Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Applicants wanted for one-way ticket to Mars.

keithisco

I really wish I had never heard of Mars-One, I keep wasting far too much time looking at he application videos, it's addictive, they're hilarious!

So many dead pan faces describing their great sense of humour. The only thing missing is the ho-ho-ho. Now that would be funny, almost as funny as the Mars-One presentation to the Interplanetary Society.

One of the Mars-One panelists said the Martian colonists would have to leave their initial Mars-One provided inflatable, yes inflatable, habitat and build their own permanent individual habitats with local materials. Local materials? From the local Martian hardware store no doubt? Oh no, they would be able to make their own bricks and concrete, and steel, and glass from the Martian soil. I think this should have been announced on April 1st.

I did read on one site that the colonists were expected to "go out and farm the Martian soil" to grow their vegetables, not possible due to -140C temperatures and radiation. But I think the Mars-One panelists said all food would have to be grown inside, thank goodness that wasn't a shock to them or the inflatable habitat would be orders of magnitude too small. Being an inflatable habitat they are going to have to be very careful with sharp objects, and be very mindful of what they have protruding from any pockets, I can almost hear that slowly deflating balloon noise as I'm typing this.

The Mars-One panelist said they would be able to fit large screens on the walls and ceiling to show the external views, so it would be like looking through transparent glass windows. Presumably they can't have glass windows as they would also be transparent to the ever-present radiation. Cameras on the outside would provide the view on the big screens just as they would see through a transparent window. They would probably have to make these large screens using "local materials". Oh yeah, piece of cake. I'll just chow down on my 40th lettuce this week and pop outside, dig up some Martian soil that's frozen solid at -140C, with a shovel, whilst wearing a space suit, seperate it into its individual elemental components using an elemental seperator that I constructed earlier... out of local materials, and hopefully I'll find some silicon in there somewhere, knock out a few silicon chips, a gigantic LCD screen and some speakers... and have them all installed in less than one blinking jiffy. I thought this colonizing business was going to be some kind of challenge, but it's insulting my intelligence, it's a doddle.

It still seems that none of the potential astronauts are smart enough to provide Mars-One with the sort of application they're looking for. Mind you, if they were smart they wouldn't be applying... would they. Most are still listing outdoor pursuits as their interests and not one has said they have empathy, an obvious key-word the Mars-One team are looking for.

Actually I take back my comment about wishing I had never heard of Mars-One, I'm very glad I've heard of it, I haven't laughed as much in years.

So basically we should never explore anything beyond this planet and we should just stay here for ever more and never have any curiousity about what might be beyond this planet, because it wouldn't be safe and people might go mad, then? We should just stay here for ever, because that's safe, and we dare not take any kind of chance these days?

So basically we should never explore anything beyond this planet and we should just stay here for ever more and never have any curiousity about what might be beyond this planet, because it wouldn't be safe and people might go mad, then? We should just stay here for ever, because that's safe, and we dare not take any kind of chance these days?

No, not at all, I'm all for realistic space exploration, this just isn't realistic. There are some gaping holes in the technicalities of what they have in mind, if it ever did get off the ground it would be suicide.

Take a look at Marsonefans.com. There's a thread called "Criticism of the Mars-One project". It's worth a look, there are many concerns. You can see my posts from about page 12 which will give you some idea of why I think it's unrealistic... if you're at all interested.

Mars one will Happen ! Sooner or Later ! :tu: Who gives a Rats *** if its a death sentence ! Its Exploration at the Best ! :innocent:

Who gives a Rats *** if its a death sentence !

[sarcasm]It's good to see you have such a high regard for human life.[/sarcasm]

You should be utterly ashamed of yourself for that comment, it is a totally disgusting thing to say.

Exploration has to be risky, sometimes it leads to death. Explorers are heroic because they put their lives on the line for the greater good.

But to not care whether the explorers die is to show a disregard for human life that borders on the psychopathic.

I just hope that the people at Mars One do not share your attitude.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

I have to ask..... how do we learn something if everyone who can teach us dies before they can send the information back.

By continually sending the information they are gathering back via radio transmissions while they are alive.

If man was meant to fly he would have wings. How many died to bring about flight. The wright brothers weren't te only ones working on powered flight. They were only the first ones who got in to the air with out dieing.

If man was meant to fly he would have wings. How many died to bring about flight. The wright brothers weren't te only ones working on powered flight. They were only the first ones who got in to the air with out dieing.

"If you wanna make an omelet, you gotta break some eggs." - Tyler Durden

This is a fantastic idea. Instead of waiting for the government funded space agencies to take the initiative, (which is unlikely to happen given the global economic turmoil,) these private companies have pulled together to make something happen. Something that needs to happen. Everyone has a different idea for how the world will end, but most seem to agree that we can't continue on the path we're on - both politically and environmentally.

Eventually, we're going to be overpopulated.

Eventually, we're going to run out of resources.

Eventually, we're going to have to move on from Earth.

:w00t: sorry but this creased me up, at a max altitude of barely 20 feet and a first flight that lasted 12 seconds, over the water, I dont think they were in any grave danger at all to be honest! Or maybe they might have got a bit wet as a worst outcome

The trip to mars tho? Never been done before. And while its an interesting concept, they will die on Mars. And maybe after not very long too. Its all well and good to be enthusiastic about it, but the reality is, its totally inhospitable to life, totally freezing all the time. And to spend your life in a little pod, for as long as you live?

Id rather do it NASA's way, more exploration, then a two way flight for any explorers, like with the moon trips

[sarcasm]It's good to see you have such a high regard for human life.[/sarcasm]

You should be utterly ashamed of yourself for that comment, it is a totally disgusting thing to say.

Exploration has to be risky, sometimes it leads to death. Explorers are heroic because they put their lives on the line for the greater good.

But to not care whether the explorers die is to show a disregard for human life that borders on the psychopathic.

I just hope that the people at Mars One do not share your attitude.

Well Waspie Its not a disrespect for Life Its a Respect for the Ones that chose to Go and there right knowing they will die there. Not A lack of respect from me. I know they will die there, you know too. Its there choice . That shows the strongest Heart to explore. There will be many,many more that some day will venture out . Many will Die !

Remember our past It applies to our future also. Exploration is very dangerous.

So I will change Rats ass to Good Luck future explorers and people . Its really going to be Something watching you on the Tube ! Sorry Waspie I was still on Smack talk mode from the People in the C.T thread about Boston,and Sandy Hook ! Those nasty`s :tu:

• Like 1

:w00t: sorry but this creased me up, at a max altitude of barely 20 feet and a first flight that lasted 12 seconds, over the water, I dont think they were in any grave danger at all to be honest! Or maybe they might have got a bit wet as a worst outcome

The trip to mars tho? Never been done before. And while its an interesting concept, they will die on Mars. And maybe after not very long too. Its all well and good to be enthusiastic about it, but the reality is, its totally inhospitable to life, totally freezing all the time. And to spend your life in a little pod, for as long as you live?

Id rather do it NASA's way, more exploration, then a two way flight for any explorers, like with the moon trips

They crashed and destroyed their flyer on the third flight that day.

They crashed and destroyed their flyer on the third flight that day.

Really? Got a link to that info? Did anyone die then?

Really? Got a link to that info? Did anyone die then?

I was wrog they didn't crash. But the wind did come up after their fourth flight and destroyed the flyer.

But they flew 120 feet above the ground for 12 seconds.

http://history1900s.about.com/a/firstflight/a/wright-brothers.htm

I was wrog they didn't crash. But the wind did come up after their fourth flight and destroyed the flyer.

But they flew 120 feet above the ground for 12 seconds.

http://history1900s....ht-brothers.htm

Great link thanks. But Im not so keen on reading a page about the History of the Swastika (?)

Edited by seeder

• 2 weeks later...

we are not as free as you imagine either, but thats for another part of the forum! So it only costs 6 billion. Only...

If I was ever to go into space Id want to do it under NASA or the Russians, you know people/organizations that are professionals at this sort of thing. I certainly wouldn't want to go from a 'private company' with little or no experience in space travel.

Besides they are talking of sending a rover first to explore suitable locations... (and I thought they had it mapped already!)

Its a romantic idea for some, first people on Mars and all that, easy to make a snap decision, I think the reality of never coming back to Earth again tho, will make for some last minute doubts, and again from the article:

"Love has recently returned from Antarctica which he says is a "picnic compared to Mars".

"It's full of water, you can go outside and breathe the air. It's paradise compared to Mars and yet nobody has moved there permanently."

Sure, because there have been 0 casualties to date from either of these organizations... Safer, maybe, but if people are willing to sacrifice themselves to do this, why do you care? You can sit home and watch on TV

Exactly the point "orion" Waspie got all over me for that ! But What the hey ! People die every day,I see no end to that any time in the near or far Future !

Im all for a Mars mission ! As Long as theres a good link ,cam`s and audio ! It will Rock the Air waves !

Like I said before,NASA wants suicidal beings manning their Mars mission.NASA stands for 'Need Another Seven Astronauts'. The last seven astronauts died upon re-entry to earth.They need another seven that are going to live a life on Mars & die when things go wrong.No-one is going to be there to help them.They will be on their own.

Edited by GirlfromOz