Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient monument in the Sea of Galilee

Logical Thought

How interesting, hope we hear more.

A giant "monumental" stone structure discovered beneath the waters of the Sea of Galilee in Israel has archaeologists puzzled as to its purpose and even how long ago it was built.

The mysterious structure is cone shaped, made of "unhewn basalt cobbles and boulders," and weighs an estimated 60,000 tons the researchers said. That makes it heavier than most modern-day warships.

Rising nearly 32 feet (10 meters) high, it has a diameter of about 230 feet (70 meters). To put that in perspective, the outer stone circle of Stonehenge has a diameter just half that with its tallest stones not reaching that height.

It appears to be a giant cairn, rocks piled on top of each other. Structures like this are known from elsewhere in the world and are sometimes used to mark burials. Researchers do not know if the newly discovered structure was used for this purpose.

The structure was first detected in the summer of 2003 during a sonar survey of the southwest portion of the sea. Divers have since been down to investigate, they write in the latest issue of the International Journal of Nautical Archaeology.

Source : Livescience.com

Some photos :

galilee-2.jpggalilee-4.jpg

galilee-5.jpg

galilee-6.jpg

• Like 4

already posted in Palaeontology, archaeology and History thread

It's fine in this forum too, so long as it's not the same poster in both locations.

Source : Livescience.com

Some photos :

galilee-2.jpggalilee-4.jpg

galilee-5.jpg

galilee-6.jpg

Excellent stuff, Spartan. This gives me a much better visual idea than most other sources I've checked.

its becoming and looking more more a like an ancient ballast dump site to me.

The sea was shallower/water level lower then from what I read, to approach the shallow tide trading ports excess ballast stones were dumped.

"Close inspection by scuba diving revealed that the structure is made of basalt boulders up to 1 m (3.2 feet) long with no apparent construction pattern," the researchers write in their journal article. "The boulders have natural faces with no signs of cutting or chiselling. Similarly, we did not find any sign of arrangement or walls that delineate this structure."

galilee-3.jpg

Radar imageryCredit: Shmuel MarcoCompressed High Intensity Radar Pulse (CHIRP) provided the researchers with more information on the structure. It indiciated that its "western face is somewhat steeper than the eastern part."

• Like 2

Hi Logical Thought,

Thank you for bringing this to my notice!

I would say structure was put there by humans, but we need someone here interested in Geology, that can give some idea of the sea level of Galilee through history, also earthquakes that may have buried this structure beneath the sea!

We have many barrows in UK, usaully 4000-2400BC link below:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_barrow

Understanding in archaeological excavations in England have a theory that "WOOD" has used for the living, and "STONE" was used for the dead in religious symbolism, the structure in the Sea of Galilee is large....with no other information, i would say someone important was buried there!

Will we get to analysis soon? I doubt it, underwater excavations are very difficult, very like Alexandria, most of the best parts are under the sea, like the Light House!

Reminds me of the Baltic sea anomaly that looked like UFO on the sonar reading.

• Like 1

This is definitely an interesting archeological find. It'll be amuzing to see how it is interpreted by scientists. What will they claim this monument is? Guess we'll find out soon enough.....

Rule one, Kmt Sesh and Harte are good and red hot in many things, especially pure Egyptian Religion!

New Age doesn't mean it was started yesterday, all religions were in awe of Egypt, many made their own interpretation in religion, sadly it does have symbolism through to Politics, Big Worry!

Rule Two, There are many things unexplained, but we need proper analysis in going forward...., that is from someone that did go to the right top schools in metaphysics!

Evidence,evidence, evidence, rules!

Please note as yet video below in knowing confusion on date of Barrow, if indeed it is a barrow, i suspect it as yet before further evidence!

I might have pointed ears like Mr Spock in logic, but can only give analysis up to our present stage in developement and evidence, that's all it is!

its becoming and looking more more a like an ancient ballast dump site to me.

The sea was shallower/water level lower then from what I read, to approach the shallow tide trading ports excess ballast stones were dumped.

[/left]

Hadn't thought of that, you might have a fair point there. Well spotted.

Hadn't thought of that, you might have a fair point there. Well spotted.

I got that from some comments some where on the same topic .... if I could only remember where ... I can only see and remember cuneiform now :lol:

"Close inspection by scuba diving revealed that the structure is made of basalt boulders up to 1 m (3.2 feet) long with no apparent construction pattern," said researchers. "The boulders have natural faces with no signs of cutting or chiselling. Similarly, we did not find any sign of arrangement or walls that delineate this structure."

So, how does this qualify as an ancient monument?

Sounds more like a big pile of rocks.

• Like 1

Hi Logical Thought,

Thank you for bringing this to my notice!

I would say structure was put there by humans, but we need someone here interested in Geology, that can give some idea of the sea level of Galilee through history, also earthquakes that may have buried this structure beneath the sea!

We have many barrows in UK, usaully 4000-2400BC link below:-

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Long_barrow

Understanding in archaeological excavations in England have a theory that "WOOD" has used for the living, and "STONE" was used for the dead in religious symbolism, the structure in the Sea of Galilee is large....with no other information, i would say someone important was buried there!

Will we get to analysis soon? I doubt it, underwater excavations are very difficult, very like Alexandria, most of the best parts are under the sea, like the Light House!

Glad you liked the article, based on the "WOOD" and "STONE" theory I would guess you're right about it being someone important, if anyone is buried there at all. If someone or something important isn't buried there, it seems like a lot of trouble to go through for nothing. I hope they excavate it, but you make a good point about underwater excavations being difficult.

"Close inspection by scuba diving revealed that the structure is made of basalt boulders up to 1 m (3.2 feet) long with no apparent construction pattern," said researchers. "The boulders have natural faces with no signs of cutting or chiselling. Similarly, we did not find any sign of arrangement or walls that delineate this structure."

So, how does this qualify as an ancient monument?

Sounds more like a big pile of rocks.

"They say it is definitely human-made and probably was built on land, only later to be covered by the Sea of Galilee as the water level rose. "The shape and composition of the submerged structure does not resemble any natural feature. We therefore conclude that it is man-made and might be termed a cairn," the researchers write."

If it is a cairn, I think that would qualify it as a monument, since a cairn usually marks a burial place or place of significance. It seems likely to me that a pile of rocks that big would be marker for something relatively important, but no one will know for sure unless they excavate.

let's go!

I'll bring the shovels //

let's go!

I'll bring the shovels //

Don't forget the snorkels. And flippers.

This is most certainly a man-made structure. A massive pile of stones a considerable distance from similar source deposits did not get there by Mother Nature's efforts. I saw earlier in the discussion where people were wondering about ships' ballasts, which is an interesting idea but, I fear, not the answer. We would have to imagine every single ship dumping ballast on exactly the same spot, time and time again.

That the Sea of Galilee has fluctuated over time is a known phenomenon. I like the map Spartan posted in Post 5, showing among other things the two Ohalo prehistoric sites. These sites were occupied upwards of 20,000 years ago, during the Ice Age, and roughly contemporary to the cave of Lascaux in France. Water levels would've been lower throughout the Mediterranean world. The Ohalo sites are under water now, but they would've been dry land in ancient times. The same would be true for the massive pile of stones.

Articles describing the find have detailed how underwater archaeologists are the only ones who are going to be able to make sense of it. That is bound to happen sooner or later. If it is a burial cairn, one wonders if anything organic is even left underneath the stones, but it's a really interesting discovery.

This is most certainly a man-made structure. A massive pile of stones a considerable distance from similar source deposits did not get there by Mother Nature's efforts. I saw earlier in the discussion where people were wondering about ships' ballasts, which is an interesting idea but, I fear, not the answer. We would have to imagine every single ship dumping ballast on exactly the same spot, time and time again.

That the Sea of Galilee has fluctuated over time is a known phenomenon. I like the map Spartan posted in Post 5, showing among other things the two Ohalo prehistoric sites. These sites were occupied upwards of 20,000 years ago, during the Ice Age, and roughly contemporary to the cave of Lascaux in France. Water levels would've been lower throughout the Mediterranean world. The Ohalo sites are under water now, but they would've been dry land in ancient times. The same would be true for the massive pile of stones.

Articles describing the find have detailed how underwater archaeologists are the only ones who are going to be able to make sense of it. That is bound to happen sooner or later. If it is a burial cairn, one wonders if anything organic is even left underneath the stones, but it's a really interesting discovery.

It should also be pointed out that Lake Lisan pretty much covered the entire Jordan Valley from the Sea of Galilee to south of the Dead Sea during this period.

http://earthquakes.ou.edu/reches/Publications/lake_levels.pdf

cormac

~snip

500_10151413484953318_1588153670_n.jpg

ready when you are boss

LET"S GO!!

Could it be a pyramid? There was the one artifact that was found in isreal, a basket or a item that had pyramid shapes on it, but darn if I ever find that again.Maybe you would know.

500_10151413484953318_1588153670_n.jpg

ready when you are boss

LET"S GO!!

LOL What in the hell is that thing? An alien into S&M?

Could it be a pyramid? There was the one artifact that was found in isreal, a basket or a item that had pyramid shapes on it, but darn if I ever find that again.Maybe you would know.

I'm certain it's not a pyramid. Aside from ziggurats from much later periods, this type of architecture was not done in the Levant. People tend to identify way too many things as pyramids. A heap of stones with a roughly conical upper portion is not a pyramid but technically a cairn or, even more accurate, a tumulus.

It is a Pyramid!!!!

As per some UMers who got an affinity for naturally occuring carbonated water with lots and lots of pressure, it would naturally be built by Aliens and of course using carbonated Water!!

And of course, as per some UMers, since it is in Israel, it must have to be Aliens and Jesus is linked to it.

• Like 2