Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The History of Schizophrenia

notforgotten

I gotta tell you. People like OP were running the world for a good part of human history. They really did. Some people started seeing the world as is, and the advance of human civilization finally started.

Now you are confusing psychopathy and sociopathy with schizophrenia and dementia. Now the mentally ill are to blame for the woes of history too eh :innocent: . Anything to rationalize the torture of innocent people in the name of pharmo-psychology pseudo-science.

Edited by Glorfindel
  • Like 1

Well, you know, you are very aggressive to people who have a favorable view on modern psychiatry so this will be my last post in this topic. I didn't mean what you said. What I wanted to tell was that people who allegedly spoke with gods or whatever actually had a significant influence in decision makings of the ruling class throughout the history. Even in modern time, people in less developed societies still listen to schizophrenics as the messengers to God. Actually, you don't even have to go that far. I can say there are plenty of messengers of God active in churches around Koreatown in Los Angeles.

I dealt with dozens of schizophrenics working in a mental ward. These people can barely dress themselves and complete a comprehensible sentence. I don't believe schizophrenics could have ever had any influence on any rulers in history. I'd like to see some examples cited.

• Like 1

If someone is walking down a busy street bare-naked shouting obscenities and charging at people with a screwdriver, which of those behaviors should bring out the police? Should any of them bring about the imposition of mandatory treatment?

<clip>

So if you want to give your complete trust to your psychiatrist go ahead. But God help you, Frank, (whatever "God" means and doesn't mean to you) if the side-effects end up being a bummer.

Where did I say "complete trust?" Aspirin also has bummer side effects; that is why when taking medicine one wants professional advice. Yes the professionals may get it wrong, but it is a good bit better than trying to make oneself one's own expert.

I'm schizophrenic in that I hallucinate. However, the hallucinations are mundane and not frightening and I understand them and don't think they are real. In fact I never did. My theory is that there are a couple of wires crossed incorrectly that turn internal chatter into mistaken outside sensory events that then get "interpreted" before being handed over to my conscious mind.

I was once also suicidal, until Prozac; it seems to have no effect on me except to remove the suicidal thoughts. I strongly appreciate this.

I've given up on counselling and talk therapy. I think they are a waste of time and money, at least for me.

If someone is walking down a busy street bare-naked shouting obscenities and charging at people with a screwdriver, which of those behaviors should bring out the police? Should any of them bring about the imposition of mandatory treatment?

What would happen if someone wasn't mentally ill and doing that? You guys are using the most extreme examples to justify stripping the rights of all mentally ill people. And schizophrenics who can barely dress themselves? Im sure there are some with that level of severity but it doesn't represent the average, and I question your truthfulness Scowl, I question whether you even have experience with them for saying that. Or maybe youre just confusing different illnesses with schizophrenia, which seems to be the norm in this thread. One thing is for sure, the treatment in the ward you worked in must have been very ineffective. I've seen it happen alright, Ive seen the cops break in without a warrant and pull people from their beds using mental health legislature. Ive then seen the illness itself get progressively worse after the individual is treated like an animal in the ward.

What makes me so aggressive about it, is that you guys are trying to justify this treatment by a) claiming the mentally ill are criminals, b ) attributing wrong symptoms to the wrong disorders (generalizing mental illnesses and demonstrating extreme ignorance on the topic), and c) using the most extreme examples to justify the poor treatment of all of them. The fact is mentally ill people come from all walks of life, I know at least one PhD with mental illness, and I have to listen to you people talk down about them. Sorry, but it can happen to anyone, it could happen to you or me, and it happens to people who were better then us and harder working in life all the time, but hey, if you gotta feel superior to them by torturing them and taking their rights, so be it, but don't expect my approval, and don't expect me to sit down and shut up about it.

Edited by Glorfindel

Hi Frank, per your "Yes the professionals may get it wrong, but it is a good bit better than trying to make oneself one's own expert."...

I much agree that we should never try to be our own medical experts. Otoh, Google, e.g., Risperdal off-label lawsuits and you can see why we have to worry when we might be getting bad professional advice based on physician we trust being greatly misinformed by those who can greatly profit by providing that misinformation.

Regards and be well

• Like 1

Look I know about mandatory treatment and approve of it in extreme cases. No one ever forced treatment on me -- I sought it out for myself. This sort of thing is for experts to judge. I would approve of the middle course between sometimes having mandatory treatment (when the person refuses it and is a danger to themselves or others) and otherwise having it optional.

I dealt with dozens of schizophrenics working in a mental ward. These people can barely dress themselves and complete a comprehensible sentence. I don't believe schizophrenics could have ever had any influence on any rulers in history. I'd like to see some examples cited.

I happened to study schizophrenia in my college biology class. (wonder why) Seems like the term itself is an umbrella term covering various symptoms in varying degrees. The poor souls you have encountered were probably the worst cases of treatment-resistant ones.

I have stumbled upon some crime news dealing with schizophrenics. They suffer delusions and hallucinations. Surprisingly not all of them can't make coherent sentences. Some definitely can. Many of them happen to have some incredibly bizarre thinking process. And contrary to the popular belief most schizos have lower-than-average IQs. Those who happen to have higher IQs somewhat manage to live a life...but, most of schizos have trouble finding a job and many of them end up in the lower end of poverty spectrum. It's a fact. I wonder why someone came to believe that schizos are the best example of humankind...

I just came across this link that includes a quote from Sydney Banks. I know nothing about his approach. Has anyone one heard of his "Three Principles"? And if so, do you have any comments, pro, con or otherwise

My intelligence is not below normal and I have a special talent for learning languages. I also did fine in my career, but clearly have schizoid tendencies, unless maybe in your studies you would have a different label to attach. I don't think I'm delusional, but I do have occasional episodes of hallucination. I just figure there are some wires crossed incorrectly.

• Like 2

I happened to study schizophrenia in my college biology class. (wonder why) Seems like the term itself is an umbrella term covering various symptoms in varying degrees. The poor souls you have encountered were probably the worst cases of treatment-resistant ones.

I have stumbled upon some crime news dealing with schizophrenics. They suffer delusions and hallucinations. Surprisingly not all of them can't make coherent sentences. Some definitely can. Many of them happen to have some incredibly bizarre thinking process. And contrary to the popular belief most schizos have lower-than-average IQs. Those who happen to have higher IQs somewhat manage to live a life...but, most of schizos have trouble finding a job and many of them end up in the lower end of poverty spectrum. It's a fact. I wonder why someone came to believe that schizos are the best example of humankind...

Why were you learning about schizophrenia in biology class? Not surprising, I guess I am dealing with those educated in Amurica. Anyways, I myself never stated or implied that people suffering from schizophrenia are "the best people", im just arguing that they are people and not lab animals. Can you provide a source for your assertion that schizophrenia is associated with lower IQ? Most people aren't born with schizophrenia, the symptoms usually start in the early-mid 20s in men, and the late 20s - early 30s in woman. As far as I know learning disabilities or low IQ or mental disability have never been considered predispositions causing someone to be at risk for schizophrenia.

Frank, look up the term "schizoid", I don't think schizoid people hallucinate at all. It is more of a "social disorder" I believe. And no, being schizophrenic does NOT make you an expert on the subject, clearly.

Edited by Glorfindel

I wonder why someone came to believe that schizos are the best example of humankind...

Because the human mind is fascinating. Because it is not something easy to deal with and so they must adapt in creative ways if they are to survive(often genius). Because schizophrenia is one of the worst words in any language to ever be stamped onto people. Because they are some of the most kind-hearted souls you could ever meet. Because when the kid across the street freaks out it always makes me smile and think about how profound his outbursts always are. Because they are paranormal and not your average Joe. IDK, maybe just because they exist with what can be one hell of a wicked condition to deal with. Bottom line: some people think in ways you could never imagine and until science evolves to the point where it can ease the pain without causing debilitating side effects, they will always be true heroes of endurance, IMO.

• Like 2

All that happens to me is I hear voices usually speaking my name, sometimes with a "hi" attached; I see yellow cats out the corner of my eye every now and then that of course aren't there, and every now and then I feel a hand on my shoulder. Nothing particularly disturbing and I never sought any sort of treatment.

My theory is that the brain sometimes confuses external sensory input with other events and invents the corresponding sensation.

• Like 1

Hi Frank,

I find your experiences fascinating, and your approach to them very praise-worthy. Bravo!

In my case, non-verbally and non-pictorially, and occasionally I get out of the blue ideas: sometimes answers first, sometimes questions first, sometimes just deep and broad insights to philosophical and/or math and/or science topics.

And although I do not think in pictures, once a picture came to me unbidden and as a result I invented in a series of flashes, the now patented sun and moon clock and natural calendar found via http://TrueTyme.org .

I don't know what is going on and coming off, but I have on occasion been able to freak out both religionist and atheist mental health pros sufficiently enough so that I have been able to greatly financially profit by that.

So much so that I write all about the above in a free book.

Edited by AnotherCrazyGuy

• 8 months later...

It's time for this world to wake up and see the truth about schizophrenia in this world today. God, Jesus, angels and saints in heaven have reached out to those poor lowly schizophrenic souls that have been broken by the devil. Wake up world and listen to the truth!

What proof do you have that it is actually messages from God, Jesus and angels? Do you have any?

What proof do you have that it is actually messages from God, Jesus and angels? Do you have any?

Jesus said so!

I never said that it was messages from God, Jesus, or angels. I said that those people reach out to the sinner who has been persecuted and broken by the devils. It is a call to grace...to be an adopted child of God. Your evidence is in the history of schizophrenia and pictures of ghosts (evil spirits) and the paranormal, It is seen in today's music like Metallica, "hush little baby, don't say a word, it's just the beast under your bed, in your closet and in your head".

There is evidence in scripture:

1 Peter 5 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he is may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while,perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Drugs (sins) like methamphetamine, amphetamine and cocaine are primarily responsible for schizophrenia today. Drugs are also known for causing brain damage and this is why, I believe that psychiatry says that research implies that schizophrenia is a brain disorder. Note that research only implies that schizophrenia is a brain disorder. And this has merely been being said over the last hundred years. Before then, for thousands of years schizophrenia had been known to be the devil or evil spirits.

Do you accept that maybe those pictures of ghosts, the music lyrics, and even the scriptures may be due to peoples imagination/simply wrong? If not, why?

Do you accept that maybe those pictures of ghosts, the music lyrics, and even the scriptures may be due to peoples imagination/simply wrong? If not, why?

No, I've seen the truth for myself. Schizophrenia does not really exist. The state or condition is temporal punishment by God/Jesus through the Holy Spirit. It is an unhealthy attachment to creatures as a consequence of sin. It should be seen as a call to grace, to accept God's most loving offer to be an child of His through His Son Christ Jesus.

This is what it might look like for the Holy Spirit to bring an evil spirit into a person's life as temporal punishment for a person's sin:

xmas-orb.jpg

Keep in mind that the Holy Spirit brings good spirits in a person's life as well.

1 Samuel 16:14 But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and a distressing spirit from the LORD troubled him. A nd Saul's servants said to him, "Surely, a distressing spirit from God is troubling you".

Please note that schizophrenia is not God's fault, but the sinner's fault for their sin.

Edited by notforgotten

What do you mean you've "seen the truth for yourself"? How do you know you weren't mistaken?

What do you mean you've "seen the truth for yourself"? How do you know you weren't mistaken?

Because I am not stupid. The glory goes to Father God through His Son Christ Jesus for the ultimate deliverance from this attachment to the devil. Ultimately, the Christian will be a good spirit in heaven with God and not be shackled to the Evil One. My wife, who is now looking over my shoulders says that she agrees with this statement. Edited by notforgotten