Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Activists claim Arkansas oil spill diverted

Princess Serenity

Activists with the group Tar Sands Blockade published new videos on Sunday showing oil from the Arkansas pipeline rupture purportedly diverted from a residential neighborhood into a wetland area to keep it out sight and, most importantly, out of the media.

While it’s not clear if the oil was intentionally moved into the wetland, the company says it is cleaning pavement with power washing devices, which could cause some of the oil to be pushed off neighborhood streets and into other areas.

Activists

who claimed the oil has continued “flowing” into Lake Conway since the spill happened.

Article.

--

The heck Exxon?

• Like 1

Activists with the group Tar Sands Blockade published new videos on Sunday showing oil from the Arkansas pipeline rupture purportedly diverted from a residential neighborhood into a wetland area to keep it out sight and, most importantly, out of the media.

While it’s not clear if the oil was intentionally moved into the wetland, the company says it is cleaning pavement with power washing devices, which could cause some of the oil to be pushed off neighborhood streets and into other areas.

Activists

who claimed the oil has continued “flowing” into Lake Conway since the spill happened.

Article.

--

The heck Exxon?

thanks. there seems to be very little media attention on this disaster.

Your welcome. I just saw this on tumblr and decided to post it here. This does deserve attention!

Princess, how many oil spill responses have you participated in? How many thousands of contractors have you supervised while doing cleanups on land and on the water?

i did it for an entire career.

Oil on water - especially very cold water - is very easily cleaned. Oil in wetlands - especially freshwater wetlands - is easy to clean up - and the wetlands return to their natural state with little effort on the part of humans.

Would you rather have oil slowly seeping into the soil around your home, or being skimmed off of a waterway nearby?

Sorry, but after a career of being involved in stuff like this, clueless activists bother me with their half-baked accusations that aren't based upon anything more than emotion.

• Like 4

Princess, how many oil spill responses have you participated in? How many thousands of contractors have you supervised while doing cleanups on land and on the water?

Oil on water - especially very cold water - is very easily cleaned. Oil in wetlands - especially freshwater wetlands - is easy to clean up - and the wetlands return to their natural state with little effort on the part of humans.

Would you rather have oil slowly seeping into the soil around your home, or being skimmed off of a waterway nearby?

Sorry, but after a career of being involved in stuff like this, clueless activists bother me with their half-baked accusations that aren't based upon anything more than emotion.

Regardless of how 'easy' it is to clean up... it should have never happened in the first place. :whistle:

Regardless of how 'easy' it is to clean up... it should have never happened in the first place. :whistle:

Can't that be said for pretty much everything?

If you could come up with a 100% foolproof anything, you'd be a very rich man.

• Like 2

Utopia is never an option.

Nor is distopia inevitable.

• Like 1

could you expand on the bold.faced part please? How easy is it? And what length of time does it take for the wetlands to restore to their original state? One other question, is there a difference between a waterway and a wetland? My understanding is that a wetland is more like a swamp with a lot of vegetation and animal life so I don´t really see it as just just skimming oil off the top of the water. Your expertise in this area is appreciated.

If I had the choice beforehand, i´m sure I´d choose the former. However in this case, the area around your home has already had a lot of oil seep into the soil. Is expanding the contaminated area by diverting it to areas that were not effected really the best option?

And realistically, when do you see these people being able to move back into their homes? Thanks

Edited by jugoso

And of course there's that "with very little effort from humans" bit.

Which implies someone taking the effort to clean it up rasther then cover it up.

I was hoping you would respond to my previous post to help me understand your position a little better. You haven´t as of yet. I am sure you are aware that it was dilbit that was spilt in Mayflower, so I need to call BS on you.

Dilbit presents a unique challenge to clean up crews when efforts to transport it go pear-shaped. Unlike conventional oil, which floats to the surface when excreted into a body of water, dilbit is a peanut butter-like substance that sinks. It’s like a high maintenance partner - stubborn, clingy, and around long after you’re desperate to be left alone. A 2010 dilbit spill in the Kalamazoo River near Marshall, Michigan, for example, is taking years, not months, to clean andmight have irreparably harmed the locals

http://www.washingto...sas_o044157.php

I should think an experienced professional as you claim to be would know this. So can you explain to me again the value and reasoning of diverting the oil to the wetlands?

Edited by jugoso
  • Like 1

I was hoping you would respond to my previous post to help me understand your position a little better. You haven´t as of yet. I am sure you are aware that it was dilbit that was spilt in Mayflower, so I need to call BS on you.

http://www.washingto...sas_o044157.php

I should think an experienced professional as you claim to be would know this. So can you explain to me again the value and reasoning of diverting the oil to the wetlands?

I could: They hope that what we won't see won't hurt us (If I may interject).

I could: They hope that what we won't see won't hurt us (If I may interject).

Haven´t seen you around the forum for a while. Welcome back! I would tend to agree with you but I´´m just a "clueless activist"

• Like 1

Haven´t seen you around the forum for a while. Welcome back! I would tend to agree with you but I´´m just a "clueless activist"

Oh well, I am just the overall ignoramus who really beleives that what I can't see can't hurt me :devil: