Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is WIndows 8 killing off the PC?

Merc14

Well when they roll out the Windows 8.1 version. I'm afraid there will be little more for people to complain about.

Well when they roll out the Windows 8.1 version. I'm afraid there will be little more for people to complain about.

Concur. It looks like MS is sticking to their guns.

I read that today. Still a rumor but maybe they have gotten the message.

I saw some screenshots of current developments. They have Implemented a type of start button on the metro screen. Have not seen the orb yet but they have a couple months more development to work at it.

I saw some screenshots of current developments. They have Implemented a type of start button on the metro screen. Have not seen the orb yet but they have a couple months more development to work at it.

Al I read was that there was menu item (possibly the same thing you are referring to) that allows you to select between traditional and Touch. This is what they should've had to begin with and let teh start menu die a natural death, if that is it's fate. Without ubiquitous touchscreens, metro was doomed.

People need time to get use to new things.

I've gotten use to it but it is not the best way to run a mouse driven computer and that is what is important. Also, if it is so vital then that metro remain in the OS then make the start menu an option,it can't be that hard as there are many utilities available that can do this now. The big fish in the tank here is corporate computers and there is where getting people used to something like Metro is a showstopper. It would coast huge money and thousands of hours of taring and troubleshooting. Too horrible to even contemplate hence the terrible reception a good OS has gotten.

• Like 2

This latest from Paul Thurrott's daily email:

Yes, Virginia, Microsoft Is Bringing the Start Button Back to Windows 8

And it’s going to let you boot to the desktop, bypassing the loathed new Start screen, too. I’ve confirmed these rumors with my own sources, as has my Windows Weekly co-host Mary Jo Foley, so I think we can move this one into the “fact” category, though of course details about how these changes will be implemented remain foggy. I do find it interesting that Microsoft CFO Peter Klein, while not explicitly acknowledging the changes, did oddly admit that the company update to Windows 8—called Windows 8.1 and code-named “Blue”—will include changes guided by “customer feedback.” I’m of two minds regarding this news. On the one hand, I’m glad Microsoft is finally listening to customers, many of whom have been very clear that Windows 8 as currently implemented isn't hugely interesting to them because of its too-radical design change. But on the other hand, what the heck, Microsoft? What took so damned long? The past six years—the Sinofsky regime, basically—are most obviously marked (to me, at least) by the Windows division’s abject disinterest in customer feedback. No, not disinterest. Disdain. And I really do hope that’s changing. This is a black mark that the company, and Windows, will find it hard to recover from.

He is usually spot-on so this thread can hibernate till fall, I guess, and we'll see if MS can revive the ugly OS. I thnk with a traditional desktop, Windows 8 will be a real crowd pleaser that I would readily recommend. Fast, stable, secure and easy work with and save from disaster.

They need to reintroduce the $39.99 special with Blue's release and kick start this thing back into the mainstream. If they do I'll move teh rest of my computers over.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was forced to upgrade again, luckily only my motherboard was affected though. Never tighten down a heatsink fan cooler too much, always leave as much slack in the screws as possible with it still being secure to the board. My idea was, well...the cpu fan is still wobbly, maybe just a little tighter, but nope, it bent some motherboard pins and caused non-post issues.

Edited by WoIverine

Well, I was forced to upgrade again, luckily only my motherboard was affected though. Never tighten down a heatsink fan cooler too much, always leave as much slack in the screws as possible with it still being secure to the board. My idea was, well...the cpu fan is still wobbly, maybe just a little tighter, but nope, it bent some motherboard pins and caused non-post issues.

Bummer.. Was it an expensive board?

Edited by Merc14

Bummer.. Was it an expensive board?

Yeah, at the time it was a little pricey, around $350. I remember something about the processor just not sitting correctly when I got it originally. I think maybe it always had bent pins already, but my heatsink probably made it worse. >_<

Edited by WoIverine

Yeah, at the time it was a little pricey, around $350. I remember something about the processor just not sitting correctly when I got it originally. I think maybe it always had bent pins already, but my heatsink probably made it worse. >_<

Yeah, that was a nice mobo. Feel for ya bud but as the Obama campaign said, never let a good crisis go to waste so maybe the computer Gods are saying "Time for you to move to 22nm goodness my son!!" The new stuff is really amazing. :yes:

Yeah, that was a nice mobo. Feel for ya bud but as the Obama campaign said, never let a good crisis go to waste so maybe the computer Gods are saying "Time for you to move to 22nm goodness my son!!" The new stuff is really amazing. :yes:

I saw they were the Ivy series. I was thinking I'd get a leg up and jump at the 2011 socket chips, but now I think I'll hold off on that and wait to see what happens. I had no idea they were already at the 22nm level, that is awesome.

Edited by WoIverine

I bought my kid a windows 8 notebook. Asus. Nice laptop..but couldn't get around on it without some difficutly. I contacted a friend who works for IBM and he suggested downloading 'Classic Shell' I googled and installed that..brought the start button back..beautiful!! Highly recommend!!

So how many years would you predict I will be able to live with my Windows 7 before I have to upgrade? Keep in mind that it is very hard to find new machines here that don't have illegal hacked versions of the operating system and its very hard to get legal versions properly installed, so I tend to wait until the very last moment until I upgrade, then go to Singapore and buy a legal one and pay the outrageous duty to bring it here. (I'm hoping Vietnam's joining the WTO will change things but it doesn't seem to have yet).

So how many years would you predict I will be able to live with my Windows 7 before I have to upgrade? Keep in mind that it is very hard to find new machines here that don't have illegal hacked versions of the operating system and its very hard to get legal versions properly installed, so I tend to wait until the very last moment until I upgrade, then go to Singapore and buy a legal one and pay the outrageous duty to bring it here. (I'm hoping Vietnam's joining the WTO will change things but it doesn't seem to have yet).

Many people are still using windows XP ... so how long you use Win7 is entirely up to you.

PC sales have suffered a record breaking 14% decline over the last quarter and many are blaming Windows 8. There are other reasons such as tablets and smartphones stealing market share but 14% is mind boggling, especially when a new OS is introduced.

I personally like Windows 8 but feel the metro start menu is counterproductive on a tradictional PC. It is disconcerting enough that I have told my customers, that are not enthusiasts, to steer clear of Windows 8 and selfishly the reason is I don't want the angry, frustrated phone calls when they can't turn off their computers or figure out where word is followed by negative Angie's List ratings.

Windows Blue (or 8.1) was hoped to be a mea-culpa from MS and a return, even if just an option, to the traditional start menu but all indicators are MS is doubling down on metro (the name keeps changing but who cares at this point) andmaking the desktop even more distant. If touchscreens on desktop were everywhere then metro may be a good thing but that isn't the case and the option to shift to the start menu instead should be there.

This is a sad state of affairs because Windows 8 really is a stable, fast and secure OS that improves many things from Windows 7. Other than the Start screen thing I love it but if MS hunkers down and forces the issue it is going to change the PC world forever and not for the better.

http://www.extremete...line-in-history

The decline in PC is because of a lack of games being produced and the games being sub-standard.

I think the software companies are trying to kill it off so everyone will move to games consoles.

Windows 7 will be viable for many years to come. Business is now moving whole sale to it and will be very unwilling to change again so quickly. Jake 1967 has a good recommendation though and there are many more of these shells available, good article here http://www.extremete...ck-to-windows-8 . Some cost $5 and some are free. Might be worth taking a chance and if it doesn't work out get an OEM of Windows 7 shipped to you and install that.

Edited by Merc14

I do like the fact that Win 8 boots up and shuts down fast. I compensated for the missing start button by created lots of shortcuts on the desktop and taskbar.

I'm looking forward to the Win 8.1 official upgrade though.

• Like 1

Many people are still using windows XP ... so how long you use Win7 is entirely up to you.

Microsoft are cutting support for Windows XP by I think it was March of next year.

The decline in PC is because of a lack of games being produced and the games being sub-standard.

I think the software companies are trying to kill it off so everyone will move to games consoles.

They are turning to reviving old classics which are still popular at the moment in the games market. Other than that I see what you mean but some new games still do very well on the pc market. They just need to market the other games which could also be doing well, better. Services like Steam are an example of better marketing methods in success.

Some great games out there fail due to being coupled with their own invasive DRM which punishes the user (the greedy CEOs in charge don't realise how everything works). In one case however a CEO stepped down as a result for doing just this which caused sales to suffer.

They think about money too much and while concentrating on that fact without proper consideration of the user has shown in many examples to cause many games to suffer in sales and piracy.

• Like 1

Thank you for the info on windows 8 - is there any hint at when windows 8.1 will be released? Weeks or months ? I have been tasked with getting a new PC for my mother - there is no way in hell I am getting her windows 8 computer the way it stands now though. But don't have much time to wait either as her old machine is only half functioning now, it's about to die.