't even agree that someone is saying anything, I was just posting above ("give vaguely" or "get fakey" being my interpretations about what might being said if it was indeed an actual voice).

My main issue is the overhyped description (Class A, 'staggering results', definitely sounds like X, clearly sounds like Y) of what is a vague low whispering sound on an iPhone recording.

Edited by Archimedes

Only you can decide what is "class A" in your eyes.

We all heard a whisper, and found it striking.

I'll just leave something to noodle over a bit. As powerful the mind is in hearing what it wants to, it is equally as effective in tossing or blocking out what it doesn't want or expect to hear. It is always a two way street.

Only you can decide what is "class A" in your eyes.

So the phrase "Class A" when used in context of EVP recordings is a vague, undefined term whose use is determined by the person who listens to a supposed EVP recording? It doesn't speak well for the proponents of EVP phenomena that all it takes to classify something as being scientifically sounding like a "Class A Recording" is for an individual to make a personal opinion that it is a "Class A" "EVP" recording.
We all heard a whisper, and found it striking.
Did we really all find is striking? I didn't and I can't speak for everyone who downloaded and listened to to the MP3 in the OP. I think you're jumping the gun here with this baseless assertion. I agreed that it was a 'whispering sound', I never said it was striking and I never agreed that was an actual recording of a human voice. Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 1

So the phrase "Class A" when used in context of EVP recordings is a vague, undefined term whose use is determined by the person who listens to a supposed EVP recording?

Why, yes. Unless you know of some corporation or university that hands out official EVP classifications. It's a paranormal theory and practice. Is that all you wanted to hear? A categorization by armchair enthusiasts of sorts, about a vague, mostly undefined subject aren't official or held to any certain criteria?

Well, duh.

Right?

Did we really all find is striking? I didn't and I can't speak for everyone who downloaded and listened to to the MP3 in the OP. I think you're jumping the gun here with this baseless assertion. I agreed that it was a 'whispering sound', I never said it was striking and I never agreed that was an actual recording of a human voice.

I must admit I don't care about all of that. Again, your opinion is your own, and no one is keeping score. I wasn't implying that it mattered how many in a headcount feel a certain way.

I've just had a few listens to this and I can hear the whisper, but it sounds like "ravey", "revvy" or even "gravy" so not much sense in my interpretation!

Why, yes. Unless you know of some corporation or university that hands out official EVP classifications. It's a paranormal theory and practice. Is that all you wanted to hear? A categorization by armchair enthusiasts of sorts, about a vague, mostly undefined subject aren't official or held to any certain criteria?

A quick Google search for definitions of the classes of EVP shows that this definitely is NOT a Class A. Class A EVPs are defined as being crystal clear with no need for enhancement or amplification and that what is being said is not prone to misinterpretation.

Class B EVPs are however less distinct, need to be enhanced or amplified to be heard properly and even people might not agree on what is being said.

Example definitions:

Class A:The voices are understood by all listen. The words are actually somewhat load and clear. Voices or sound that is universally accepted and undisputed, because it must be understood by anyone with normal hearing and without being told or prompted to what is being said or heard. It can be heard without the use of headphones

Class B:Voices cannot be deciphered clearly and tones are very low and hard to understand. This class ofvoice is more common and can be heard by most people after being told what to listen for. It is usually audible to experienced persons who have learned the skill of listening to EVP. It can sometimes be heard without the use of headphones.

http://www.nemghs.com/evp-classes.html

The follow is the classifications of EVPs that are generally accepted and used by paranormal researchers and investigators:

Class A - This type of EVP is loud, clear and of very high quality. The voice is easily understandable and does not need enhancement or amplification. Class A EVPs are also often (but not always) in direct response to a question being asked.

Class B - This is the most common type of EVP. This type of EVP is of somewhat lower quality and clarity than a Class A EVP but still very audible. Class B EVPs often do need some amount of enhancement or amplification to be heard clearer. The voice may not be clear enough to be totally understood or there may be disagreement as to what it is saying. Class B EVPs are often not in direct response to a question.

http://liparanormali...ification.shtml

This is one is much stricter and would probably classify the OP's recording as Class C ("very difficult it not impossible to interpret" which perfectly describes the multiple attempts on this thread to provide an interpretation):

class C .. The class C EVP is the most common type captured. It is very faint, almost whispery even. Class C EVPs almost always require headphones for listening and are very difficult if not impossible to interpret. Most class Cs are noises as opposed to words and sentences.

class B... Class Bs are a little different. Class B EVPs are more audible. They may require headphones but most do not. You will be able to hear at least a few words out of a sentence in a class B EVP.

class A... The class A EVP is by far the rarest to collect. Class As are very clear and do not require headphones at all to be heard. Full senetences and phrases can be heard without alteration by way of any editor or other software. Class A EVPs are very difficult to come by.

It appears the paranormal community has some standards for classing EVPs and this is not the amazing top category recording it is being made out to be.

Perhaps I'm being nitpicky, but my objection is to the hyperbola being used to describe this recording. It might be interesting in its own right, but it does the paranormal community no favours to describe it as being better than previous "staggering results", and that it is put into the highest rating category it clearly doesn't belong in. Not much point in having a classification scheme if "armchair enthusiasts" can throw their findings into any category they choose on their own whim.

Edited by Archimedes

...."peass nuuhh burder..."

There are so so so many variables when recorind audio outside of a sound proof studio that it's just ridiculous to put any weight into EVPs. Even if your ears don't hear a sound while you are recording, a good mic can certainly pick-up all kinds of evironmental sounds and hisses. I create alot of web-based e-learning, and I don't have a proper sound studio, just a nice mic and a silly little mini-studio.

Even with filters I still have to go back and edit sounds files to remove various sounds and interference.

quite a "spirited" conversation here (sorry, had to...)

anyway, it's clear Archimedes is a skeptic, but that makes the world go round. I actually work as a professional audio tech, so my ears definitely are my livelihood. I rely on them literally to pay my bills, so I take a lot of stock in what I hear here.

anyone have any reaction to the second audio clip I posted?

I definitely hear something but not sure what, I believe you are telling the truth. That isn't to say it is a definite EVP, I don't think you can be sure of anything with technology these days though it is a possibility. Usually one would tell us what to hear or make the clip sound more apparent and not include a child or give a silly backstory to make it seem macabre if they are seeking attention. It is also interesting to hear the child respond, whether that was coincidence or not, who knows :)

Edited by DancingCorpse

Well I'm toasted, so really that's all. Everyone hug each other.

Well I'm toasted, so really that's all. Everyone hug each other.

Haha :) I was like that last night, need to review what I've posted in case I've been rude :innocent:

Still, regarding the EVP, I don't think it's a class A at all, but you can certainly hear something. The range and variety of our interpretations confirm that I think.

• Like 1

ha...

going to change the title of this thread from 'Class A EVP' to 'hey everyone I am new and I have an EVP (I Think) and was wondering if you also hear it too but dont worry about if its class A or not because cares right?'

cool.

• Like 1

ha...

going to change the title of this thread from 'Class A EVP' to 'hey everyone I am new and I have an EVP (I Think) and was wondering if you also hear it too but dont worry about if its class A or not because cares right?'

cool.

:huh:

• Like 1