Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Authenticity of the gospel of Judas verified

Abramelin

A scientist who helped verify authenticity of the fabled Gospel of Judas today revealed how an ancient Egyptian marriage certificate played a pivotal role in confirming the veracity of inks used in the controversial text. The disclosure, which sheds new light on the intensive scientific efforts to validate the gospel, was made in New Orleans on April 8 at the 245th National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS).

"If we hadn't found a Louvre study of Egyptian wedding and land contracts, which were from the same time period and had ink similar to that used to record the Gospel of Judas, we would have had a much more difficult time discerning whether the gospel was authentic," said Joseph G. Barabe. A senior research microscopist at McCrone Associates, he led an analytical team of five scientists who worked on the project at McCrone, a consulting laboratory in microscopy and microanalysis in Westmont, Ill. "That study was the key piece of evidence that convinced us that the gospel ink was probably okay."

Barabe's team was part of a multidisciplinary effort organized in 2006 by the National Geographic Society to authenticate the Gospel of Judas, which was discovered in the late 1970s after having been hidden for nearly 1,700 years. The text, written in Egyptian Coptic, is compelling because -- unlike other Biblical accounts that portray Judas Iscariot as a reviled traitor -- it suggests that Jesus requested that his friend, Judas, betray him to authorities.

Barabe's presentation was part of an ACS symposium on archeological chemistry.

More here:

http://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.nl/2013/04/authenticity-of-gospel-of-judas-verified.html#.UWXxVUq67TM

• Like 1

i thought the age wasnt doubted just its comparability with the new testament books

I've read it more than a few times since I got hold of a copy, just by the contents one can see the differences from the 'fantasy' tales of the others written versions

Always felt Judas was a good guy and JC was smart enough to know who the true betrayers were ... Mary Magdalene was the true pascal lamb that was sacrificed

• Like 1

Judas IMO always got the short end of the stick because he was a pawn in God's plan.

He's been villified for (basically) saving the souls of all of humanity. AND Jesus forgave him.

• Like 4

I've read it more than a few times since I got hold of a copy, just by the contents one can see the differences from the 'fantasy' tales of the others written versions

Always felt Judas was a good guy and JC was smart enough to know who the true betrayers were ... Mary Magdalene was the true pascal lamb that was sacrificed

insulting on so many levels, sucks to be me

why ?

it doesn't change anything except for a better peace of mind ... I like to give a benefit of a doubt to the early documentations, it was written as best as they know how and with the best of intentions for the times and age.

Now we know differently with still the same best intentions as best as we know how.

In what way was what Third-Eye posted insulting to you?

Judas was drawn into a plot: betray Jesus.

And he did.

And for that he was vilified, cast out.

Jesus knew what was about to happen, and he knew Judas would be the trigger, as Judas was MEANT to be.

In what way was what Third-Eye posted insulting to you?

maybe I should have rephrased "fantasy" tales ... 'fantastic' could have been better maybe ?

apologies to all ... non the less

• Like 1

"Verified" might be a little strong. The ink's compatible with a First Century date but its use could easily have continued alongside newer inks. And even a late First Century date would render the document's authenticity suspect.

We could ask the Vatican to compare it to the version they have locked away somewhere.

I did think from all the apostles Judas would be one who was compelled more to leave a gospel,

but its not hard to see why it was omitted from any final edit of the New T.

I dread to think what implications its authentication reveals for Catholicism.

I think proving the documents authenticity really does not prove the story came from Judas. After all it was written in the 4th century, and almost all the New Testiment books were written in the 2nd century. Thus, this was written about 200 years after most of Jesus's books of the Christian Bible. That is why (mainly) it was tossed out when a formal Bible was organized.

I'd not paint Judas as a evil man, but just simply as a man. Peter denied Jesus 3 times while he was being held by the Romans, yet the Catholic Church claims him as the rock of their church. Almost none of the Aposles were perfect men. They all had a hard time with Fear and Anger and religious indoctrination.

I dread to think what implications its authentication reveals for Catholicism.

I think the impact will be nearly zero.

I think proving the documents authenticity really does not prove the story came from Judas. After all it was written in the 4th century, and almost all the New Testiment books were written in the 2nd century. Thus, this was written about 200 years after most of Jesus's books of the Christian Bible. That is why (mainly) it was tossed out when a formal Bible was organized.

I think lets see if it is authentic first before we right off the contents, a book wrote in the 4th C, could always be a copy of an earlier text, but you're right so many hurdles these documents has to get over before they can be taken as gospel.

I'd not paint Judas as a evil man, but just simply as a man. Peter denied Jesus 3 times while he was being held by the Romans, yet the Catholic Church claims him as the rock of their church. Almost none of the Aposles were perfect men. They all had a hard time with Fear and Anger and religious indoctrination.

I was indoctrinated to believe he was by the catholic version of Judas, I think most of the world was, his name is synonymous with betrayal

I think the impact will be nearly zero.

You're probably right, I think most likely layer upon layer of proof will be needed to authenticate this and it won't even get to the point of having an impact, there will always be opposition to this, when you consider the Vatican having to adopt this as true and amend the whole bible story...not likely

Edited by ciriuslea
  • Like 1

I don't know... This new Pope is kind of Different. Maybe he'll open up the Vatican Archives to many more researchers.

• Like 1

The "Gospel" had a very different meaning then before the Nicea Council and the infallibility God by way of the testimony of the Apostles.

The term apocrypha is used with various meanings, including "hidden", "esoteric", "spurious", "of questionable authenticity", ancient Chinese "revealed texts and objects" and "Christian texts that are not canonical".

The word is originally Greek (ἀπόκρυφα) and means "those hidden away". Specifically, ἀπόκρυφα is the neuter plural of ἀπόκρυφος, an adjective related to the verb ἀποκρύπτω [infinitive: ἀποκρύπτειν] (apocriptein), "to hide something away."[1]

The general term is usually applied to the books in the Roman Catholic Bible or the Christian old testament, and the Eastern Orthodox Bible, but not the Protestant Bible on their claim that it is not God's word[citation needed].

wiki
The word gospel derives from the Old English gōd-spell [11] (rarely godspel), meaning "good news" or "glad tidings". The gospel was the "good news" of the coming Kingdom of Messiah, and of redemption through the life and death of Jesus, the central Christian message.[12] Gospel is a calque (word-for-word translation) of the Greek word εὐαγγέλιον, euangelion (eu- "good", -angelion "message") or in Aramaic (ܐܘܢܓܠܝܘܢ ewang'eliyawn). The Greek word euangelion is also the source (via Latinised evangelium) of the terms "evangelist" and "evangelism" in English. The authors of the four canonical Christian gospels are known as the Four Evangelists.
wiki

-

I did think from all the apostles Judas would be one who was compelled more to leave a gospel,

but its not hard to see why it was omitted from any final edit of the New T.

-

Not really sure if Judas could have left a gospel... After all he (reportedly) hanged himself immediately following Jesus' execution... Didn't leave much time for jotting down notes... Especially when you consider that the gospels of the other apostles were actually written down years afterward... I don't think I've ever read of any one of the apostles following Jesus around with a roll of parchment and a quill - though I could be wrong... However that's not to say that someone didn't remember Judas' words and actions and ghost write it for him after the fact...

• Like 1

Not really sure if Judas could have left a gospel... After all he (reportedly) hanged himself immediately following Jesus' execution... Didn't leave much time for jotting down notes... Especially when you consider that the gospels of the other apostles were actually written down years afterward... I don't think I've ever read of any one of the apostles following Jesus around with a roll of parchment and a quill - though I could be wrong... However that's not to say that someone didn't remember Judas' words and actions and ghost write it for him after the fact...

From the kiss to the execution wasn't minutes or even hours it was days, wasn't it ? more than enough time to leave a 'gospel' or his account of what happened, also if we are to believe the contents, Judas knew what he was about to do, now I don't know when the plan was hatched, the last supper ? so Judas had enough time again prior to the kiss ?

Also if we are to believe that all of the gospels are nothing more than hearsay passed down a few generations then how can we take any of the gospels as true ?

The MSS dates from the third to the fourth century, a little earlier than the earliest MSS of the canonical gospels, so from that prespective it seems legit.

Scholars, using internal evidence (aka "Kremlinology") usually date the conanical gospels earlier, but a lot of that may be wishful thinking. There are no really early manuscripts.

The choices of what among many choices the Church chose to include seems to have been mostly political decisions under Constantine in the fourth century at Nicea. Many earlier such writings are constantly being found.

• Like 1

I strongly doubt that the "Judas" of the stories actually wrote this, just as I strongly doubt that any of the Gospels were written by their purported authors. They all date from up to a century later. The only part of the NT that objective scholars think is from the claimed author are a few of the Pauline Epistles.

• Like 1