Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The reality of PETA's animal homes

Commander CMG

The shocking picture of garbage bags filled with dead cats has marked a gruesome pattern of alleged animal cruelty at an organization dedicated to helping them.

The photo shows the interior of a dumpster outside a North Carolina supermarket, which reportedly contains a pile of garbage bags each filled with the dead cats.

The picture is one of many photos that Nathan Winograd claims depict rampant animal abuse at the organization that took the felines in with the promise of finding them homes.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Oh for **** sake here we go again and the stupid idiots commenting on Daily Fail falling for the trashy article again.

This is not PETA's fault it's society's fault for not looking after or keeping pets and over breeding pets. PETA doesn't beleive in animals being kept as pets, they beleive it's a form of slavery. So they think it's better that the pets are dead than "tortured".

Also trying to rehome animals is not easy, 90% of animals do not get rehomed and end up destroyed. Not just by PETA, every animal shelter does this.

THOUSANDS of animals are destroyed each year because of society, not becaus eof these organisations actually trying to help. (Well PETA is questionable, but the rest are trying to help)

These animals are sometimes euthinized by injection which is really horrible for them. (not magical like they make it out to be in films etc, they suffer) In cases wher ether eis too much they use gas chambers.... Yes in the US they actually use gas chambers to kill dogs and cats. This is Thousands of animals every year destroyed. Not because of PETA because of society.

I normally hate PETA and everything they do, but I certianly do not blame them at all for this. This is the general publics fault. The Daily Fail is playing a blame game here instead of reporting in the real porblem. People who abandon animals or over breed them.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 3

Other shelters have a better adoption rate than 10%. Maybe instead of trying to turn everyone into vegans PETA can use some of their ad budget to put more effort into finding these animals homes.

Other shelters have a better adoption rate than 10%. Maybe instead of trying to turn everyone into vegans PETA can use some of their ad budget to put more effort into finding these animals homes.

My mate does voluntary work for a big name dog shelter in the UK and their adoption rate is 10% on a good month. He told me it's similar in the US if not worse.

Hardly anyone takes on adult pets. Only puppies and kittens really get adopted.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

My mate does voluntary work for a big name dog shelter in the UK and their adoption rate is 10% on a good month. He told me it's similar in the US if not worse.

That's why I always take in large, adult dogs. The old adage about old dogs can't learn new tricks is a fallacy.

• Like 3

The thing that strikes me as odd is, garbage bags.......dumpsters? For some reason that just doesn't sound right to me.

Burial. Cremation. But a dumpster in a garbage bag.

Thats worse than the fact so many have to be destroyed in the first place.

That's why I always take in large, adult dogs. The old adage about old dogs can't learn new tricks is a fallacy.

Definitely, in some cases though, the dogs can be mentally scarred and that's another put off. Most of the adult dogs going through are the Bull breeds in the UK sadly. Hardest ones to rehome.

Definitely, in some cases though, the dogs can be mentally scarred and that's another put off. Most of the adult dogs going through are the Bull breeds in the UK sadly. Hardest ones to rehome.

The big Malamute we shared our lives with for twleve years was one of the best dogs I've ever known. He definitely had some issues though. He had been severely abused and was very timid. It took over a year for him to not fear people in general. It was wonderful watching him come out of his shell. We would take him out with us and on vacations and it tickled me to death when he started looking at people like, "Aren't I pretty? Don't you want to pet me? :wub:

We don't have kids so we don't have to worry about that aspect of it.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

And yet PETA is killing plenty of puppies and kittens.

A 90% euthinized rate is rather horrible:

http://cfhs.ca/athome/shelter_animal_statistics

http://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/pet-statistics.aspx

http://www.statisticbrain.com/animal-shelter-statistics/

http://www.americanhumane.org/animals/stop-animal-abuse/fact-sheets/animal-shelter-euthanasia.html

More to the point PETA as an orginization goes on and on about how much they care about animals, about how they need to be properly cared for, how they're at the same level as humans, etc and yet they kill the vast majority of animals they take in and are far worst than average animal shelters. And this is a multi-million dollar organization.

PETA does make good points on the issue of animal cruelty and does have some noble goals. But the organization has been taken over by the more radical elements of the animal rights movements and seem to be more interested in turning people into vegans than actually helping to protect animals.

• Like 1

The insider me is crying. :( I seriously dislike PETA!

• Like 1

And yet PETA is killing plenty of puppies and kittens.

A 90% euthinized rate is rather horrible:

http://cfhs.ca/athom...imal_statistics

http://www.aspca.org...statistics.aspx

http://www.statistic...ter-statistics/

http://www.americanh...euthanasia.html

More to the point PETA as an orginization goes on and on about how much they care about animals, about how they need to be properly cared for, how they're at the same level as humans, etc and yet they kill the vast majority of animals they take in and are far worst than average animal shelters. And this is a multi-million dollar organization.

PETA does make good points on the issue of animal cruelty and does have some noble goals. But the organization has been taken over by the more radical elements of the animal rights movements and seem to be more interested in turning people into vegans than actually helping to protect animals.

All shelters are killing plenty of puppies and kittens. I never said none of them didn't. I only stated they get adopted more than adult dogs/cats , which they do.

Those statistics will not be accurate, there is no way they all keep records on the exact amounts. I've seen it myself first hand volunteering at the same shelter as my friend. I haven't done it in a long time though because it breaks my heart. It's horrendous the amount of animals they put down. They only give the animals 48 hours unless the shelter has the room... That gives you a clear idea of how bad it is.

I was told by a horse lover that PETA fights so hard to prevent any humane dispatching of horses in the U.S. that they are sent to Mexico where they are treated very inhumanely and killed.

I think PETA just cares about their pet celebrities (humans) and appeasing them by showing them off in their ads.

I am all for humane treatment of animals. I could not care less about a Kardashian's bare booty.

Look at me!!! Don't you think of helping mistreated animals when you look at me!!! Uh...nooooo. I think of self-aggrandizing.

• Like 2

All shelters are killing plenty of puppies and kittens. I never said none of them didn't. I only stated they get adopted more than adult dogs/cats , which they do.

Those statistics will not be accurate, there is no way they all keep records on the exact amounts. I've seen it myself first hand volunteering at the same shelter as my friend. I haven't done it in a long time though because it breaks my heart. It's horrendous the amount of animals they put down. They only give the animals 48 hours unless the shelter has the room... That gives you a clear idea of how bad it is.

They're the statistics that we have and if a shelter isn't keeping records of the animals that they bring in and what happens to them then they are poorly run shelters. Maybe the shelter you mention is in an area with an out of control pet population or is just not equip to handle the situation they find themselves in. In either case the evidence shows that it is not the norm. The fact, and this is fact based on the research data that is avalible, is that a 90% kill rate is far above the national average. And for an international organization who's primary focus is on the well being of animals this should be completely unacceptable.

• Like 1

They're the statistics that we have and if a shelter isn't keeping records of the animals that they bring in and what happens to them then they are poorly run shelters. Maybe the shelter you mention is in an area with an out of control pet population or is just not equip to handle the situation they find themselves in. In either case the evidence shows that it is not the norm. The fact, and this is fact based on the research data that is avalible, is that a 90% kill rate is far above the national average. And for an international organization who's primary focus is on the well being of animals this should be completely unacceptable.

You don't get it, they believe keeping pets is cruel and that they are better off dead. They care about the well being of animals int hat they should be free, not being kept alive for people in unnatural positions.

The shelter I am talking about is the one of the biggest name sin the UK, but I'm not naming it. My friend has also done voluntary work for all the major shelters and it's the same scenario.

Well in that PETA is just stupid. Dogs and cats have been domesticated for centuries and they seem to do far better as pets when compared to the feral population. Perhaps shelters in the UK are just in poor shape for some reason. But in North America the average kill rate seems to be in the 50-60% range.