Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bird pecking at my window.

danbell06

I'm not superstitious and I know that in myth birds pecking at windows can mean various things but i dont believe this.

Since I moved into my new house 4 weeks ago I've heard a noise which i just thought was the house settling. About 20 minutes ago I heard this same noise so being the man of the house and all, I went to investigate. I couldn't believe that a little red bird was flapping at the window pecking to get in.

I have 2 dogs so i never opened the window. But it just sat on the window ledge pecking, then flapping and pecking then it flew off. It's only happened about 3 or 4 times.

Does anyone know why birds do this? I have a flower in a vase on the window cill so i thought it may be why it keeps occuring but I'm still intrigued.

Old wives tale version : Birds pecking at a window signify someone is going to die .

Thanks for that. However, I don't believe this to be the case :)

Plenty of people feed birds and the birds get used to it and come calling..... you might have one who just wants his dinner

My girlfriend put some bread on the window cill for it. Haven't heard a peep since.

Edited by danbell06

Around here such a thing is considered a good omen; even better if the bird comes inside (of course you want to help it get out again by opening a door and gently showing it where the door is -- the thing tends to be terrified when it discovers where it is). The same applies to bats and wasps and dragonflies. Spiders are not so good, but the worst possible thing is to kill it. Catch it in a jar and put it outside. Probably the luckiest of all is to have one or more resident geckos climbing around on your ceilings.

About the only thing found around in houses that a Vietnamese will kill on sight is a centipede. In this part of the world they can get big and they are aggressive and the sting is dangerous. Since they feed on ants, the best course is to keep things that might attract ants cleaned up.

• Like 1

Well, putting bread on the sill for the birds would surely do it. Though, are you perfectly sure your girlfriend isn't aware of the "old-wives tales?" I'd be more worried about her I think!

Bread is not nearly as bad for birds as are cats.

Your probably not preparing the cat correctly, avoid spicy curries and dianne sauces...serve in thin strips and the birds shouldnt have any problems

• Like 3

Your probably not preparing the cat correctly, avoid spicy curries and dianne sauces...serve in thin strips and the birds shouldnt have any problems

I get and appreciate the joke, but I need to ask if this is because of my non-native use of English or if it is just a potential of the language. In other words, is there some way I should have said it to not leave myself open to what you did?

• Like 1

Hey Frank;

..I would never have known you were non native English speaking..until you mentioned it and I have read other comments youve posted, so "it is just a potential of the language"

Cheers... :)

• Like 1

yep like it said it's the reflection

my bird just love to spend his time attacking windows and mirrors

i had to cover the lcd screen sometimes :D

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I`ve heard a few different things some by word of mouth others by reading. It may be a sign from your Guardian Angel, spirit guide, or a trillion other things. Some good some not so good. Do not sell your house just buy a bigger dog. Roof

Every year I have a pair of tree swallows build a nest in my garage and have young. I don't mind it except for the poop that lands on my truck.:huh:

So I nail a piece of cardboard under the nest to catch the poop.:lol:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 4/13/2013 at 4:37 AM, Frank Merton said:

Bread is not nearly as bad for birds as are cats.

Or rice,which is why some people don't throw it at weddings anymore.

On 4/13/2013 at 3:39 AM, danbell06 said:

I'm not superstitious and I know that in myth birds pecking at windows can mean various things but i dont believe this.

Since I moved into my new house 4 weeks ago I've heard a noise which i just thought was the house settling. About 20 minutes ago I heard this same noise so being the man of the house and all, I went to investigate. I couldn't believe that a little red bird was flapping at the window pecking to get in.

I have 2 dogs so i never opened the window. But it just sat on the window ledge pecking, then flapping and pecking then it flew off. It's only happened about 3 or 4 times.

Does anyone know why birds do this? I have a flower in a vase on the window cill so i thought it may be why it keeps occuring but I'm still intrigued.

The bird is just seeing his own reflection in the glass, and thinks he's seeing a rival that he feels the need to chase out of his territory, and not even realizing he's looking at himself.  There are some companies out there that sell stickers to put in your windows to keep birds from flying into them, and something like that might work in your situation. Hope this helps!

On 4/13/2013 at 3:39 AM, danbell06 said:

Birds are funny things. It might be that the previous tenant fed the bird, or even had a cat the bird liked to taunt- we got a couple of those around here. Birds seem to also sometimes like to hop on sills and check out the window, like they are admiring themselves or perhaps thing they see another bird.

There are all kinds of explanations and birds can be weird. I like to watch birds—I know, I'm exciting. But your experience reminded me of something outside our office years ago. A robin would flitter down to the windowsill outside the empty store across from us and sit there, staring in. Over and over and over for several days in a row. It was quite amusing, so I made a little video about it for an old YouTube channel I have:

I figured the bird was either attracted to its reflection in the window or could see itself (and thought it was another bird) in a large mirror inside the empty store. Whatever the case, it gave us some entertainment.

There is a custom of buying a caged bird and taking it to temple to release it as a way to acquire karma -- I don't think very effective as the bird is very soon caught again.  I think the birds are use to the routine and like the good meal the monks give them.  One doesn't do this with exotic birds who wouldn't survive in the city -- just house sparrows.