Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Patients & staff should be banned from smokin

Commander CMG

• NHS should adopt a 'no concessions' policy on smoking, according to draft guidance from NICE
  • Smoking shelters should be removed from hospitals and staff disciplined for smoking in uniform
  • Patients and their relatives should be offered nicotine gum and patches instead

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Most hospitals won't let you smoke on their property now and its been that way for quit sometime.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 5

It is their property......They can not tell people not to smoke anywhere else though. ( no smoking allowed at all )

yep because of the attitude of the general public allowing the government to ban anything they want, slowly slowly it's turning into communism. That's right, that's when the government has full control on what you say or do. For sure ban smoking, hell ban marijuana too! ban them for riding around with loud motor vehicles, including motorcycles, ban everything that may be bad to society, oh don't just ban, create another form of tax when someone does something wrong! Give them a fine. Fine them for speeding over 3km/h. Fine them for littering, fine them if they dont comply to the rules. Fine them all! Because it's the best way to get more tax for the economy. Then one day the people will wake up to themselves and start complaining that the very society that they live in makes them so unhappy. Thank god I don't live in america! God bless america!

• Like 2

Seems like common sense... hospitals are for getting healthy not breathing in second hand smoke or smelling the horrid eau de stale diarrhea scent of someone who just had a cigarette.

Don't get me wrong, I used to smoke, I think people have the right to smoke cigarettes but not at the cost of someone elses health and comfort. Because, face it, until smokers can control where the smoke goes it is assaulting someone elses senses.

I live in an apartment with enclosed lanais but my neighbor smokes and it just blows straight into my apartment even if I close all my windows.

So, who's rights are being violated in my situation? If I don't want to breathe it in I have to leave my apartment. If I don't want my apartment to smell like stale cigarettes, I have to go out and spend MY money to counteract the effect of another persons actions. If I complain, I am a b****. Never mind the whole second hand smoke inhalation argument.

The law in Hawaii is, you must be 20 feet from a doorway or entrance to smoke. Well, we all know that smoke floats, so that means any non sMoker, regardless of who was there first, had to go out of their way to accommodate the smoker, yet again.

If you want to drink alcohol, you can't drive because you could hurt other people. If you choose to smoke cigarettes you can whine about how the government is trying to control everything and light up another ******* cigarette and not give a **** about anyone else because it's all about you.

Never mind that breathing air is not a choice for us but a necessity whereas smoking cigarettes is a choice that all smokers FORCE upon non smokers.

• Like 2

Seems like common sense... hospitals are for getting healthy not breathing in second hand smoke or smelling the horrid eau de stale diarrhea scent of someone who just had a cigarette.

Don't get me wrong, I used to smoke, I think people have the right to smoke cigarettes but not at the cost of someone elses health and comfort. Because, face it, until smokers can control where the smoke goes it is assaulting someone elses senses.

I live in an apartment with enclosed lanais but my neighbor smokes and it just blows straight into my apartment even if I close all my windows.

So, who's rights are being violated in my situation? If I don't want to breathe it in I have to leave my apartment. If I don't want my apartment to smell like stale cigarettes, I have to go out and spend MY money to counteract the effect of another persons actions. If I complain, I am a b****. Never mind the whole second hand smoke inhalation argument.

The law in Hawaii is, you must be 20 feet from a doorway or entrance to smoke. Well, we all know that smoke floats, so that means any non sMoker, regardless of who was there first, had to go out of their way to accommodate the smoker, yet again.

If you want to drink alcohol, you can't drive because you could hurt other people. If you choose to smoke cigarettes you can whine about how the government is trying to control everything and light up another ******* cigarette and not give a **** about anyone else because it's all about you.

Never mind that breathing air is not a choice for us but a necessity whereas smoking cigarettes is a choice that all smokers FORCE upon non smokers.

Ex-Smokers are the worst....

People that never smoked do not complain as much as ex-smokers.....I find that odd.

• Like 1

a hospital in sunderland tried to enforce this and it led to a porter (following instructions from his boss to enforce it)getting his nose broken from a head but .if they want to do this who will enforce it ?doctors being beaten up nurses? .it is unenforcable unless we spend money on security which lets face it isnt going to happen.

Ex-Smokers are the worst....

People that never smoked do not complain as much as ex-smokers.....I find that odd.

It is true that ex smokers complain a lot, it's because once you've been clean for awhile the body reacts adversely to the poison of cigarettes. I think back and wonder what was so pleasurable about cigarettes.

As far as people who have never smoked before not complaining as much, that ha not been my experience.

Like I said in my previous post, I will stop complaining when the smoke stops stinking up my property, my air and my lungs. Smokers should smoke all they want, until their lungs turn into shriveled raisins if that's the case but DON'T FORCE ME TO SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCE OF YOUR CHOICE.

Just because one might find my statements annoying doesn't make them any less valid.

• Like 1

It is true that ex smokers complain a lot, it's because once you've been clean for awhile the body reacts adversely to the poison of cigarettes. I think back and wonder what was so pleasurable about cigarettes.

As far as people who have never smoked before not complaining as much, that ha not been my experience.

Like I said in my previous post, I will stop complaining when the smoke stops stinking up my property, my air and my lungs. Smokers should smoke all they want, until their lungs turn into shriveled raisins if that's the case but DON'T FORCE ME TO SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCE OF YOUR CHOICE.

Just because one might find my statements annoying doesn't make them any less valid.

I had smoked, quit for 5 years ( only smoked about 2 ). During that time, cigarettes bothered me worse then when I did not smoke at all. I think ex-smokers are more sensitive to the smell.

Wish I could quit again......

Let me extend then your valid annoyance to something equally valid and annoying:

I hate air fresheners. They give me nausea. From those horrible little stinky trees that hang even in buses to those god awful containers of carcinogens people spray all over their houses and what’s the real problem – in each store or office.

I don’t want that poison on my skin and in my lungs, yet I have no choice but to exist in first and second hand clouds of substances that may smell good to someone but smell like chemical warfare to me.

I want air fresheners banned from all public places and if you intend to use them in your own home, make sure they don’t leak out and contaminate my air.

I want my cancer to come from less artificial and less barf-inducing source.

Then we must also ban stripes and dots. Such patterns may trigger epileptic seizures. Sudden flashes of light too.

Then ban music altogether because each genre drives someone insane.

Ban low waist pants too, because fat people look like muffins in them and it spoils my appetite and will make me anorexic in the end.

Back to cancer, ban all internal combustion engines and petrochemical industry, because of carcinogenic aromatic carbohydrates and because I don’t want your exhaust pipe stinking up air above my sidewalk.

Ban all fires, including birthday cake candles, because any combustion produces carcinogens.

Or, we could simply ban densely populated areas and suddenly no one would care who stinks of what because everyone would have some private space and reasonably unstinked by others air.

Smoking is bad, almost like industrial and traffic pollution, and though banning it seems like doing something, it’s actually bizarre measure for as long as nothing was done about smog. Or god damned air fresheners. Cancer in a can. Ew.

• Like 4

It Patients who smoke that I have seen and they look horrible! I say ban smoking patients

Let me extend then your valid annoyance to something equally valid and annoying:

I hate air fresheners. They give me nausea. From those horrible little stinky trees that hang even in buses to those god awful containers of carcinogens people spray all over their houses and what’s the real problem – in each store or office.

I don’t want that poison on my skin and in my lungs, yet I have no choice but to exist in first and second hand clouds of substances that may smell good to someone but smell like chemical warfare to me.

I want air fresheners banned from all public places and if you intend to use them in your own home, make sure they don’t leak out and contaminate my air.

I want my cancer to come from less artificial and less barf-inducing source.

Then we must also ban stripes and dots. Such patterns may trigger epileptic seizures. Sudden flashes of light too.

Then ban music altogether because each genre drives someone insane.

Ban low waist pants too, because fat people look like muffins in them and it spoils my appetite and will make me anorexic in the end.

Back to cancer, ban all internal combustion engines and petrochemical industry, because of carcinogenic aromatic carbohydrates and because I don’t want your exhaust pipe stinking up air above my sidewalk.

Ban all fires, including birthday cake candles, because any combustion produces carcinogens.

Or, we could simply ban densely populated areas and suddenly no one would care who stinks of what because everyone would have some private space and reasonably unstinked by others air.

Smoking is bad, almost like industrial and traffic pollution, and though banning it seems like doing something, it’s actually bizarre measure for as long as nothing was done about smog. Or god damned air fresheners. Cancer in a can. Ew.

Whatever floats your boat lady.

You might want to note that I don't give rat turd if people smoke, I just don't want to be forced to breathe it in. It's simple act of consideration that I'm led to believe is too much to ask for from smokers.

If that's the case maybe I should walk around spraying air fresheners.

I'll make sure to note not to use air fresheners if you should come to my house. Which smells of lavender fields.

Edited by Lava_Lady

yep because of the attitude of the general public allowing the government to ban anything they want, slowly slowly it's turning into communism. That's right, that's when the government has full control on what you say or do. For sure ban smoking, hell ban marijuana too! ban them for riding around with loud motor vehicles, including motorcycles, ban everything that may be bad to society, oh don't just ban, create another form of tax when someone does something wrong! Give them a fine. Fine them for speeding over 3km/h. Fine them for littering, fine them if they dont comply to the rules. Fine them all! Because it's the best way to get more tax for the economy. Then one day the people will wake up to themselves and start complaining that the very society that they live in makes them so unhappy. Thank god I don't live in america! God bless america!

The article is talking about hospitals in the UK not America.

• Like 2

I was in hospital a couple of weeks ago and there were a lot of patients going outside for a smoke. The NHS has got a big problem enforcing a 'no smoking anywhere on hospital grounds'. I can vouch that there would be riots on the wards. I am in and out of hospital and patients who do smoke get REALLY aggitated without their ciggies and putting a nicotine patch on doesn't sort their cravings.

Also, I was speaking to one of the nurses who was rushing off for her lunch break and she told me that she had to go off the grounds to have a ciggy or risk being disciplined. She also told me that the hospital had been photographing staff just off the grounds who were smoking :unsure2:

Whatever floats your boat lady.

Second-hand air fresheners make me barf in my boat. Second-hand exhaust fumes nurture my future cancer, but hey, you need your car so it’s all right I drop dead because of what you want and choose to ignore its dangers.

You might want to note that I don't give rat turd if people smoke, I just don't want to be forced to breathe it in. It's simple act of consideration that I'm led to believe is too much to ask for from smokers.

If that's the case maybe I should walk around spraying air fresheners.

I noticed you don’t give a rat turd about others. It’s only what you like or don’t like. What you choose to insist on and what you choose to ignore. Very convenient. I'd ban such conveniences by law.

I'll make sure to note not to use air fresheners if you should come to my house. Which smells of lavender fields.

How nice of you. Just like a smoker choosing not to smoke when non-smokers drop by.

And that is not enough - according to you.

Not enough. You have to be stopped by the law from spreading carcinogens of your choice. Your carcinogenic chemicals escape from your private property, giving cancer to anyone who lives near you.

Just because you choose to ignore your carcinogens are carcinogen it doesn’t make them less dangerous.

So I’d call your neighbourhood situation even, with notable exception that your neighbours probably don’t post about aggressive smells from your place, because media hasn’t put people’s minds into crusade against that particular set of carcinogens mode.

It’s not only acceptable but it’s also fashionable to take your frustrations out on smokers, and I’m growing slightly tired of that.

And little something Lava Lady didn’t touch but I want to cover too:

The medical expenses of my future cancer were paid entirely by all the cigarettes I bought so far. (Larger part of price of tobacco goes directly into state budget over here.) I am actually by smoking from now on covering some cheap non-smokers expenses, because NEWSFLASH non-smokers get cancer too.

And then everyone says in consternation: “But, but uncle Joe... he never smoked! He was such a nice man, working in asbestos factory and then in the garage apart from that time he spent in nuclear plant. How on earth he, of all people, got cancer?!”

I really wouldn’t know.

A designated smoking area would solve this issue.

Amen.

But since that’s not enough for some, it’s clearly not about health anymore, it’s a witch hunt.

• Like 2

Amen.

But since that’s not enough for some, it’s clearly not about health anymore, it’s a witch hunt.

I'm a smoker Helen. Somehow, when I'm in hospital I kind of manage without a ciggy, only because I would feel embarrassed standing at the door puffing away on a cigarette. Having said that, it really is hard for people to be in hospital, as it's a really stressful experience and not being able to smoke is doubly hard. A designated area for smokers is the best solution. Loads of the doctors and nurses smoke... I know this because my daughter is just about to qualify as a nurse and she say's it's so funny to hear them lecture the patients and then see them sneak off for a ciggy :w00t:

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 2

Second-hand air fresheners make me barf in my boat. Second-hand exhaust fumes nurture my future cancer, but hey, you need your car so it’s all right I drop dead because of what you want and choose to ignore its dangers.

I noticed you don’t give a rat turd about others. It’s only what you like or don’t like. What you choose to insist on and what you choose to ignore. Very convenient. I'd ban such conveniences by law.

How nice of you. Just like a smoker choosing not to smoke when non-smokers drop by.

Not enough. You have to be stopped by the law from spreading carcinogens of your choice. Your carcinogenic chemicals escape from your private property, giving cancer to anyone who lives near you.

Just because you choose to ignore your carcinogens are carcinogen it doesn’t make them less dangerous.

So I’d call your neighbourhood situation even, with notable exception that your neighbours probably don’t post about aggressive smells from your place, because media hasn’t put people’s minds into crusade against that particular set of carcinogens mode.

It’s not only acceptable but it’s also fashionable to take your frustrations out on smokers, and I’m growing slightly tired of that.

The medical expenses of my future cancer were paid entirely by all the cigarettes I bought so far. (Larger part of price of tobacco goes directly into state budget over here.) I am actually by smoking from now on covering some cheap non-smokers expenses, because NEWSFLASH non-smokers get cancer too.

And then everyone says in consternation: “But, but uncle Joe... he never smoked! He was such a nice man, working in asbestos factory and then in the garage apart from that time he spent in nuclear plant. How on earth he, of all people, got cancer?!”

I really wouldn’t know.

Don't explain why you smoke, smoke if you want to smoke. Your choice.

All I'm saying is, I don't want to be forced to breathe it in which is what happens when my neighbor smokes. That is what p***es me off, it is a valid complaint and you're angry because you're a smoker.

How do you know what my car gives off? I could be driving a prius for all you know.

Why should I care if someone chooses to smoke? According to smokers like you all air breathers do is complain. So, of I was to actually give a turd and express my concern, I'm sure I would be assaulted or at least get a stern and sarcastic lecture about how smokers have a right to smoke, and all the good stuff you must posted to me.

So, smoke till your hearts content. Just don't force me to smoke with you.

I really wouldn’t know.

I'm sorry, forgot to ask, what am I choosing to ignore?

I'm a smoker Helen. Somehow, when I'm in hospital I kind of manage without a ciggy, only because I would feel embarrassed standing at the door puffing away on a cigarette. Having said that, it really is hard for people to be in hospital, as it's a really stressful experience and not being able to smoke is doubly hard. A designated area for smokers is the best solution. Loads of the doctors and nurses smoke... I know this because my daughter is just about to qualify as a nurse and she say's it's so funny to hear them lecture the patients and then see them sneak off for a ciggy :w00t:

Of all doctors that I personally know only one is not a smoker and even she used to smoke when she was younger. It could be something linked with stressful profession. No matter how emotionally detached medical professionals have to be, they are constantly in touch with people with serious problems. And occasional hypochondriac, but they can drain you away more efficiently than physically ill people :D

There’s certain comfort in the little ritual that smoking is. For me personally. It’s not about nicotine, I’d be happy with chamomile rolled in toilet paper, it’s about routine moves and symbolic burning and puffing away the frustration. When hiking, I forget to smoke.

When working... it saves my mind to scurry away for a very quick smoke. We go out the back door and smoke behind the building, like we used to smoke behind school building when we were high school kids :lol: I wonder if teachers today hide in the same spot with smoking pupils or they divided the territory :lol:

So with this irrational fear of smokers we still have equal number of smokers only they are disappearing to various nooks and crannies. I guess it pleases the control freaking minds that invent bizarre no-smoking rules in cities choked with any imaginable pollution.

@ Lava Lady, be so kind to re-read my previous posts. The answers to all of your questions are there and I’m sure they’ve been elaborated in simple and straightforward manner.

I am, however, opened to constructive discussion. Meaning it should not be overly repetitive.

This world is not ideal and never will be. It’s bizarre, in my opinion, to try to make it better by cornering and shaming smokers like they are committing a crime.

Corner and shame the geniuses who scatter depleted uranium on populations who then have skyrocketing cancer incidence. Geniuses who force farmers to literally kill the soil with poisons we also eat on daily basis and drink in our water. Oh, but that’s not convenient. Let's blame it all on tobacco. Salt. Sugar. White flour. Lard... and now I have to light one up :D

• Like 1

Corner and shame the government beaurocracy that tells people where and when they can and cannot smoke, yet subsidizes tobacco growers to produce a product that is increasingly addictive so the government can tax the people who are addicted to that product to a greater degree.

I used to smoke. Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did. I hated being told I had to stay 50 yards from hospitals and schools. I still don't like blaming a person who is addicted to something for the damage the product does, but if your smoke causes a hospital patient with a lung disorder to choke and be more ill, you have to say okay and just walk away.

Edited by moonshadow60
  • Like 1

Corner and shame the government beaurocracy that tells people where and when they can and cannot smoke, yet subsidizes tobacco growers to produce a product that is increasingly addictive so the government can tax the people who are addicted to that product to a greater degree.

I used to smoke. Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did. I hated being told I had to stay 50 yards from hospitals and schools. I still don't like blaming a person who is addicted to something for the damage the product does, but if your smoke causes a hospital patient with a lung disorder to choke and be more ill, you have to say okay and just walk away.

It’s the common sense, or should be, of course no one sane would smoke in intensive care.

But if seriously ill people wish to smoke, I wouldn’t stop them. What’s the point of forcing abstinence on – for example – 80 years old, 65 years smoker. Like my father in law. He smoked to the end and I’d hit someone if they tried to stop him.

Younger and curable, by all means, quitting smoking can only help them.

It’s silly, stinky, expensive, very unhealthy habit and I was complete impressionable too young moron when I started smoking, to be honest.

Now I’m old moron that should quit, if for no other reason then to spite government by not paying them ridiculously huge tobacco tax anymore :yes:

• Like 3

When I was a kid, doctors smoked on TV shows. Heck, almost everyone did. I hear you. It was in our culture back then. People were told it was good for them at one point to smoke cigarettes. Now that we know better, OMG. It is so hard to quit. I did it, but in order to do that I was hooked on Nicorette for a year.

• Like 2

I think people have the right to smoke cigarettes but not at the cost of someone elses health and comfort.

I agree 1000%, and I'm a smoker(though I wish I could quit.)

Anyway, what I do to my own body, in privacy, without affecting other's is strictly my business.

But when it adversely affects other's, it becomes their business as well.

• Like 2