Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is WIndows 8 killing off the PC?

Merc14

Thank you for the info on windows 8 - is there any hint at when windows 8.1 will be released? Weeks or months ? I have been tasked with getting a new PC for my mother - there is no way in hell I am getting her windows 8 computer the way it stands now though. But don't have much time to wait either as her old machine is only half functioning now, it's about to die.

They are showcasing it this June I think and will release it afterwards. So not too long at all now :)

• Like 1

I don't like the desktop and do all my work inside the applicable application. I get to them from a disappearing tool bar. Works fine and efficiently.

Edited by Frank Merton

The decline in PC is because of a lack of games being produced and the games being sub-standard.

I think the software companies are trying to kill it off so everyone will move to games consoles.

That's the most ridiculous explanation for this phenomenon to date.

Like consoles are a new concept.

Get real dude.

Microsoft are cutting support for Windows XP by I think it was March of next year.

And? It doesn't disable XP.

Second, they're cutting support NEXT year and win8 is already out. So it will take a loooooooooong time before they cut support of Win7.

I don't see why they should support Win 7 when they aren't getting anything from its sales. So it turns out to have a big hole in it -- why should they care -- they would have to spend money fixing it for no gain.

I don't see why they should support Win 7 when they aren't getting anything from its sales. So it turns out to have a big hole in it -- why should they care -- they would have to spend money fixing it for no gain.

That is exactly how Apple works. They generally support only the current version and the last, after that you are on your own. MS supports their OSes for a much longer period of time in deference to its corporate users, which is probaly the main reason Windows pretty much owns the industry. XP was supported for a much longer period of time than usual (introduced in 2001), though, because of the failure of Vista whch made everyone skip a generation.

MS, however, is now trying to adopt a much faster turnaround which will probably mean shorter support periods for older OSes. We'll see how that goes because the corporate users loath upgrading ever. The thing is, the newer versions of Windows are much more secure than the older ones and the incorporation of new native features like USB3.

And? It doesn't disable XP.

Second, they're cutting support NEXT year and win8 is already out. So it will take a loooooooooong time before they cut support of Win7.

I think Windows 8 will probably take over Windows 7 once the update rolls out easily and may find Windows 7 phased out a lot sooner.

I think Windows 8 will probably take over Windows 7 once the update rolls out easily and may find Windows 7 phased out a lot sooner.

I don't know man, Windows 7 is just now the mainstream, worldwide baseline system and I can't see the IT guys getting all enthused about swapping everyone out again so soon. It sure seems like MS is on a beta release program, just to test the wind, before releasing the real OS. I am very happy with 8, especially at $39.99. :tu: but there is definitely room for improvement and they better not screw up Blue.

I don't know man, Windows 7 is just now the mainstream, worldwide baseline system and I can't see the IT guys getting all enthused about swapping everyone out again so soon. It sure seems like MS is on a beta release program, just to test the wind, before releasing the real OS. I am very happy with 8, especially at $39.99. :tu: but there is definitely room for improvement and they better not screw up Blue.

That's true. However if the management want a faster and more secure system and hear of the new Windows 8 version. The IT guys are just going to do what they've been told.

Yeh definitely. I'd say within the next 6 months we will see the OS polished for touch and mouse and keyboard systems and a generally satisfied customer base.

It's official, Windows 8.1 (Blue) will be free to Windows 8 users. The official preview will ship June 26th so we'll know then what to expect going forward. I hope they listen and fix the problems that are holding this OS back.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2038718/microsoft-confirms-the-windows-8-1-update-a-k-a-blue-will-be-free.html

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Got Windows 8 on a work laptop. Updated it this morning from an automatic update. Keyboard and mouse no longer work. Ah, Windows, why fix something that's broken when you can just start fresh with ****.

• Like 1

Got Windows 8 on a work laptop. Updated it this morning from an automatic update. Keyboard and mouse no longer work. Ah, Windows, why fix something that's broken when you can just start fresh with ****.

LOL. Not your problem but your "why fix something when you can just ....." Can you plug a keyboard and mouse in and then restore to an earlier point in system restore?

Edited by Merc14

LOL. Not your problem but your "why fix something when you can just ....." Can you plug a keyboard and mouse in and then restore to an earlier point in system restore?

Tried that, didn't work. The IT guy thought maybe the update had shut off the USB ports. I got it working finally hitting the 'Assist' button (it's a Vaio) and it's busy doing a system restore. Once it does that, I think I'll use it as a door stop.

• Like 1

Tried that, didn't work. The IT guy thought maybe the update had shut off the USB ports. I got it working finally hitting the 'Assist' button (it's a Vaio) and it's busy doing a system restore. Once it does that, I think I'll use it as a door stop.

Have you checked Device Manager? If you able are to at least... Hmm the Sony Vaio my dad has got may as well be a door stop already. The preinstalled bunch of bloatware like the Vaio sidebar slows things down a lot, the 1GB RAM is stressed enough.

The PC is not going anywhere believe me and your an idiot if you think so.

You are right .. 'The PC is not going anywhere' and that is the problem .... both to and from

Did you read the article in the OP idiot? I suggest you get some context before you start labeling other people Idiots when the only idiot on this thread is you.

• Like 1

Have you checked Device Manager? If you able are to at least... Hmm the Sony Vaio my dad has got may as well be a door stop already. The preinstalled bunch of bloatware like the Vaio sidebar slows things down a lot, the 1GB RAM is stressed enough.

I would've if I could've. I couldn't get past that garish date and time screen. No lie there. I was looking for a way to get rid of that Vaio bar as well. Looks like my IT guy is going to scrub a slightly older laptop and just put Windows 7 on it. Anyway, I would probably have to go back to Windows 7 anyway, the basic program for Crystal Reports that I have is only compatible with 7.

I would've if I could've. I couldn't get past that garish date and time screen. No lie there. I was looking for a way to get rid of that Vaio bar as well. Looks like my IT guy is going to scrub a slightly older laptop and just put Windows 7 on it. Anyway, I would probably have to go back to Windows 7 anyway, the basic program for Crystal Reports that I have is only compatible with 7.

Hmmm that's seriously unfortunate. I'm guessing your laptop doesn't have a PS/2 connector either.

I haven't tried removing it yet but the VAIO preinstalled run-on-startup applications waste quite a lot of system resources.

Yeh that sounds like the best solution. I thought VAIO laptops came with a lengthy warranty. Not sure if this would be covered but if it's still valid there's no harm in trying.

I dont like the idea of putting fingerprints all over the screen on touch screens.especially if you've been eating greasy chips.

• Like 1

I have an Android based computer that I use for reading books in bed. I find I hate having to "swipe" it to do things -- it only responds occasionally and then sometimes in unexpected ways, and is a damn sight more bother than turning a page. I like a "next page" button. The thing reminds me of the old mouse gestures that some people thought would eliminate keyboards. I hated them too.

Just venting.

I remember the 'voice recognition' command interface back then .... I asked 'what if I shouted - Format C: drive yes confirm slash x ?" in the middle of the office loudly ?

The sales rep got a shade of red in the face so red I swear she was going to explode ... another fat commission pay cheque outta the 'window'

:lol:

~edit : spell check blind spot // which reminds me .... :lol:

Edited by third_eye

it will be more like " the pc killing off windows 8 "

people are more willing to give up this crappy version of windows than give up the pc

it's already being discussed this windows is a failure

I have an Android based computer that I use for reading books in bed. I find I hate having to "swipe" it to do things -- it only responds occasionally and then sometimes in unexpected ways, and is a damn sight more bother than turning a page. I like a "next page" button. The thing reminds me of the old mouse gestures that some people thought would eliminate keyboards. I hated them too.

Just venting.

Pick up an Amazon Kindle or any similar device :)

it will be more like " the pc killing off windows 8 "

people are more willing to give up this crappy version of windows than give up the pc

it's already being discussed this windows is a failure

It's faster and more secure than windows 7. Just needs a couple fixes (believe it or not they do release updates like in previous windows versions) and with the currently discussed 8.1 update, it will soon become option number 1.

I use a Microsoft surface and find this OS absolute ideal for the product. Have you tried learning or even using this OS?

• Like 1

It's faster and more secure than windows 7. Just needs a couple fixes (believe it or not they do release updates like in previous windows versions) and with the currently discussed 8.1 update, it will soon become option number 1.

I use a Microsoft surface and find this OS absolute ideal for the product. Have you tried learning or even using this OS?

i've read too many bad reviews of the product that made me think it's not even worth the effort

it was a pain to costumize my windows 7 with every tiny detail to suit me

do i want to spend countless hours doing the same with windows 8 only to find out it's not worth it ? nope definatly

my guess is microsoft going to relase all updates they want

but their problem won't be solved till they release the version after windows 8 .. windows 9 ?

they made perfect job of windows 7 but 8 .. not really encouraged to try it out from all the reviews

• Like 1