Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Q-C

Lousy movies that weren't so Lousy, iyo

6 posts in this topic

To continue in the opposite vein

What movie(s) that were unpopular, corny, or critically despised will you admit you liked or liked most of the movie?

One for me is

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I've never laughed so hard, had an awful time catching my breath, and that was in the first 10 minutes.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was an awesome film. But I do wonder, how is this thread different to the many "Movies that were so bad they're good" threads that have popped up over time (eg, HERE). This may not have been your intention when starting this thread, but I have a sneaking suspicion that people are going to post the movies that were so outrageously bad that they everyone loved them.

To be honest, though, I didn't realise Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was so panned by critics. In that line, I'll try M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village". For some reason many critics panned the film, but I loved it (I cannot say the same for "Lady in the Water", that was just a bad film). "The Village" was well made, full of suspense, and thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.

On another note, "The Fifth Element" appears to have had its detractors, but I likewise found it a fantastic film. While tempting to call it "Die Hard in space", I think this movie brought something extra than just John McClane's character. Just a few thoughts :)

Posted (edited)

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was an awesome film. But I do wonder, how is this thread different to the many "Movies that were so bad they're good" threads that have popped up over time (eg, HERE). This may not have been your intention when starting this thread, but I have a sneaking suspicion that people are going to post the movies that were so outrageously bad that they everyone loved them.

To be honest, though, I didn't realise Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was so panned by critics. In that line, I'll try M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village". For some reason many critics panned the film, but I loved it (I cannot say the same for "Lady in the Water", that was just a bad film). "The Village" was well made, full of suspense, and thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.

On another note, "The Fifth Element" appears to have had its detractors, but I likewise found it a fantastic film. While tempting to call it "Die Hard in space", I think this movie brought something extra than just John McClane's character. Just a few thoughts :)

Sorry, not trying to repeat threads, though sometimes it's easy to do. I just went the opposite of my other "Great movies that weren't so Great" without searching,

and hadn't remembered seeing one.

And yeah, critics HATED F&L. I laughed my butt off, although not a total fan of Depp's performance, del Toro was great!

Edited by QuiteContrary

Posted (edited)

I thought everyone loved Fear and Loathing? Anyone I've ever talked to about it sings its praises. Same with The Fifth Element. But I steer clear of critics as often as I can, so maybe this is why I find it shocking to see both of these movies mentioned in this thread.

For me I'd have to say Pandaemonium. I know there are people who have some issues with the (brilliant) anachronisms and maybe historical inaccuracies (I almost fall in that category), but it's still such a fun film. All I could ask for in a movie about the Romantics. Anyone else who disagrees... well,

tumblr_ma1ksqZaIg1r3djk2o4_250.gif

Edited by Funky Poacher

I thought everyone loved Fear and Loathing? Anyone I've ever talked to about it sings its praises. Same with The Fifth Element. But I steer clear of critics as often as I can, so maybe this is why I find it shocking to see both of these movies mentioned in this thread.

In my OP I wasn't only referring to unpopular movies but also any movies critics hammered too, despite public opinion.

"Mobsters" received some bad reviews, but I enjoyed it. One critic said that it was the gangster version of "Young Guns", which may have been true. It was more accurate and more factual than most such films, and I appreciated that. It was a good film for those who wished to learn the origins of the national crime syndicate.