Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists sequence the coelacanth genome

Saru

Referred to as a 'living fossil', the coelacanth has barely changed at all in over 300 million years.

The genetic secrets of a "living fossil" have been revealed by scientists. Researchers sequenced the genome of the coelacanth: a deep-sea fish that closely resembles its ancestors, which lived at least 300 million years ago.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Merc14

• shrooma

• MissingAChance

• Timothy

I would bet that there are many other "Living Fossils" in the midnight and abyssal zones.

there's certainly more than a few living fossils in the pubs round our town.....

:-)

• Like 2

it looks pretty beast too but that's pretty cool though.i would love to have one of these fishes in my house.but that's pretty amazing that it never changes i prefer change of course but this fish does not need it to each his own lol ;)

Evolution is a joke.

Care to elaborate?

Haha was your post meant to be a joke, made me laugh!

me too timon!

i usually use humour in my posts, but nothing as hilarious as THAT!!

MaC, you could get a job writing for billy connolly with jokes of that calibre!

a career in hollywood awaits.....

This is one of the many examples of the theory of evolution.It doesn't exist as far as I believe.As one of our regular readers suggested before,"If Man was once ape,then why are there still apes & human beings?" That was well said!

Oh,and I love Billy Connolly too. lol XOXOXO

This is one of the many examples of the theory of evolution.It doesn't exist as far as I believe.As one of our regular readers suggested before,"If Man was once ape,then why are there still apes & human beings?" That was well said!

How does this disprove evolution?

Which has been answered many times.

post-50472-0-06352900-1367187374_thumb.j

An elementary explanation.

PLEASE...not another one.BTW I saw a really cool ( for a 10 year old boy) movie once about a Coelacanth. A scientist was studying the thing in a lab and a dragon fly landed on it for a snack - voila'!! A giant dragon fly enters the picture. the 1960's were a cool time to be a kid :)

it would seem no evolution on this fish took place because it had no need to evolve. Does that sound good?

it would seem no evolution on this fish took place because it had no need to evolve. Does that sound good?

That is what they are theorizing and I am sure there are many more abyss dwellers that have been around in the same form for millions of years.