Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Facebook declining

pitchp

I once had a facebook account, sure it was cool at the time, then something eventually hit me. I needed to grow up and move on. So I cancelled my facebook and here I am now in UM with you. ;) Anyways it seems like there is a growing number of people moving away from facebook. Is facebook now just another myspace? Have the people come to realise that there is more to life than facebook?? Or are people starting to realise sharing your private life with the world might not be such a good idea. In any case, It seems the records are in and it's starting to show.

Uh oh. Teens are growing tired of Facebook (FB) and YouTube (GOOG), new research (pdf) shows, a falling-out that has the potential to trigger a wide-ranging effect on retail, fashion, gaming, and other youth-oriented industries.

According to Piper Jaffray (PJC), while Facebook and YouTube are still considered the most important social media destination for teens, their popularity among this fickle demographic has fallen precipitously since this time last year, as the chart below indicates. (The cold-shoulder treatment may be because so many parents and grannies seem, creepily, to be all over Facebook these days.)

0411-teens-social-media-inline-405.jpg

Source: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-04-11/facebook-fatigue-among-teens-should-freak-out-marketers

• Like 2

Left FB more than a year now. Depending on country, language, culture, there are better much less creepy alternatives to FB. For instance in Russia is VK (in contact) that has a much more user friendly format and an owner who will not bend the knee to anybody, as FB does. But in the end there is no altenative to actually having real life friends, and a life....

With Facebook in support of unethical business methods I warmly welcome these new statistics. I don't frequent Facebook as much as I used to and now simply use it as a communication medium.

Would be interesting to see how Google+ is going.

• Like 2

I've never had a FB account, but it is a great way to find old friends. So I've contacted a few old friends through my kids accounts. I only contact them the first time using FB, and then give them my email. Once they contact me via email they are like "Hey, you have to join FB so we can talk!"

I'm like...huh?

• Like 2

There's plenty of other things I can think of than hanging out in facebook. Like saving the world.

• Like 1

Let's see here, my choices are: 1) Spending time on Facebook or 2) Doing just about anything else (other than having dental work). Seems a pretty clear choice.

• Like 5

i don't really know if that graph can prove very much, according to it everything, even twitter, is less important now than it was. What does this tell us? Why, it shows that Social media as a whole is declining, obviously. And what does that show? Well, I suppose it shows that we shouldn't take very much notice of whatever Social media Commentators say.

If one is going to participate on a forum, one should pay attention to what others on that forum say, or at least to what those on the threads you subscribe to say (unless, of course, they are stupid).

• Like 1

Uh oh. Teens are growing tired of Facebook (FB) and YouTube (GOOG), new research (pdf) shows, a falling-out that has the potential to trigger a wide-ranging effect on retail, fashion, gaming, and other youth-oriented industries.

According to Piper Jaffray (PJC), while Facebook and YouTube are still considered the most important social media destination for teens, their popularity among this fickle demographic has fallen precipitously since this time last year, as the chart below indicates. (The cold-shoulder treatment may be because so many parents and grannies seem, creepily, to be all over Facebook these days.)

The average gamer is most likely a parent by now, is that industry really youth-oriented?

Your comment of parents and gradparents creepily FBing seems to be rooted in ageism and is not very attractive.

Your graph showing which sites are most popular among teens is based on a study that only surveyed 5000 of them in the United States.

The most popular sites in my mind would be Twitter (to keep track of those you follow, officially or unoffically) and Instagram (to look at who you are following and to show yourself off).

While not all teens will want an Insta account it seems those certain of their looks are not afraid of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped using facebook a few years ago. It felt strange for me putting all my photos online, sharing so much with everyone. Putting something on facebook its like sms all your friends telling them you are going on vacation. Its something you would never do. I like to share things with people but only close friends. Like all social netwroks they fade away, there was that one with the music on..see I can not even remember its name lol

I did join diaspora but not sure thats reall caught on yet I did likke the idea of that because it was less comemercial than facebook.

Are new user accounts declining because people are getting bored with it or because there are only so many people worldwide with regular internet access who are interested in social networking?

Ergo, have they saturated their market as much as is possible?

• Like 1

The problem for facebook are place like china where they have good alternatives like the happy network. People use that instead of facebook. The same for Korea they have a good alternative. Facebook numbers maybe in decline I guess they do not need to worry too much. What they need to do is to start making some decent money. Thats the key part and whether the things they put in place to make money then drives its users away. The next few years are crucial for facebook.

I joined Facebook and promptly got offers of friendship accompanied by sexy pictures. Really now, at my age?

• Like 3

I know one thing for sure. People don't play the games like they used to. I used to catch my old boss playing Farmville whenever I would be waiting for reports to come out...

I still love Facebook. It's my main source of staying in touch with friends and family. Only game I play on there is Candy Crush which is annoyingly addictive.

• Like 1

I use FB like a liquor store run these days ... go in - grab - pay - out the door ....

• Like 1

I have never had a personal FB account, and never will, I personally dont see what people see in FB TBH

In the past I did have an account on FB, made up with bogus detail's (name DOB etc) just for an online game that I used to play(used to get extra thing's if used FB)

I do not see why people are so eager to post anything and everything personal on FB or the net

i don't know if anyone's heard about this new thing I believe they're trying out; Twitter, is it called? I don't know if anyone's tried that yet. I don't know if it'll catch on myself.

:blush:

For me it is very simple: If I want to trade my personal data for their gain I expect a little more than a Faerie Garden or Farmville game... that is way to cheap for mine.

Too much drama and ridiculousness on that site. I also don't really care what everyone is doing 24/7.

I don't know why I still have it, because the only reason I kept it was to get in touch with certain people.. and I haven't haha Now I realize that I could just save myself the headache and delete the thing.. :tu:

I have a FB account that I haven't looked at for over 2 years, maybe more like 3. I never closed the account I just stopped checking.

I couldnt figure out how to close my account so it just sits there idle.

have only had facebook sinse October 2012, have six friends, three of which are family and I wish i'd never met the other three. I got it so I could place a resume there then when I looked it over I said "no way in .... am I going to post a resume here" never bothered to get rid of it. really should but it is the only way to keep in touch with some family members.

• Like 1