Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

spiritual book suggestions

Ever Learning

I want to be more well read, so im pursuing reading all the great spiritual books.

please suggest any and all religious books of any culture.

Edited by Armchair Educated

I want to be more well read, so im pursuing reading all the great spiritual books.

Begava Gita

Bodi dharma

tao te Ching

Oxford annoted bible

Homeric epics

The Dead sea scrolls

Some modern books

conversations with god

The alchemist

The way of a peaceful warrior

Breif history of time revised

The cosmic landscape

The elegant universe

Science set free

Journeys out of body

The spirit molecule

Tom brown jr's "Grandfather"

The science and art of tracking

Any text book on the application of logic and critical thinking.

Just to name a small few popular ones. Yes science can be spiritualy enlightening aswell.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 1

thanks seeker, alot of good ones there and alot that i havent heard of

Edited by Armchair Educated

thanks seeker, alot of good ones there and alot that i havent heard of

There is some very interesting stuff written by Paulo Coehlo. They are stories, but subtly spiritually so. Very nice. Most of Rupart Sheldrakes books, and Graham Hancock will be very interesting for you to. Approaching from different perspectives.

Have fun.

• Like 1

Hi AE,

Good read? I find Jor-el's posts illuminating, for they ring true to me. (You may want to search for Jor-el's other posts.) I, too, have been doing quite a bit of research, as in putting my puzzle together; the points or facts(?) I've gathered, so far, have given logical continuity to the Bible and my experiences. Please follow the links if you care to find out (and along the way you will definitely find books to read):

http://www.unexplain...65#entry2428731

http://www.case.edu/...iew=1365542715

(If the link doesn't take you to the page, click the "Continue to the requested page.")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlGIDF48tmQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.unexplain...c=101770&st=225

http: //vimeo. com/album/156481 (piece it together)

http://www.thedivinecouncil.com/

http://www.logos.com/comparison

God bless.

Edited by braveone2u
  • Like 1

I think you would really enjoy this website: www.sacred-texts.com

• Like 1

I think you would really enjoy this website: www.sacred-texts.com

i do love this website thanks, been on it ages ago but forgot the sitename

Dan Millman's The Life You Were Born to Live and Way of the Peaceful Warrior, along with Frank Fool's Crow: Wisdom & Power, are always in my bookcase. I loan them out, sometimes they're gone for a couple of years, but they eventually find their way home to me. Starhawk's book, The Spiral Dance And AH Almaas' Diamond Heart series have a lot to offer, as well. I've never been able to live within the confines of a religion, so these books have provided food for thought & guidance that have helped me find my own way.

Edited by Beany

spiritual guide - miguel de molinos

I know they already said the Tao Te Ching but I re-recomend it. I love it

• Like 1

Dan Millman's The Life You Were Born to Live and Way of the Peaceful Warrior, along with Frank Fool's Crow: Wisdom & Power, are always in my bookcase. I loan them out, sometimes they're gone for a couple of years, but they eventually find their way home to me. Starhawk's book, The Spiral Dance And AH Almaas' Diamond Heart series have a lot to offer, as well. I've never been able to live within the confines of a religion, so these books have provided food for thought & guidance that have helped me find my own way.

Errrrrrr I never get mine back. These days I just give them away and order another used on amazon. Yeah for the buy in one click amazon app.

But then again I give them to complete strangers. I once had a young woman contact me about some things that were happening to her through a mutual friend that runs a Wiccan group. I spent several months walking her out of it, all over text messaging. Then I left a book for her behind a transformer behind her work. The gesture was so powerful for her to see Somone actually cared about other people to something like that, she completely changed after that. A lovely moment actually. I never met her in person. ( I thought it was a little inappropriate, she was young troubled and beautiful, and I'm married. I did not want to give her the wrong impression)

As a result the priestest sends me several troubled young people a year. Giving away books is a powerful gesture in my experience. Sometimes I order two of certain books knowing I will run into Somone who will need it. Life is awesome.

Edited by Seeker79

An interesting question.

modern

Demian by Hermann Hesse.

If the theology interests you, then you might like Carl Jungs' poem Seven Sermons to the Dead. That was first widely published as an appendix to Jung's semi-autobiography (with Aniela Jaffe as a second full author), Memories, Dreams and Reflections, which can be read as a spiritual journey in its own right.

If Jung speaks to you, there is his incomparable Red Book. There is an online version of dubious DMCA status, so I won't link to it here, but if you happened to search for jung "red book" american, then Google will happily direct your feet to the sunny side of the street.

ancient

Reading The Odyssey by Homer is like being initiated into an ancient mystery cult. Ripping yarn, too.

An interesting collection of supplements to the New Testament, mostly Gnostic, was assembled this year by Hal Taussig and many co-workers. The listing of the works, with links, all in the public domain, is at the end of this blog article:

http://uncertaintist...-new-testament/

I don't think Gnosticism was a version of proto-orthodox Christianity, but rather a distinct religion with a version of Jesus in it, like Islam or Mormonism. While the Gnostic books chosen by this group don't add much to any Christianity that has an aspiration to promote a historical Jesus, these books are an efficient introduction to this other religion that built its own Jesus.

survey

Wiliam James' The Varieties of Religious Experience

Raymond Bucke Cosmic Consciousness

Both are in the public domain, and you can find them at sacred texts, already mentioned by another poster

Errrrrrr I never get mine back. These days I just give them away and order another used on amazon. Yeah for the buy in one click amazon app.

But then again I give them to complete strangers. I once had a young woman contact me about some things that were happening to her through a mutual friend that runs a Wiccan group. I spent several months walking her out of it, all over text messaging. Then I left a book for her behind a transformer behind her work. The gesture was so powerful for her to see Somone actually cared about other people to something like that, she completely changed after that. A lovely moment actually. I never met her in person. ( I thought it was a little inappropriate, she was young troubled and beautiful, and I'm married. I did not want to give her the wrong impression)

As a result the priestest sends me several troubled young people a year. Giving away books is a powerful gesture in my experience. Sometimes I order two of certain books knowing I will run into Somone who will need it. Life is awesome.

If they never come back, I figure they are with exactly the person they should be with. It's funny how some books just keep coming back, though. Bless you for your generosity. Sometimes just one small act of kindness or compassion can make a life-changing difference for someone.

Some very good recommendations above, can I add these, I know some have already been listed but I find the translation is very important so I have named some versions in particular as they spoke clearer to me than others, hope you don’t mind.

‘The Inner chapters’ by Chuang Tsu by Jane English Gia-fu Feng

‘The Essential Chuang’ Tzu by Sam Hamill and J.P.Seaton

‘The Art of Peace’ by Morihei Ueshiba

‘The Upanishads’ by Juan Mascaro ‘Penguin Classics’ his version of the

‘The Bhagavad Gita’ both are nice, simple and easy to read

‘The Prophet’ by Kahlil Gibran

‘The Tao te Ching’ by S. Mitchell ‘free online’ one of my favourite translation but Jane English and Gia- fu Feng is also a good one.

‘Jonathan Livingston Seagull’ by Richard Bach

I would also recommend some Rumi and Kabir but I don’t have any one particular favourite book of theirs. Here is some spoken Rumi with some music with Madonna, Demi Moore, Charlie Sheen and many more.

• Like 1

Some very good recommendations above, can I add these, I know some have already been listed but I find the translation is very important so I have named some versions in particular as they spoke clearer to me than others, hope you don’t mind.

‘The Inner chapters’ by Chuang Tsu by Jane English Gia-fu Feng

‘The Essential Chuang’ Tzu by Sam Hamill and J.P.Seaton

‘The Art of Peace’ by Morihei Ueshiba

‘The Upanishads’ by Juan Mascaro ‘Penguin Classics’ his version of the

‘The Bhagavad Gita’ both are nice, simple and easy to read

‘The Prophet’ by Kahlil Gibran

‘The Tao te Ching’ by S. Mitchell ‘free online’ one of my favourite translation but Jane English and Gia- fu Feng is also a good one.

‘Jonathan Livingston Seagull’ by Richard Bach

I would also recommend some Rumi and Kabir but I don’t have any one particular favourite book of theirs. Here is some spoken Rumi with some music with Madonna, Demi Moore, Charlie Sheen and many more.

[media=]

[/media]

thank you so much for that. Rumi, above all, has the capacity to make me weep.

• Like 1