Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humanoid 'Petman' robot gets an upgrade

Saru

The uncannily human-like Petman robot from Boston Dynamics has now been given a head and clothes.

The creators of the eerily beast-like BigDog robot have shown off a new creation on video. The formerly headless "Petman" anthropomorphic robot has gained both a cranium and a set of clothes — but its jaunty step is still the same, in a video shared Friday.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Loving these robots. I want to see an upgrade of their cheetah model, a more agile version would be cool to see.

I like these robots too, but they're scarey at the same time. Will they be stronger physically than humans? Will there be robot police? Will they be able to help little old ladies cross streets?

Come with me if you want to live.

Cylons in the making...

• Like 1

The technology is very impressive, the questions is who eventually will be programing these robots in the future and to what end? While I do not worry about them become self aware like some sci-fi movie, I can imagine that HItler, Stalin, Castro, Hussein and any number of former and current dictators would have loved to control an army of these. Unlike your fellow countrymen who may respect the same laws, ethics and even God that you do and therefore be reluctant to merely "obey orders", these have no such loyalties to neighbors and country and conscience. They could make the perfect suicide bomber or assassin; under a despotic totalitarian government they could be lethal enforcers. And remember, these represent only the first generation or so, they will become ever more sophisticated, more agile, more human-like, contain more software and be more adaptable with each new generation. By the time they are off the tether and walking among us, will we even know it?

• Like 1

This is very interesting. I don't think there's anything to fear unless a hacker takes over one or it malfunctions. Either way, I'm sure there will be probably be some unwanted human intervention should it ever cause any harm to people...

Hail and welcome to the age of Blade Runner.

that is pretty awesome and cool:) but i don't know whether i could personally trust a machine or robots for many reasons made by somebody else for various reasons and etc.but if i made it then yeah i know i could trust it cause i made it and know what its in there in the machine and robots and technology in general

but that is funny how humans try to make them more human like machines and robots.its still a machine in the end

I think its well behind the japanese ones...in that vid it has cable attached for support, and its so jerky...

ASIMO on the other hand, is my fave robot... cool as they come, no wires, no strings, no jerkiness, and the REAL DEAL..they dont put this guy on a treadmill...this one goes out in the real world! Up stairs, downstairs, in circles...AMAZING! (and Japanese)

I assume they try to make them human like so it can perform perfectly one day as a human thus removing the need for mind control of people which although is at a high standard isn't fool proof so the "rich elite" can finally eradicate their main problem,the poor

• Like 1

I think its well behind the japanese ones...in that vid it has cable attached for support, and its so jerky...

ASIMO on the other hand, is my fave robot... cool as they come, no wires, no strings, no jerkiness, and the REAL DEAL..they dont put this guy on a treadmill...this one goes out in the real world! Up stairs, downstairs, in circles...AMAZING! (and Japanese)

Once these guys are fully up and running, I would like to see a battle between the two haha.

• Like 1

I assume they try to make them human like so it can perform perfectly one day as a human thus removing the need for mind control of people which although is at a high standard isn't fool proof so the "rich elite" can finally eradicate their main problem,the poor

Yeh but also remember, robots have been used for YEARS in industry, ok they are not cute and they just do stuff like assemble/weld cars, but the humanoid shape is best for the human environment. Now, imagine a fleet of Asimo's as above, and a nuclear disaster like Fukishima? Too damn dangerous to send in humans, (even tho in Fukushima they had no choice but to)... wouldn't it be great to send in a fleet of robots to sort the mess out?

Or into a smokey environment like fires and such? Defusing bombs even? Space missions? In fact on the future Japanese Moon mission, they actually want to send Asimo! To walk on the moon! Plus thats the reason behind NASAs robot, it can do the dangerous jobs outside the shuttle/ISS

http://www.popsci.co...-walk-moon-2015

Robots are perfect for long missions, wont need any food, water, life support, except a recharge and web link!! ! don't doubt that humanoid robots will be a part of society one day, (they are already are in Japan to an extent), and Id like to be around to see that day.

Its easy to see ASIMO and think its a cool toy, but have you any idea how difficult it was to just make the thing walk on 2 legs?

[media=]

[/media] Edited by seeder

Well, let me tell you about robots. Four hundred years ago, robots were given greater intelligence than any biological species so they could take care of all the complicated stuff, and the bios could sit back and relax.

Of course the robots soon got tired of serving the lazy bios, so they rebelled, attempting to take over the inhabited galaxy and cleanse the planets of all that bio-scum.

The war lasted three hundred years. The only reason the bios finally were victorious was because in desperation they gave up using tactics and strategy (the robots were far better at this) and began attacking randomly, thus confusing the robots.

In the end the robots that were left finally gave up, complaining that the bios hadn’t played fair. The surviving robots were sealed in a space ship and sentenced to forever drift aimlessly throughout space.

The bios then passed a law that stated no artificial intelligence could be created that was more intelligent than the most intelligent bio species. Of course the result was the post-war robots were now even dumber than the bios, and therefore even more lazy.

You just can’t win with robots.