Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Marriage Equality' Includes Polygamy'

tapirmusic

"The definition of marriage is plastic. Just like heterosexual marriage is no better or worse than homosexual marriage, marriage between two consenting adults is not inherently more or less “correct” than marriage among three (or four, or six) consenting adults. Though polygamists are a minority—a tiny minority, in fact—freedom has no value unless it extends to even the smallest and most marginalized groups among us. So let’s fight for marriage equality until it extends to every same-sex couple in the United States—and then let’s keep fighting. We’re not done yet."

Hello slippery. Meet slope.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/04/legalize_polygamy_marriage_equality_for_all.html

• Like 2

"The definition of marriage is plastic. Just like heterosexual marriage is no better or worse than homosexual marriage, marriage between two consenting adults is not inherently more or less “correct” than marriage among three (or four, or six) consenting adults. Though polygamists are a minority—a tiny minority, in fact—freedom has no value unless it extends to even the smallest and most marginalized groups among us. So let’s fight for marriage equality until it extends to every same-sex couple in the United States—and then let’s keep fighting. We’re not done yet."

Hello slippery. Meet slope.

http://www.slate.com...ty_for_all.html

I wondered how long it was going to be before someone brought this up. Seems logical to me. Question is: Does my employer have to offer insurance coverage to all my spouses and children? Or would I have to designate one as my "first" (for lack of a better word) spouse and only cover him/her and the children I have with him/her?

• Like 3

The worst punishment for polygamy? More than one Mother-in-law!!!!! s10148.gif

• Like 8

Right and pedophaelia isn't a choice so, like homosexuals, they can't help but have the desires they do...

...where do we draw the line?

• Like 1

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. If everyone involved in the relationship is a consenting adult and knows about the arrangement that what exactly is the big deal?

Edited by shadowhive
  • Like 7

Right and pedophaelia isn't a choice so, like homosexuals, they can't help but have the desires they do...

...where do we draw the line?

Pedophilia is very different in that one party is not a consenting adult. I'd say that's a pretty obvious line that shouldn't be crossed.

Edited by shadowhive
  • Like 5

Ok, so? Let them all get married. Consenting adults. Regarding insurance, increase the premiums per adult added. No big deal.

WHY does this get complicated?

Is anyone forcing you to marry anyone you don't want to?

Call a cop but get out of everyone else's relationships.

Nibs

• Like 6

I'd say that's a pretty obvious line that shouldn't be crossed.

Until recently that's what they used to think about homosexuals.

Ok so what if the young one is consenting? Should we deny them the right to love and marriage? After all there are many cultures where a boy becomes a man before the age of 15, or a girl becomes a wife at age 12

Edited by Dark_Grey

Ok so what if the young one is consenting? Should we deny them the right to love and marriage?

The other important word was ADULT. Legal adult.

You can't enter into a legal contract with a minor.

Nibs

• Like 3

Ok so what if the young one is consenting? Should we deny them the right to love and marriage?

Until recently they said that about interacial couples too.

It's my understanding that a child can't consent to such things (or pretty much anything else for that matter). The child would have to be pretty intelligent to know what it was conenting to and have full understanding of it.

• Like 2

So if they say polygamy is okay, does that mean women can have more than one husband too? Or does this just apply to men?

• Like 4

So if they say polygamy is okay, does that mean women can have more than one husband too? Or does this just apply to men?

Yeah, but why would we want to?

;)

Nibs

• Like 3

Hopefully it would work either way in any combination.

Since the thrust of this is a sideways swipe at homosexual marriage - on what basis is it considered wrong to allow same sex marriage ?

Br Cornelius

I tend to agree here. The key is "consenting adult" (i.e. no pedophilia). There could be 1 wife and many husbands (or vice versa) or 3 husbands and 4 wives, or even consenting homosexuals, etc. I think though that in time (once the shock/novelty has worn off), most people will stay in a monogamous marriage. And polygamy will constitute just a minority (probably for the reason of multiple mother-in-laws). As far as insurance coverage goes, there may need to be some limits as any one company should not have to *cover* the entire group, but with that said, there would be several working members, that there could be some kind of composite coverage between several companies created.

• Like 2

The other important word was ADULT. Legal adult.

You can't enter into a legal contract with a minor.

Nibs

You can get married before 18, at least in Florida, with your parents consent. I used to have a young lady that worked for me. She was married at 15 and got a court order declaring her no longer a minor, so the labor laws applying to minors didn't apply to her (how many hours a day/week she could work, how late she could work on a "school" night, etc.).

• Like 1

does that mean women can have more than one husband too?

See, then you'd have to make a lot more sandwiches. The other way around, you chicks can take turns making just one.

• Like 1

My whole argument here is that on a long enough, liberal enough timeline, eventually anything can become acceptable. Everyone in every niche will fight for equal rights - so how/where do we place immovable boundries?

;)

Nibs

Because one man never seems to be able to achieve the levels of perfection demanded of him by his wife!

• Like 1

;)

Nibs

Well I personally wouldn't, I can't stand the one I got, but usually its men that get to marry more than one spouse, not women. Just wondering if this WAS too happen, would women get to have more than one husband also? Just a thought.

My whole argument here is that on a long enough, liberal enough timeline, eventually anything can become acceptable. Everyone in every niche will fight for equal rights - so how/where do we place immovable boundries?

Why should we place "immovable" boundries? Perceptions change over time, why shouldn't we have the ability to change the laws also? At one time interracial marriages were "wrong", now they are accepted by all but the most ignorant amongst us.

Why should we place "immovable" boundries? Perceptions change over time, why shouldn't we have the ability to change the laws also? At one time interracial marriages were "wrong", now they are accepted by all but the most ignorant amongst us.

Ah so by that logic, pedos will have their time eventually no?

(Don't be spooked by all the pedo talk - it's all for the sake of the discussion!)

My whole argument here is that on a long enough, liberal enough timeline, eventually anything can become acceptable.

I don’t think that is liberal, just common sense. Times change, perceptions change, sensibilities change. Now I might agree that it is liberals who take advantage of it most of the time. Although you do have to consider the possibility of anything becoming acceptable but I don’t see how pedophilia could ever be acceptable. There are physical and mental limitations here. A juvenile is not responsible for their own consent. They are not developed.

Everyone in every niche will fight for equal rights - so how/where do we place immovable boundries?

Shouldn’t everyone fight for equal rights in their niche? Isn’t that what America is all about? As far as relationships go, the consenting adult/juvenile boundary seems to work fine.

• Like 1

Ah so by that logic, pedos will have their time eventually no?

(Don't be spooked by all the pedo talk - it's all for the sake of the discussion!)

Well you could argue that pedophilia has already been considered legal. In the distant past the ages of consent was lower and so what would be termed pedophilia today wasn't as frowned upon as it is now.

For pedophilia to be legal would require a massive social change and I highly doubt such a thing would ever happen. Sure, it could, but the possibility would be remote (and allowing same sex marriage or polygamy would have no baring on it happening whatsoever).

Harm to non-consenting parties is the only reasonable long term boundary. its just a matter of time before we approach it.

Just to clarify - informed consent between people of an age to give consent recognised by the law. It is almost impossible that in a liberal democracy that it will ever allow a 10year old to consent to having sex with a 40 year old.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest