Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Peter Higgs: stop calling it the god particle

Render

The scientist behind the Higgs boson, Prof Peter Higgs, has urged people to stop calling it the God particle

http://www.telegraph...d-particle.html

Now that Cern has confirmed the Higgs boson exists, should people stop calling it the 'God particle'? 79% Yes 21% No

http://www.guardian....d-particle-poll

The Higgs boson: Why scientists hate that you call it the ‘God particle’

http://news.national...e-god-particle/

The Inventor Of The Higgs Boson Hates That We Call It 'The God Particle'

http://www.businessi...particle-2013-4

AND BTW, the actual name for the particle is the Englert-Brout-Higgs...because actually Englert-Brout were first but Higgs discovered it in parallel in his life and in the first article that appeared about it , the idiot journalist took a lil shortcut of ignorance and only named Higgs.

Edited by Render

So what does Boson feel about it?

• Like 4

This is an example of how too often scientists use religious terminologies to say things that the religious types misinterpret. When physicists talk about "god" they don't mean God but use the word just as a short and slightly mischievous way of referring to "the way things are."

I suppose in a perfect world we would all respect one another's beliefs and as a result never use someone's religious words in a flip way, but somehow I doubt that will ever happen.

Anyway, now it's official: "God particle" is politically incorrect.

This is an example of how too often scientists use religious terminologies to say things that the religious types misinterpret. When physicists talk about "god" they don't mean God but use the word just as a short and slightly mischievous way of referring to "the way things are."

I suppose in a perfect world we would all respect one another's beliefs and as a result never use someone's religious words in a flip way, but somehow I doubt that will ever happen.

Anyway, now it's official: "God particle" is politically incorrect.

Someone should ring God up and tell Him to get out of the way, we're doing just fine... :w00t:
  • Like 2

Irrelevant.

You mean Mr. Boson is irrelevant? That doesn't seem very kind.

• Like 2

You mean Mr. Boson is irrelevant? That doesn't seem very kind.

It's irrelevant to this because the boson isn't only linked to the Higgs....sheesh. Trying to start a discussion about something pointless, very annoying.

I think the term "God particle", however incorrect, is going to stick with the mainstream.

scientists are funny people. Ever since the beginning, when religion was talking about other dimensions, the existence of god, parallel universes, and all these unbelievable things. Unfortunately religion back then didn't have any proof. So the atheist/scientists in those days didn't believe them. Thank god for all the scientists that has contributed most of their lives to gather data and facts to prove that our universe is exactly what those religions preached about. What a crazy world we live in. And still to this day even though we think that we are so far advance in society, we are still going on theories on what a black hole is. Also we still don't know what caused the big bang, why it banged, or to make it even worse... was there ever a bang? Scientists/atheists we need you to prove that this world is more creepier than we originally thought it was... in the beginning.

Edited by pitchp

I'm sure if I had a particle named after me I would want it named that too.

scientists are funny people. Ever since the beginning, when religion was talking about other dimensions, the existence of god, parallel universes, and all these unbelievable things. Unfortunately religion back then didn't have any proof. So the atheist/scientists in those days didn't believe them. Thank god for all the scientists that has contributed most of their lives to gather data and facts to prove that our universe is exactly what those religions preached about. What a crazy world we live in. And still to this day even though we think that we are so far advance in society, we are still going on theories on what a black hole is. Also we still don't know what caused the big bang, why it banged, or to make it even worse... was there ever a bang? Scientists/atheists we need you to prove that this world is more creepier than we originally thought it was... in the beginning.

WAT?

There is no "proof" that there is a 'multiverse'. It is speculated because everything in this univers is in balance from the Big Bang . The thought is that there must have been more than one with less than sucessful results. These other universes would probably not be accessible to any others even if they did have life.

As far as religion goes, at lest in the bible, there is talk about other spiritual realms. This does not say anything for science. This is similar to a farytale with dragons. If you look at dinosaurs, than yes we did have "dragons". But the nature and meaning are something totally different. This argument that religion had anything important to offer is getting old.

• Like 1

a black hole is not really black. or a hole. see anyone complain about THAT?

• Like 4

I think the dimensions and other universes and so on that scientists speak of have nothing to do with the spirit realm and other ideas of religions. Scientists have observations and so on that lead them to infer such things, not speculations and revelations.

scientists are funny people. Ever since the beginning, when religion was talking about other dimensions, the existence of god, parallel universes, and all these unbelievable things.

Which religions would they be?
Unfortunately religion back then didn't have any proof. So the atheist/scientists in those days didn't believe them.
Guess what, they still dont.
Thank god for all the scientists that has contributed most of their lives to gather data and facts to prove that our universe is exactly what those religions preached about.
Do you have any names? Is Kent Hovind one of them?

No scientist has proven the universe is exactly like the religions preach.

What a crazy world we live in. And still to this day even though we think that we are so far advance in society, we are still going on theories on what a black hole is. Also we still don't know what caused the big bang, why it banged, or to make it even worse... was there ever a bang? Scientists/atheists we need you to prove that this world is more creepier than we originally thought it was... in the beginning.

It is more interesting that people like you need to clutch at straws. Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that the religious always some across as the most woefully educated about science and history?

So what does Boson feel about it?

Not much. Satyendra Nath Bose died in 1974.

• Like 2

It's irrelevant to this because the boson isn't only linked to the Higgs....sheesh. Trying to start a discussion about something pointless, very annoying.

it would seem that someone has broken into your house and stolen your sense of humour.

luckily for you, my local shop is doing a 'buy one, get one free' offer on them.

i suggest you eat them both.

• Like 1

Why is it that the religious always some across as the most woefully educated about science and history?

and let's not forget humourless too......

• Like 2

Higgs boson: Call to rename particle to acknowledge other scientists

One of the scientists who helped develop the theory of the Higgs boson says the particle should be renamed.

Carl Hagen believes the name should acknowledge the work of others - not just UK physicist Peter Higgs.

The long-running debate has been rekindled following speculation that this year's Nobel Prize for Physics will be awarded for the Higgs theory.

The detection of a particle thought to be the Higgs was announced at the Large Hadron Collider in June last year.

American Prof Hagen told BBC News: "I have always thought that the name was not a proper one.

"To single out one individual marginalises the contribution of others involved in the work. Although I did not start this campaign to change the name, I welcome it."

People have spoken of key contributions being made by Francois Englert, Peter Higgs, Gerald Guralnik, Tom Kibble, Robert Brout and Carl Hagen. Five spoke at a press conference last year to announce the discovery of a particle thought to be the Higgs, but it was only Prof Higgs who received a huge round of applause from the researchers present.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22250092

Peter Higgs is a great scientist and a charming man. That he gets this honor is fine with me. That there are others involved is always the case.

Peter Higgs is a great scientist and a charming man. That he gets this honor is fine with me. That there are others involved is always the case.

But Higgs wasn't the only discoverer. That's the whole point. He discovered it in parallel with Brout and Englert .. then 3 others get involved and contributed further. But a lazy journalist only used one name in an article, Higgs...So now everyone ingorantly calls it the Higgs like he's the only one who came with it and built on this theory. It's disrespectful to keep singling him out and ignoring all the others. How would you feel?

Was Einstein the only discoverer of relativity, Darwin the only discoverer of evolution, Feynman the only discoverer of Feynman diagrams? No one works in a vacuum, and this is getting to be less and less the case.

You ask how I would feel? What sort of question is that? I would be happy for him. Envy is what I am hearing, and it isn't appropriate in science.

Edited by Frank Merton

Was Einstein the only discoverer of relativity, Darwin the only discoverer of evolution, Feynman the only discoverer of Feynman diagrams? No one works in a vacuum, and this is getting to be less and less the case.

You ask how I would feel? What sort of question is that? I would be happy for him. Envy is what I am hearing, and it isn't appropriate in science.

Maybe im not explaining this right ...

Okay, suppose you discovered a planet where life is present... and around the same time someone in different place discoveres the exact same planet . Then some jerk journalist doesn't even mention you, and hails the other person as the most brilliant mind of this century. And then, even though you did the exact same thing, you get no recognition from because no one knows you or receives you as credible, because you weren't "the discoverer".

They're not even asking to have their names mentioned, that's not envy .. that's validated entitled recognition. They're asking for a non-person name reference. So no one gets excluded. That's just the right thing to do. Giving all the credit to one guy and calling everything after his name alone is just stupid and again, disrespectful.

All your examples are invalid because it is not about contributing, it's about doing the exact same thing just at another place and getting ignored.

I assume there will be awards aplenty handed out for this, not just to Higgs. It's just that a simple name is needed, this one has stuck, it is vastly better than "god particle," and the man is worthy. Lots and lots of things are named after just one individual, and there may be some unfairness involved, but words and names stick. After all, we don't call "America" something like "Columbia," and from what I know about Christopher as a person, it is just as well.

• Like 1

In the original papers, Englert and Brout describe how the gauge vector bosons in a system with broken symmetry do not necessarily have to be massless, while Peter Higgs identifies a specific symmetry-breaking mechanism that will lead to two massive scalar gauge bosons (in addition to some vector gauge bosons).

The ``Higgs particle'' is a massive scalar boson; I do not think it is unfair to attribute this particle to Higgs alone. Englert and Brout came very close, but did not explicitly identify the particle in their paper; Higgs did.

If a Nobel prize for the entire theory is awarded only to Higgs, and not Englert and Brout, then it is fair to cry fowl.

• Like 2