Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman, Behold Thy Son! - John 19:25-27

Ben Masada

WOMAN, BEHOLD THY SON! John 19:25-27.

There stood by the cross of Jesus Mary his mother and Mary Magdalene his wife also known as the disciple whom Jesus loved. Then addressing first to his mother he said: "Woman, behold thy son!" As in, look at the condition he has come to! I am so sorry to have caused you to go through this! Then turning to his wife Mary Magdalene he said: "Behold thy mother!" As in please take care of her. She is your mother-in-law. "And from that hour Mary Magdalene took her to her own home."

Why did the Church replace Mary Magdalene with John? Probably to hide the fact that the disciple whom Jesus loved was Mary Magdalene his wife and not John. Several reasons point to the fact that the disciple whom Jesus loved was indeed Mary Magdalene and not John:

1. John is not identified in this text by name while Mary Magdalene is;

2. John did not have a home of his own. He lived with Peter. Therefore he could not have taken Jesus' mother to his home. (Acts 1:13; 3:1; 4:13);

3. John had deserted Jesus when he was arrested in theGethsemani as all the disciples did the same. (Mark 14:50);

4. John would have infringed the Roman policy not to allow any of the disciples of a crucified to be present at the act of crucifixion but only very close family of the female gender. Hence his mother and his wife.

Ben

• Like 2

Unfortunatley im not at home to check my bible for scriptural accuracies... But from the link you provided it says the disciple to her to HIS own home.... unless your saying Mary Magdelene is now a man as well your accusation makes no sense....

ironically I think there's a gnostic gospel in which the disciples talk about needing to find a way to make Mary Magdalene a man like them so she can get into heaven or something.... gnostic stuff is weird and heretical lol.

WOMAN, BEHOLD THY SON! John 19:25-27.

There stood by the cross of Jesus Mary his mother and Mary Magdalene his wife also known as the disciple whom Jesus loved. Then addressing first to his mother he said: "Woman, behold thy son!" As in, look at the condition he has come to! I am so sorry to have caused you to go through this! Then turning to his wife Mary Magdalene he said: "Behold thy mother!" As in please take care of her. She is your mother-in-law. "And from that hour Mary Magdalene took her to her own home."

Why did the Church replace Mary Magdalene with John? Probably to hide the fact that the disciple whom Jesus loved was Mary Magdalene his wife and not John. Several reasons point to the fact that the disciple whom Jesus loved was indeed Mary Magdalene and not John:

1. John is not identified in this text by name while Mary Magdalene is;

2. John did not have a home of his own. He lived with Peter. Therefore he could not have taken Jesus' mother to his home. (Acts 1:13; 3:1; 4:13);

3. John had deserted Jesus when he was arrested in theGethsemani as all the disciples did the same. (Mark 14:50);

4. John would have infringed the Roman policy not to allow any of the disciples of a crucified to be present at the act of crucifixion but only very close family of the female gender. Hence his mother and his wife.

Ben

Unfortunatley im not at home to check my bible for scriptural accuracies... But from the link you provided it says the disciple to her to HIS own home.... unless your saying Mary Magdelene is now a man as well your accusation makes no sense....

ironically I think there's a gnostic gospel in which the disciples talk about needing to find a way to make Mary Magdalene a man like them so she can get into heaven or something.... gnostic stuff is weird and heretical lol.

There is nothing agnostic about me. I am simply trying to fix a mistake made as a result of forgery interpolated into this text with the unconscious wish to prevent readers to think that Jesus was a married man. So either the writer or the Church years later tried to replace Mary Magdalene with John unware of the evil this would incur toward Jesus' reputation. There was nothing more important in the mind of young Jew in the First Century than to get married and father children. Then Jesus was a Rabbi and a Rabbi could not officiate as a single man. (I Tim.3:2) The attempt to prevent readers to think that Jesus was married bounced back to expose Jesus as a homosexual to hang around three and half years with a group of guys and calling one his beloved one. As you can see it was worse than the simple truth that Mary Magdalene was his wife. Besides, John could not have been at Calvary that day because of the Roman policy that no male disciple of a crucified could be found in the immidiacies of the scene. Then John had run away when Jesus had been arrested. Last but not least, according to Jewish decorum a Jew could never entrust his mother into the care of a male disciple. Since Mary Magdalene was there and she was his mother's daughter-in-law, I deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Ben

Edited by Ben Masada

Jesus wasn't an Official Rabbi, when he spoke his first public teaching in the temple in Nazareth (I could be wrong, once again I post this stuff at work and not at home where my bible is next to me so it's all on memory here) I believe, he was called up to speak by whoever the actual Rabbi was. His followers called him Rabbi because they took his teachings as the truth, his ministry was one where he spoke out doors or other public places, he would teach in synagogues but they weren't his own as he was not an official Rabbi, he was not a part of the order of the Pharisees, if he was there would have been some mention of them attempting to pull rank on him to reign him in since he angered them so much. Jesus was not married, and there's nothing in scripture to suggest he ever was. The only thing people who push this idea have to go on are a few sentences here or there in the gnostic gospels which were deemed not to be true scripture by the early church. And the few lines that are in the gnostic gospels don't even mention mary Magdalene, I think one says something along the line of Jesus always kissing a disciple but it doesn't even mention what disciple or in what context his kisses were. And for a sect deemed to be heretics by the official church, if the big heresy was that they knew Jesus was married, then that revelation would have been made more clear and their scriptures would have simply made mention of Jesus's wife, or Jesus's children, there are NO texts that mention any such thing. The entire idea is a modern day fabrication...

Maybe John or Lazarus was Jesus' gay lover.

See what I mean? That's what comes as a result of hiding the truth that Jesus was a married man. If he was indeed a Jewish man, as far as I am concerned the possibility that he was married is no less than 101% Now, if he was Greek or even like Paul a Hellenistic Jew, then that would be something else.

Ben

Jesus wasn't an Official Rabbi, when he spoke his first public teaching in the temple in Nazareth (I could be wrong, once again I post this stuff at work and not at home where my bible is next to me so it's all on memory here) I believe, he was called up to speak by whoever the actual Rabbi was. His followers called him Rabbi because they took his teachings as the truth, his ministry was one where he spoke out doors or other public places, he would teach in synagogues but they weren't his own as he was not an official Rabbi, he was not a part of the order of the Pharisees, if he was there would have been some mention of them attempting to pull rank on him to reign him in since he angered them so much. Jesus was not married, and there's nothing in scripture to suggest he ever was. The only thing people who push this idea have to go on are a few sentences here or there in the gnostic gospels which were deemed not to be true scripture by the early church. And the few lines that are in the gnostic gospels don't even mention mary Magdalene, I think one says something along the line of Jesus always kissing a disciple but it doesn't even mention what disciple or in what context his kisses were. And for a sect deemed to be heretics by the official church, if the big heresy was that they knew Jesus was married, then that revelation would have been made more clear and their scriptures would have simply made mention of Jesus's wife, or Jesus's children, there are NO texts that mention any such thing. The entire idea is a modern day fabrication...

The Sect of the Pharisees was the most important Jewish Sect in the First Century. A Pharisee would never address one as a Rabbi if he was not one. We have a famous Pharisee in Nicodemus paying homage to Jesus as a Rabbi. (John 3:1,2) If Jesus had not been of the line of the Pharisees these would not have taken their time to try to protect Jesus from being arrested and crucified. (Luke 13:31 and 19:37-40) And for the fact that there is not a straightforward statement that "Jesus was married" is due either to a forgery to erase the content or the commonality of the Jewish custom to be betrothed even as a child since for a Jewish young man there was nothing more impotant than to get married and father children.

Ben

Maybe John or Lazarus was Jesus' gay lover.

This is getting confusing, we got another thread saying he was a woman, actually we even got to the stage that he was the first beared lesbian.

Maybe John or Lazarus were female too and someone wrote a book as one big joke to confuse a mass of people.

It seems to have worked!

No MF, what I am saying is that a forgery was done into the text to replace Mary Magdalene with John. Otherwise Jesus could not be claimed to be one with God. John was not even there. Oh! BTW MF, take a look at this research of mine:

THE WEDDING OF JESUS

Now, please, hold on unto the stones, and no throwing at least until you hear what I have to say. Besides, that's not my final word. I am still researching the matter. I am partially submitting this topic for some second thoughts to make sure it remains no doubt in my mind. Jesus was a Rabbi and here are the proofs: Matthew 23:7; Luke 7:37-39; John 1:38; 3:2; 20:16. In many other instances he was addressed as Master which means the same. The point is that a Rabbi in Israel, then and today, had to be a married man or about to get married. Otherwise, he could not be "ordained" as such.

According to Judaism, after the proper procedure, the Jewish prospect would undergo the ceremonial "mikveh" or immersion in waters and, if not married yet, to take care of that before "ordination." After Jesus' immersion in the Jordan River by Yonathan the Immerser, Jesus was seen during the next two days recruiting his disciples and on his way to Galilee. (John 1:35,43) Then on the third day after his mikveh, the family and friends were celebrating his wedding in Cana with Mary Magdalene. Wait! Put down the stones! I'll explain.

First of all, and according to the custom, usually the mother of the Bride would be in charge of the celebrations, but probably Mary's parents had passed away because she used to live with her sister Martha and brother Lazarus in Bethany. I mean, they used to live with Mary who was the one well-to-do. Martha would pay her room-and-board as a maiden servant, and Lazarus... well, I think he was a loafer boy taking advantage of his rich sister. He was probably a sick man anyway.

Okay, but back to the wedding, Jesus' mother Mary had to do the host job; and she did it quite well, by giving orders around to the servants. Also, according to the custom, the Bridegroom was in charge to provide the guests, especially with the wine, which Jesus, mind you, made sure it was of the best quality. The tale of the miracle was interpolated much later to deviate the probing attention of those who have a mind of their own from finding out what was really going on in Canah.

After Jesus' wedding, you can check for yourselves, all Jesus' come-and-goes were from and to Bethany, the home of Mary Magdalene. It must have been a very spacious and beautiful home since Mary had the means to maintain it. Mind you that she would also take the tab for the expenses of Jesus' group of the Twelve, along with some other women of course who would pitch in from time to time. (Luke 8:2,3)

Whenever Jesus would return from his missionary campains throughout Israel, the address was Bethany. To his wife obviously, although most the time Mary Magdalene would follow Jesus as his beloved disciple; but never like one of the Twelve. The Church later interpolated John as the "beloved disciple" for the same reason to get the mind of the readers away from the thought that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. But it's not helping because the evidences are just too shouting.

Do we have any hint to pick up as evidence for any romantic approach prior or after their wedding? Of course, we do! After Jesus exorcized seven demons from Mary she must have fallen in love with him.(Luke 8:1-3) The expression seven demons means only the struggle Jesus had to go through to extricate Mary from her not-so-reputable business in Magdala. Then, in Bethany - where else? - when Mary was smearing Jesus' body with that expensive pefume, we all know, although we forbid ourselves to think about, that Mary did not just throw that perfume at him from afar. Definitely not! she did smear him almost all over even in terms of massage, so much so that some of the guests thought it to be unbecoming. (Mat. 26:10-13; Luke 7:37-39)

Then, while everyone else would address Jesus as Rabbi, even his friend Nicodemus, (John 3:1,2) Mary would call him "Rabboni," a colloquial term used as an expression of love, especially by a Rabbi's wife. It also means "Master of my suffering," as Rachel named her son Benoni before she died from child birth. (Gen. 35:18) Jesus was the master of Mary's predicament to change her life style.

In another occasion, when Mary went to the tomb area after the crucifixion, and saw the empty tomb, she never suffered more in her life. She wanted to take him away with her. (John 20:15) Then, she was crying without consolation. In the middle of her travails, she saw a man standing by and took him for the Gardener. "Why are you crying?" the man asked. Of course, Jesus knew why, but he wanted to enjoy the answer from his beloved's own lips. Alas! She did not identify him; it was too dark. But then Jesus tried her name the way he used to call her: "Mary...!" It's hard to say it in writing, but Mary melted all down and exclaimed" "Raboni!"

This term "Raboni", or Master of my sufferings, is such a solemn and love-tender expression in Hebrew and Aramaic that only seldom it is used out of the frame of deep love. It was then that she jumped to hug him but Jesus, probably all in bandages, forbade her to cause him any unnecessary pain. He would meet her later at more propitious circumstances. (John 20:17)

Then, after some apparitions to the disciples, Jesus said goodbye and left his company. From then on, the names of these three peoples were never mentioned again; Jesus, Mary Magdalene and Joseph of Arimathea. Jesus yes, but only in connection with his teachings by the Nazarenes, a Jewish Sect organized by his Apostles. Joseph had to go along because if he had stayed, he would probably be crucified for having cheated on Pilate regarding Jesus who was not dead when he was taken off the cross.

Today, there are three speculations about their whereabouts. The first is that they settled down incognito in Talpiot, a small town not too far south of Jerusalem, where some people have claimed to have found out the graves of Yeshua, Miriam and Joseph. I went there personally but just to be told that the area could not be explored or visited by order of the local Meier for being under an Apartment building. The second speculation is that they left Israel in the direction of Cashmere, India, where a Russian Archaeologist had found the graves of Yeshua, Miriam and Joseph under the sign of the shield of David. And the third speculation is the one of the Da Vinci Code, that the three went to Europe and settled down in the Southern part of France in a small village. And that Mary gave birth to a daughter, who eventually got married into the Merovingian nobility.

Whatever happened after Jesus said goodbye to his disciples, I don't endorse anything that has been speculated. My point is only to verify the truth about Jesus' marriage to Mary Magdalene. If that's true without the shadow of a doubt, we have only to be joyful that Jesus fulfilled also the commandment to get married and father children. Besides, a married man only adds to his honour for being so. Why deny Jesus the pleasure of being a man by experiencing the love of a woman? Obvious, don't you think so?

Okay, now you can throw the stones. Nu! I am ready! Hello! Where is everybody? Hellooo! Well, I guess they all left. They must have got the idea that they all have feelings too.

Ben