Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
King Ircher

Wikipedia

Wiki Poll   24 members have voted

1. 1. Scale 1 to 10, how would you rate it?

• Horrible - 1
    • Terrible - 2
    • Very Bad - 3
    • Poor - 4
    • Fair - 5
    • Okay - 6
    • Somewhat Great - 7
    • Very Good - 8
    • Awesome - 9
    • One of the Best Websites - 10
  2. 2. How many wikis you've created?

• None:0
    • Few:1-5
    • Fair Amount:6-15
    • Many:16-30
    • Several:31+

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 posts in this topic

Welcome, lets discuss the site Wikipedia (wikia). First, fill out the poll; then reply.

Looking forward to it!!!

How its rated may depend on subject, but I've used it for lots of different subject matter and I have no complaints.

Wikipedia and google got me through highschool. Here I am graduated and studying business. I aint' complaining.

i voted a 7/10 its good for the most part i have had to go and edit a few pages with wrong information, but hey, its right now so i cant complain.

I've used it for information in the past until I came across the dark side of wikipedia. This is where corporate companies edit information about themselves or other entries for their own agenda. Also media editors do it as well.

Seen it happen a lot and now I only use it for certain types of information. I do not fully trust everything on wikipedia.

Since pretty much anyone can edit each article, I've rated a 6. Sure most pages are up to par and give great detail on a subject as well as references to where they got the information but since it can be easily edited the information may or may not be correct. This is why when I was in high school the teachers didn't want us to use Wikipedia as a resource if we were working on a paper. I really think they should allow only people who sign up to edit the wiki, but then people would probably find that to be unfair... :\

Wiki was better about ten years ago, when it had detailed pages on every character in the Mario video games and didn't skimp on any information. These days Wiki articles aren't particularly in depth and serve only as an introduction rather than a compendium of information.

The over-all idea behind Wikipedia isn't a bad one, as it's nice to pool knowledge, but that same idea is based on the premise that people are honest and we just ain't.

I still use Wikipedia as a launching site for information. I typically read what's there and then scroll down to the references and follow all the links that I can to see what they say about the subject.

While I haven't created any wikis, I have edited a few. Think the last one was about an area in England that is a moor (land area) and there was a link to Moors (the people) so I edited to reflect the correct link. I've also removed reference links that were bad.

Wiki is great for an instant source of information. But it also can be quite subjective with that information and its sources too.

1 person likes this