Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
ava1enzue1a

Are these concepts similar to each other?

4 posts in this topic

I don't know who quoted this or what the source is but there is a saying that goes:

Nothing matters. Since nothing matters, it doesn't matter that nothing matters and there's no reason to be sad about it. Unless you want to. But you could also be happy about it if you wanted to.

Would anyone compare it to this paradoxical concept described at animalfreedom.org:

Life has no meaning.

This conclusion may be depressing, you can also regard it as a basis for a very positive follow-up: you can give your life any meaning you want; it's your own choice, it's your own responsibility. You may make mistakes, but the only one you can blame is yourself. Meaninglessness as a possibility for assigning meaning is the paradox.

Are they similar, saying basically the same thing? Why or why not.

Last question, could these quotes be applied to the Nihilistic philosophy?

Thanks for anyone's feedback.

It seems obvious that these quotes can be interpreted as being nihilistic. and yes they are basically saying the same thing because they both conclude that meaning is defined by the seeker.

Seeker-defined meaning is not really meaning, but just an illusion of meaning. My mom was an ardent gardener, and her yard was the delight and envy of all the neighbors, and she said this gave her life meaning. The year after she died the new owners couldn't care less and let it all die.

Some of us put our meaning in our children, and then in their children. I've realized after going through all that that it is just nature's trick to get us to procreate.

In the end the world dissolves and even Shakespeare and the Buddha are forgotten.

The point is that it is pointless to try to find meaning; just forget about it and live in the day. Believe me, you won't be unhappy.

1 person likes this

If "seeker-defined meaning is not really meaning", then what exactly is meaning? We can call it an illusion all we want, but unfortunately we cannot step outside of this so-called illusion because nearly everything we know is derived from our perception

Nothing matters. Since nothing matters, it doesn't matter that nothing matters and there's no reason to be sad about it. Unless you want to. But you could also be happy about it if you wanted to.

This reminds me of something I was told some time ago about shifting distress into eustress; every situation can be viewed in a positive light, even stressful situations such as struggling to maintain positive finances. Even something as simple and basic as making finding solutions to problems as a game (viewing and treating them as games) may alleviate some of the negativity.