Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Close Is Doomsday?

Still Waters

How close are we to the end? How close are we to being among the last humans to ever live? Depending on who you are — your religion, politics, relative degree of pessimism or optimism — that question is bound to bring up images of some particular kind of cataclysm. It could be an all-out nuclear exchange or a climate change-driven mass extinction. But what if there was a way of answering the doomsday question in the most generic way possible.

http://www.npr.org/b...ose-is-doomsday

Something I don't worry about. Today is good, that is all I need. Tomorrow, a rock might fall from the sky take me out. Oh well, tt was fun while it lasted.

• Like 4

How close is doomsday, probably closer than we think.

• Like 3

I think we are close to the end of civilization as we now know it. With exponential population growth, global warming, threats of nuclear war, it can't go on like this forever, can it? One day something's got to give. The human race will have to re-adjust itself to a new environment. A new political and social environment.

I'd give it another hundred years.

Doomsday doesnt worry me, unless I survive then I would be in deep ****.

• Like 4

Hopefully not in our life time...

Well maybe near the end of mine.. That would be ok. ;)

• Like 2

Who cares as long as the Bar stays open.

• Like 5

Something I don't worry about. Today is good, that is all I need. Tomorrow, a rock might fall from the sky take me out. Oh well, tt was fun while it lasted.

I see but what if something happens in next 5 minutes? Quake, asteroid, explosion of any kind? It can happen anytime anywhere...

That is why i am starting to understand the nature of preppers.

• Like 1

Personally, I think we have slowly been in the midst of a on-going 'doomsday' that seems to just carry on from day to day. So slow that we do not -see it- happening all at once.

It could be very well possible that there will come a time to when we will wish that everything did end in one big swoop.

We have good days. We have bad days. But I think as a whole, that everything we have come to know has already changed enough to make us expect a 'lesser standard' of living.

'Remember the days when you could leave your front door unlocked?'

"Yeah. Now, I just have to make sure that I lock my smartphone."

I realise that because we are Humans, we have this adopted thinking of 'It's all gonna end one day.' We often expect the worse, dwell on it and forget that we can actually -try- to make it better. For me, in this regard, that is why I think that we are already in the 'doomsday' stages because our light of 'hope' is fading.

Kind Regards

:tu:

• Like 2

We expect that the Sun will become a red giant in about 5 billion years. As a result it will expand and swallow the inner planets, Mercury and Venus. However the Suns expansion will also result in an expansion of the Earths orbit, and it has not been conclusively determined if the diameter of the Sun will reached the Earths new orbit.

Having said that, we will have still reached the end of the world with regard to its ability to sustain life.

THAT is the end of the world.

• Like 2

The Doomsday argument, as suggested by the article, does not say that humanity cannot or will not exist indefinitely. It does not put any upper limit on the number of humans that will ever exist, nor provide a date for when humanity will become extinct.

An abbreviated form of the argument does make these claims, by confusing probability with certainty. However, the actual DA's conclusion is: There is a 95% chance of extinction within 9,120 years. Still a while to go and by then who knows if we have not already left this puny planet and settled elsewhere.

• Like 1

There are certainly many ways for humanity to suffer a fatal or near fatal blow. Wether we are wiped out by a gamma ray burst or merely devolve into anarchy. They thing that is new in some ways is the continual mention of this. Last night I was a restaurant and on a television over the bar was an entire hour show about this very subject. There were asteroids falling, super-volcanos erupting, diseases escaping and on and on. It makes me wonder if the media does not attempt to keep up in a state of perpetual fear (or on the flip side perpetually entertained with Glee and Dances with the Stars, etc.) so we don't notice the real trouble our country and the world is in: debt up to our eyeballs, lackluster leadership and out of control spending.

Of course there is that little hand-granade with the bad haircut over in N. Korea........

While it is interesting to speculate on the probability of a doomsday event the reality is such that none of us will "get of this alive." We will all die. So, do enjoy each day as it may be your last, yet leave a lasting legacy of good will for that is how you will be remembered.

• Like 3

From the article:

Let's call your birth number "n." By the same reasoning as our hospitality officer example, you should conclude that the total number of humans ever born (call that "N") is not wildly larger than your birth number n. If you are the lucky 1 billionth human to be born, then probabilistically, there won't be a trillion more after you.

This makes absolutely no sense! The more humans are born, the more humans will be born because the reproductive pool is bigger. Not the other way round!

• Like 1

Interesting to predict, but for most if not all of us, we ain't gonna see it.

Edited by 27vet
  • Like 1

I see but what if something happens in next 5 minutes? Quake, asteroid, explosion of any kind? It can happen anytime anywhere...

That is why i am starting to understand the nature of preppers.

I live in hurricane land. I am good, I keep enough stuff to cover a couple of weeks or so on hand. I also know how to live off the land if I have too. I am not an idiot, you need to be prepared for an emergency, but I am not going to go crazy like some people, do. You can spend a pile of cash and energy on what you think is going to happen. In the end what do you have, a pile of stuff you most likely never use. Believe me I have walked through hell and back, live today, enjoy the sun. Vacation in Florida.

• Like 2

George Carlin hits the nail on this subject

Skip to 2:00 if you just wanna here what he says on this subject

• Like 2

If it is "doomsday," then none of us will survive to tell about it, so it doesn't matter when or if it comes in our lifetimes. Best to go about our business and hope for the best. If we die, we die. Kind of makes me picture the earth as a big anthill and "doom" hanging over all of us like a huge foot.

• Like 3

Someone always has to yell "the sky is falling".

• Like 2

Are we talking about a mass doomsday or your own personal one? At 45 i guess mine's in about 40 years but i hope everyone doesn't come along for the ride

• Like 1

The end is neigh! Boring.......!