Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Forgotten soldier who battled 4,000 Zulus

Commander CMG

A soldier who survived the Battle of Rorke’s Drift against 4,000 Zulus only to be forgotten on its Roll of Honour has finally been hailed a war hero – thanks to a 130-year-old sketch.

Private David Jenkins was among the 150 soldiers who fought in the heroic defence of the small South African missionary outpost in 1879, which was immortalised by the film Zulu starring Michael Caine.

Such was the bravery shown by the heavily outnumbered troops that after the battle 11 Victoria Crosses were awarded.

arrow3.gifView: Read more:

• Like 4

I can't imagine how frightened those men must of been but very brave indeed.

• Like 3

That's a really cool story! :clap:

I can't imagine how frightened those men must of been but very brave indeed.

Under extreme adverse situations like that, I don't know if bravery comes into it.. something else kicks in and many individuals call it adrenalin.. but it is something else..

Just my opinion and nothing to base it on.

Some fifty years ago I read the article about Isandhwana and Rourkes Drift in a copy of 'The Times' in a dusty library archive.The deaths of around a thousand British soldiers and native levvies was severely criticized by the paper....... "When are our generals going to realise the stupidity of their attitude that.... "A handful of British soldiers can defeat any amount of naked savages"

General Chelmsford was responsible for not listening to the Boer scouts who advised him to 'laager' the camp at Isandhwana against a surprise attack.There were hundreds of ox waggons that could have been formed into a defensive circle.

Custer had the same attitude towards natives with a similar result.

I'm sorry but how is this man or any of the British invaders heros? Thats kind of like saying Custer and his band of murders were heros.

I'm sorry but how is this man or any of the British invaders heros? Thats kind of like saying Custer and his band of murders were heros.

The men at Rorke's Drift were defending a mission station. They weren't attacking anyone. Kinda like the guys at the Alamo, cept they won.

• Like 2

The men at Rorke's Drift were defending a mission station. They weren't attacking anyone. Kinda like the guys at the Alamo, cept they won.

Didn't know John Wayne was at Rorkes Drift! :whistle:

Edited by zebra99

Didn't know John Wayne was at Rorkes Drift! :whistle:

He wasn't... but Michael Caine was!

• Like 1

I have to post this clip from the movie:

[media=]

[/media] Edited by xsas

The Zulu war chant (At around 3 mins) and the shout of 'Usuthu' (Kill) when charging is typical Zulu.

Hmmmmm!...Then why is it in the opening scenes of 'Gladiator' you will hear the identical chant and 'Usuthu'

coming from the mouths of the barbarians as they take on the Romans. Methinks somebody has been nicking soundtracks... :whistle:

To be fair, the Zulus were invaders themselves, having displaced the San who were the true autochthons. Also, the national culture the Zulus developed under Shaka was as close to European fascism as the world would see for another hundred years. Not nice people at all, and certainly not worth wasting indignation over.

Besides, 'heroic' and 'worthy' have nothing to do with each other: Hitler had an earned Iron Cross First Class, after all.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

We won the Mexican War, though. BTW, some of the Alamo's defenders were....Mexican. You'll find their names listed with Bowie and Crockett. "Remember the Alamo!"

• Like 1