Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stonehenge was occupied by humans 5,000 years

Commander CMG

Human beings were occupying Stonehenge thousands of years earlier than previously thought, according to archaeologists.

Research at a site around a mile from Stonehenge has found evidence of a settlement dating back to 7500BC, 5,000 years earlier than previous findings confirmed.

And carbon-dating of material at the site has revealed continuous occupation of the area between 7500BC and 4700BC, it is being revealed on BBC One's The Flying Archaeologist tonight.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 3

If you think about it, it does make sense... Why would they build something like that in some location where they've never been before?... It makes perfect sense for them to have lived there for a long time and considered the site 'sacred' or special in some other way, and then build it... Plus they would have needed a certain amount of infrastructure to achieve what they did...

Good article, thanks for posting xsas...

I was reading this one article a month or so ago that said it was a burial site for the stone age elite.

i get what the are saying but what or how does this help us?like for example like secrets or what?its good to know but what's the big deal.i am not trying to sound pessimistic or negative in anyway i am just trying to connect the pieces though that's all.

So since we are pusing the date back does this mean that another, earlier group of people actually constructed this henge? Or are we going with a continious line of the same community?

Any further explanation on why Stonehenge was first aligned with the movement of the Moon then later reconfigured to be in alignment with the Sun?

The shift from earlier Celtic moon worshipers to the more Germanic sun worshippers is quite interesting to me and I am always seeking information especially if from academic sources and not so much from fringe ones.

If my initial belief is unfounded in scholarship then I want to be aware of that.

That this group of field researchers followed the water source is admirable and causes me to imagine early dogs lapping the water as their loving human masters stood by before taking some for themselves.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!

So since we are pusing the date back does this mean that another, earlier group of people actually constructed this henge? Or are we going with a continious line of the same community?

Any further explanation on why Stonehenge was first aligned with the movement of the Moon then later reconfigured to be in alignment with the Sun?

The shift from earlier Celtic moon worshipers to the more Germanic sun worshippers is quite interesting to me and I am always seeking information especially if from academic sources and not so much from fringe ones.

If my initial belief is unfounded in scholarship then I want to be aware of that.

That this group of field researchers followed the water source is admirable and causes me to imagine early dogs lapping the water as their loving human masters stood by before taking some for themselves.

http://www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk/englandstonehenge.htm

try this site britney, it's pretty much up-to-date with its info.

stonehenge was built thousands of years before the celts arrived though, and had already been abandoned by the time they got here.

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 3