Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Kowalski

Broun/Stockman Letter to Boehner

4 posts in this topic

Boehner Warned Not to Break 'Hastert Rule' on New Gun Measures

By John Parkinson | ABC OTUS News – 1 hr 57 mins ago

Although the Senate just jumped a procedural hurdle, clearing the way for a fresh debate on gun control, two hard-right conservatives in the House of Representatives have worked in the past week to collect signatures on a letter to House Speaker John Boehner discouraging him from bringing any new gun measures to the floor without support from a majority of the House Republican Conference.

The effort is being led by Reps. Paul Broun, a Senate hopeful gunning for Georgia's open seat, and Steve Stockman, a Texas Republican who gained notoriety earlier this year for inviting rocker/2nd Amendment-defender Ted Nugent to the State of the Union.

"We are writing to express our strong opposition to legislation requiring private sale background checks for firearms purchases," the letter reads. "Under the precedents and traditions of the House, we would ask that no gun legislation be brought to the floor of the House unless it has the support of a majority of our caucus."

That majority within the majority is also known around the Capitol as the Hastert Rule, after former GOP Speaker Dennis Hastert of Illinois. Boehner has broken it on key votes this year, testing his speakership, such as votes on the Fiscal Cliff agreement, Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act, and emergency relief for victims of Superstorm Sandy.

Boehner has long-maintained that he aspires to be the Speaker of the Whole House of Representatives, not just House Republicans, although it's a tricky high-wire act to execute and one more slip could cost Boehner his perch atop the party.

The speaker today emphasized that he does not feel beholden to the informal rule.

"It was never a rule to begin with," he said. "Certainly my prerogative or my intention is to always pass bills with strong Republican support."

Although Boehner has recently come under fire for violating the unspoken rule five times over the past three years, Nancy Pelosi broke it on seven pieces of legislation during her tenure as Speaker, while Hastert did so 12 times and Newt Gingrich needed minority majorities on six measures.

Boehner reiterated Wednesday that he will wait for the Senate to pass a gun measure before the House reviews it or potentially acts on it. In the meantime, he says, House committees will continue reviewing the issue as well.

A spokesman for Rep. Stockman says more than 45 Republicans have signed the letter, although it's doubtful a "Hastert majority" of the House GOP will endorse it.

"The so-called 'universal background check' would be a violation of a constitutionally-guaranteed right on an unprecedented scale," Broun and Stockman write in a letter seeking signatures. "The [National Rifle Association], [Gun Owners of America] and other gun groups have made available a substantial amount of research on the dangers of universal background checks, which we would be happy to pass along."

From: http://news.yahoo.com/boehner-warned-not-break-hastert-rule-gun-measures-185026004--abc-news-politics.html

To check out the copy of that letter visit: http://stockman.house.gov/media-center/blog-posts/text-of-the-stockmanbroun-letter

I would like to post some of that letter:

The so-called “universal background check” system would be a violation of Constitutionally-guaranteed rights on an unprecedented scale. The principle that no person can purchase or sell a firearm without first receiving government permission transforms the Second Amendment from a “right” that should be protected by the government into a privilege granted by the government.

In addition to constitutional concerns, even if every private transfer of firearms were regulated by the federal government, it would not be an effective crime fighting tool. Typically, shooters steal firearms (Adam Lanza), pass a background check (James Holmes and Jared Loughner) or receive their firearms through straw purchasers (which is already illegal).

Such a law would apply to transfers between family members, friends and neighbors, who would be required to seek out a federally licensed gun dealer to facilitate the transaction. Many sellers in very rural areas would find it a great hardship to travel many miles, accompanied by their purchasers, in order to make a sale in a licensed dealer’s place of business. And many small dealers are closed on weekends and holidays. Will the people’s right to transfer lawfully owned products be valid only during working hours?

We are also very concerned about the potential for official misuse and gun owner registration, as the BATFE is increasingly copying the contents of gun dealers’ 4473 forms.

Universal background check legislation is also opposed by the National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, the National Association for Gun Rights, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, and other national and state level pro-Second Amendment organization.

Therefore, under the precedents and traditions of the House, we would ask that no gun legislation be brought to the floor of the House unless it has the support of a majority of our caucus.

I am so glad that at least SOME of our elected officials are doing what the majority of America wants. :clap:

Please don't give me that bullroar, about polls where 90% of America wants background checks.

Those polls are made up to try to make people believe what the government wants them to believe, and jump on the anti-gun bandwagon that they MSM is doing a good job of advocating.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -- Benjamin Frankiln

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

While I don't want a bunch of new restrictions on gun ownership I think background checks are necessary. How else are you going to know if the person trying to make the purchase isn't a felon or just got out of a mental institution.

Once approved I don't think they should be holding on to your fingerprints or other information.

Edited by Hilander

While I don't want a bunch of new restrictions on gun ownership I think background checks are necessary. How else are you going to know if the person trying to make the purchase isn't a felon or just got out of a mental institution.

Once approved I don't think they should be holding on to your fingerprints or other information.

Whenever a government has had registration of guns, later on they call for all out confiscation of them because they know where they are. I'm sorry, but everytime we give the government an inch, they take a mile. I'm too afraid of them using a gun registry as a way to find out where all the guns are.

Kowalski, you don't have to worry about that because it's 2013 and governments don't do that anymore especially in America.