Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Secret Soviet UFO studies revealed

A former KGB agent has revealed details of Soviet studies and experiments relating to UFOs.

The Soviet Union took UFOs seriously. The KGB and the Soviet Defence Ministry had dedicated units collecting and analysing information about paranormal activity.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Sorry but I found the bit about making contact with the objects rather funny.

If they are intelligent then I doubt they think we are now

Sorry but I found the bit about making contact with the objects rather funny.

If they are intelligent then I doubt they think we are now

If that did indeed happen then isnt that quite remarkable? even if it is just a basic form of communication

Quite remarkable. Of course individuals have been reporting for years that flying saucers or their occupants have responded to various lights and gestures, but that the military establishment of a prominent nation was doing the same is something new.

Surprising that this was admitted, and the the military took the matter seriously enough to go to the trouble to fly many aircraft and move much equipment around to provoke flying saucer appearances.

Of the three conclusions offered, natural phenomena, foreign surveillance devices, and extraterrestrial craft, the last sounds the most reasonable. Since when do natural phenomena respond to hand gestures? And why would surveillance equipment from a foreign nation on Earth have a bright light on it, so as to draw attention to itself?

Edited by bison

Quite remarkable. Of course individuals have been reporting for years that flying saucers or their occupants have responded to various lights and gestures, but that the military establishment of a prominent nation was doing the same is something new.

Surprising that this was admitted, and the the military took the matter seriously enough to go to the trouble to fly many aircraft and move much equipment around to provoke flying saucer appearances.

Of the three conclusions offered, natural phenomena, foreign surveillance devices, and extraterrestrial craft, the last sounds the most reasonable. Since when do natural phenomena respond to hand gestures? And why would surveillance equipment from a foreign nation on Earth have a bright light on it, so as to draw attention to itself?

indeed.

In addition plasma has been found to respond to lasers (even if one of those reported responses came a week later) but lets give plasma that one...that doesnt go anywhere near in explaining the copying of hand gestures......

indeed.

In addition plasma has been found to respond to lasers (even if one of those reported responses came a week later) but lets give plasma that one...that doesnt go anywhere near in explaining the copying of hand gestures......

I think that a little more information should be gathered (if able) to see if this example holds up and if it was more than coincidence. If it only happened once I'm not sure anything meaningful could be extracted from it.

Edited by Slave2Fate

I think that a little more information should be gathered (if able) to see if this example holds up and if it was more than coincidence.

agreed. I did open with 'if that did happen' to try and say how I think it is remarkable and in no way a reflection of 'our' intelligence as suggested by the poster I responded to.

gathering that information (accurately) is quite some task me thinks.

• Like 1

You know, I would like to take everything I read/see at face value, but I can't. The internet has proliferated so many hoaxes, that it is almost impossible to distinguish fantasy from reality. I have stated before that anyone can make any claim they(in this case the former KGB agent)want, but, without tangible evidence to back it up(said claims), well it's just talk, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 1

Without declassification, all we have is another retired agent saying UFOs are real and there's proof.

Edited by paperdyer
  • Like 1

Where did they go then? It is just a little odd that from 1940-1980 or so there were UFO's everywhere and now there seems to be nothing (virtually speaking). Doesn't make any sense. Also regarding the bright object. I realize this was Soviet Russia but not a single photograph? The thing was around for HOURS??

Once again, there are likely more than 6 BILLION active cell phone subscriptions in the world. Even the cheapest cameras typically have megapixel+ abilities. Many can shoot HD video. All that and there seems to be a noticeable vacuum of any new photographic evidence.

Yes it can be easy to fake UFO's with computers these days but that cannot be the reason there are virtually no new earth shattering images like the ones from the 40's-70's.

Also regarding signally the aliens. Of course the reports would zoom to 100% if you are moving hardware and jets all over the place. Again, nothing but some guy telling us this happened. Need more concrete evidence, not stories.

This different link also includes the 'comments', including one of mine.

Former KGB agent reveals Soviet UFO studies

April 12, 2013 Svetlana Smetanina, RBTH

http://rbth.ru/science_and_tech/2013/04/12/former_kgb_agent_reveals_soviet_ufo_studies_24927.html

How would a new person determine what the prosaic explanation for the 1978 'Petrozavodsk phenomenon' really was, using the Internet? This article's author clearly had no interest in genuinely informing her target audience about it.

Ditto the notorious 'Zigel files' so gullibly worshipped by many Western ufologists to this day. How many of them, do you suppose, turned out to be misperceived sightings of Soviet military missile and space events? Once the Kremlin realized that MOST of them were actually that, no wonder they clamped down on domestic publication of the data that unintentionally was so helpful to CIA and Pentagon military intelligence analysts.

What a joke -- writing such a story, and then you [not ALL, but mostly] falling for it, decades after the real story has been out -- and accepted by serious ufologists. Congrats on the occasional expressions of cynical caution -- well deserved.

Some of you guys need to get out in the real world more.

• Like 2

Where did they go then? It is just a little odd that from 1940-1980 or so there were UFO's everywhere and now there seems to be nothing (virtually speaking). Doesn't make any sense. Also regarding the bright object. I realize this was Soviet Russia but not a single photograph? The thing was around for HOURS??

why not? if we studied the rain forest for 40 years then found out all we wanted to know, would the monkeys say 'hey why all those visits from these humanz and then suddenly none.... not a single photograph? you mean you havent seen a photograph....that doesnt equal there isnt/wasnt any.

Once again, there are likely more than 6 BILLION active cell phone subscriptions in the world. Even the cheapest cameras typically have megapixel+ abilities. Many can shoot HD video. All that and there seems to be a noticeable vacuum of any new photographic evidence.

maybe because they are not as frequent as past years? maybe only around 2 billion of the 6billion have cameras? maybe the ufos only show for such a short length of time fiddling to get a phone out and capture it just doesnt happen......lastly a camera phone with footage of a light in the sky equals evidence does it?

Yes it can be easy to fake UFO's with computers these days but that cannot be the reason there are virtually no new earth shattering images like the ones from the 40's-70's.

so you have seen earth shattering images from the 1940-70s then?

Also regarding signally the aliens. Of course the reports would zoom to 100% if you are moving hardware and jets all over the place. Again, nothing but some guy telling us this happened. Need more concrete evidence, not stories.

concrete evidence like grainy wobbly camera phone footage?

• Like 1

Well, at least they didn't give it "the finger" :passifier:

• Like 1

Declassification could provide insight regarding military ventures. But, regarding human observations, they are largely subjective lacking adequate methods and measures. Rigor in research requires a robust methodology and adequate documentation to allow for reliability and validity to be demonstrated. Reliability suggests the results may be replicated given the methodology. And, validity suggests the results are indeed reasonable and appropriate, given the tools of measurement, for the construct in question. Unfortunately, I see little defined rigor in UFO research.

• Like 1

...What a joke -- writing such a story, and then you [not ALL, but mostly] falling for it, decades after the real story has been out -- and accepted by serious ufologists. Congrats on the occasional expressions of cynical caution -- well deserved.

Some of you guys need to get out in the real world more.

Hey Jim, not everyone is as aware of the Russian state of affairs regarding UFO's as your good self. I'm sure you are aware that learning is a continual process and most often personal inquiry into these matters is often a work in progress. Some of us simply aren't up to speed on some of this however with the information being given on this board and discussion of such information we (some of us, at any rate) are getting there. :tu:

• Like 1

Edited by Sakari

Hey Jim, not everyone is as aware of the Russian state of affairs regarding UFO's as your good self. I'm sure you are aware that learning is a continual process and most often personal inquiry into these matters is often a work in progress. Some of us simply aren't up to speed on some of this however with the information being given on this board and discussion of such information we (some of us, at any rate) are getting there. :tu:

The bigger issue is this -- how can we use the vast resources of the Internet and its search engines to check out ANY claims of this sort for 'contrarian' views and assessments? I'm still struggling to develop -- heck, to even DEFINE -- an algorithm that we all can use to rein in the torrent of multiply-echoed myths that search engines deliver. It's not just me and my own work, it's the thousands of others who have contributed unique insights to controversial topics that will NEVER be seen by search engines which only rate by mass appeal.

Any suggestions?

I mentioned before months back about Soviet UFO being conveniently seen, though not in all cases, close to "secret" bases concerned with aeronautics of various types. Most famously at Voronezh, with closed airforce base just across the road, literally, from the Tupolev factory the produced Konkordski, and other "stuff". And UFO reports, including a few photos (which I do not have to hand) from the Tver area, which by strange co-incidence housed a closed airforce base that conducted research into anti-aircraft equipment and some odd sort of drone........

How can I take this seriously when they quote the joke of the Russian Prime Minister D. Medvedev as true fact, and it was obviously a joke.... :td:

why not? if we studied the rain forest for 40 years then found out all we wanted to know, would the monkeys say 'hey why all those visits from these humanz and then suddenly none.... not a single photograph? you mean you havent seen a photograph....that doesnt equal there isnt/wasnt any.

maybe because they are not as frequent as past years? maybe only around 2 billion of the 6billion have cameras? maybe the ufos only show for such a short length of time fiddling to get a phone out and capture it just doesnt happen......lastly a camera phone with footage of a light in the sky equals evidence does it?

so you have seen earth shattering images from the 1940-70s then?

concrete evidence like grainy wobbly camera phone footage?

The earth shattering images line was a bit tongue in cheek. It seems as we gain the ability to capture life in real time the alien/UFO phenomena has become rarer. Why were there so many photographs back in the day when film cameras were more fiddly than even my super cheapo cell. Hit one button and that is all?

The idea that as our personal access to capture picutres and video has advanced and it just so happens that the aliens/ufos have buggered off is silly and sounds like a convenient excuse to me.

JMO.

How can I take this seriously when they quote the joke of the Russian Prime Minister D. Medvedev as true fact, and it was obviously a joke.... :td:

Worse is the lack of knowledge of Russian media. Medvedev gave that quote to REN TV, and everybody knows that TV station is a complete joke. Medvedev knows this and was simply playing to the REN TV audience. All irony and tounge in cheek........

its good to know that some countries actually took the UFO sightings seriously and honest too.this is good news to me and many people.believers,serious researchers and open minded people alike i am here to also send a message as well lets focus on the research,finding evidence and proof on UFOs and E.Ts lets ignore and forget the skeptics and etc the only thing that they are good at is delaying us and research by giving them the attention and slowing us down.we must unite and all help each other lets put our ego aside for a moment and instead focus on the research and study.and above all lets be honest and clear with the public and results please and thanks.but other nations do take these events and etc seriously not like the U.S.A i wonder why???and by the way i am being sarcastic

The bigger issue is this -- how can we use the vast resources of the Internet and its search engines to check out ANY claims of this sort for 'contrarian' views and assessments? I'm still struggling to develop -- heck, to even DEFINE -- an algorithm that we all can use to rein in the torrent of multiply-echoed myths that search engines deliver. It's not just me and my own work, it's the thousands of others who have contributed unique insights to controversial topics that will NEVER be seen by search engines which only rate by mass appeal.

Any suggestions?

Heck Jim, if I had an answer to that I'd probably turn that information toward something a little more lucrative than discussing the paranormal! ^_^

Unfortunately I think this is the best that can be offered at the moment, believers and skeptics hashing out the details in a public forum, each bringing their own bit of insight and information to the fray. I think there are certain benefits to be had in such a venue in my opinion.

I understand and echo the frustration over the seemingly countless sites that simply provide outdated woo woo garbage without including more recent or overlooked information to balance the credibility of said site however to combat that would involve more than just a search string in a browser, truth be told. I wish I did have an answer for that little conundrum. :tu:

its good to know that some countries actually took the UFO sightings seriously and honest too.this is good news to me and many people.believers,serious researchers and open minded people alike i am here to also send a message as well lets focus on the research,finding evidence and proof on UFOs and E.Ts lets ignore and forget the skeptics and etc the only thing that they are good at is delaying us and research by giving them the attention and slowing us down.we must unite and all help each other lets put our ego aside for a moment and instead focus on the research and study.and above all lets be honest and clear with the public and results please and thanks.but other nations do take these events and etc seriously not like the U.S.A i wonder why???and by the way i am being sarcastic

AS, what you find 'good to know' is a delusion. Zigel's mid-1960s officially allowed reporting on Soviet UFO reports were suddenly terminated in early 1968 when it became clear they were NOT real 'UFOs', but detailed technical descriptions of Soviet military missile and space weapons exercises, imaginatively misperceived [but still containing useful intelligence data for Western analysts]. Rockets from Plesetsk and Kapustin Yar and Baykonur, from White Sea submarines, from orbiting rockets thrusting over the Crimea, and especially in 1967-8 the treaty-banned thermonuclear warhead entry tests [that created crescent-shaped clouds soaring across the skies of Ukraine and the Volga and Caucasus] were behind practically ALL the most spectacular sightings. In later years, you can presume the Moscow government maintained a disinformation program to label any similar reports as 'flying saucers' so as to lower the attention level the stories would get from Western intelligence agencies. Too bad nobody in Western ufology ever caught on, either. Any 'serious' study by science panels would have been charades to deflect attention from what most of the reports really were caused by -- top secret military aerospace activity. THAT was the 'Moscow coverup', not any 'TRUE UFO' secrets, as I see it. .

• Like 1

does Russia still look into UFO reports though?i hope they do as well as any other nation if the united states won't someone else has to.mainstream science should look into this as well.i mean what are you afraid of?