Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why did Mary Magdalene become the leader?

laver

The bible says that the male disciples left and denied Jesus when the going got rough and it was Mary who took over and directed them back to Galilee to a mountain chosen by Jesus where he gave his instructions and talked about the 'end of time'.(Matthew 28). Why was Mary the first witness and messenger of Christ at this crucial time and did it relate to her name as 'of Magdala' (Migdal) a location next to the most prominent mountain of the area...Mount Arbel? Was Mary part of the message guiding us to this ancient sacred location? and why?

• Like 1

Mary Magdalene has a very important role in directing the disciples to see the fact that

the Master has risen from the dead and will soon meet them again in Galilee. Sometimes

the critical role is not played by the head disciple, or the pope or the senior evangelist, but by one of

the least, even someone perhaps put down as not a first class citizen of the

kingdom.

• Like 1

.... first class citizen of the kingdom ....?

I do not have a clue, but have heard the Jewish women can take the reins.

THe Magdalene isn't just 'any' woman to JC

my husband says the same thing about me.

girl-happy-dance-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

Many times when men create wars and bring destruction to all sides it is frequently the women who upon conclusion are the ones who rebuild, take care of who and what needs to be taken care of, and so this is no surprise.

Indeed the females were the ones who stood by Christ's side until his last breath at the crucifixion and it was a female whom Christ first chose to reveal himself too after resurrection.

I would never consider the role that women play in our world as being insignificant and likewise I would not consign them to being "one of the least" by pure virture of their gender.

Women are my equals and co-heirs.

• Like 2

The more we hear the more it becomes clear that this is true... he loved her more than all the others... and discussed with Mary things that he did not discuss with the other followers which caused problems. At the crucial moment, for Christianity, she became the leader and told the others what to do which they did; they went to a mountain in Galilee to a mountain meeting place that had been prearranged by Christ and Mary no doubt. And where was this mountain in Galilee ? at a location that is still associated with Mary, Magdala/Migdal next to Mount Arbel

• Like 1

The more we hear the more it becomes clear that this is true... he loved her more than all the others... and discussed with Mary things that he did not discuss with the other followers which caused problems. At the crucial moment, for Christianity, she became the leader and told the others what to do which they did; they went to a mountain in Galilee to a mountain meeting place that had been prearranged by Christ and Mary no doubt. And where was this mountain in Galilee ? at a location that is still associated with Mary, Magdala/Migdal next to Mount Arbel

There is a thread about Jesus possibly being a women, do you think maybe this is why they were so close because they were both women and hence the reason why they discussed things among themselves instead of with men?

Please note, i do not believe Jesus was a woman, just asking a question. :innocent:

There is a thread about Jesus possibly being a women, do you think maybe this is why they were so close because they were both women and hence the reason why they discussed things among themselves instead of with men?

Please note, i do not believe Jesus was a woman, just asking a question. :innocent:

No I don't think Jesus was a woman but in a partnership with Mary Magdalene and they seem to have had objectives related to much earlier spiritual beliefs . If you look at the accounts of Jesus he was not of his time and hence very unpopular with the Jerusalem hierarchy. The account of Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well near Shechem (John 4 1:42) makes this clear and is worth a read.

Jesus was a Jew, not of the Pharasee but still a Jew. I ponder the mystical symbology of the bride and groom in messiah prophesies.

Jesus and Mary Magdelene

I would guess that that he represents the King or bridegroom on earth. There were several messiahs or annointed prophet or kings of God but the Messiah in the Kingdom to Come involved two, the long suffering one that comes to bring divine mercy and love of his father and the "youth and old man" one at the end of days, The ancient one that comes back to judge the world and makes perfect the Kingdom for the humble, righteous and faithful after the times of judgement when the lion lies down with the calf sort of prophesies.The Holy Sparks of the Soul are redeemed and brought together to what they were before their fall from grace

Jews back then called the femine aspect of God the Shekinah which we call the Holy Spirit.

Every Sabbath celebrates the unity of man with the Shekinah which is represented as being brought down to a man with his wife in a sacred marriage, which in turn brings righteous souls to the world to help rectify the world from evil.

The Shekinah had 3 forms

represented by the Mourning Woman in Black. This is when the Jewish people are in exile but she is with them, she is exposed to evil in the world and is sometimes scorned. (Can be like a divorced rejected woman who becomes vulnerable to prostitution.)

The Dove is considered White and Red (like blood) this is the Holy Spirit that descends into the evil material world with Love and Mercy guidance and forgiveness.

The Bride is White and prepared and she becomes Pure when she is married to the Bridegroom who also becomes King .

It's all more or less describing the Kingdom when the Holy Sparks of the Soul of "Israel" are reunited as One, after their redemption. The World to Come brings the Kingdom to earth which redeems all the world from the evil caused by sins of the body and spirit. We walk with God as Adam and Eve did before their "fall".

When you look at the symbology, it's no mystery to the importance of Mary Magdelene's role in ancient prophesy.

• Like 2

^

That was really beautiful to read.

He got it from the Zohar I believe....

Since someone innocently brought up the question of whether Jesus was a woman (which he isn't!) , it reminded me that in all the unexplained bleeding of Jesus statues, whenever the blood was tested by scientists it was always found to be female blood... Which was odd, but I think it makes sense when you remember that Jesus was born of his Virgin Mother, therefore he only had human female blood/genetics.....

Edited by MasterFlint
  • Like 1

Most theologians will dismiss Mary Magdalene because of traditional dogma taught for years in Christianity. These long standing beliefs have not always been in touch with history nor reality. Even most biblical scholars will tell you it is highly unusual for a man of Jesus' age in that time period to NOT have been married and even have possibly had kids. I think between what the accepted cannon of the Bible implies and the gnostic rejected gospels report, it is highly likely that Mary Magdalene and Jesus were indeed common law husband and wife or actually married. Although that is not the most approved of scenario, it is probably the more realistic one. That would explain why Mary was always near Jesus and why she over the other disciples took over Jesus' ministry.

• Like 1

Most theologians will dismiss Mary Magdalene because of traditional dogma taught for years in Christianity. These long standing beliefs have not always been in touch with history nor reality. Even most biblical scholars will tell you it is highly unusual for a man of Jesus' age in that time period to NOT have been married and even have possibly had kids. I think between what the accepted cannon of the Bible implies and the gnostic rejected gospels report, it is highly likely that Mary Magdalene and Jesus were indeed common law husband and wife or actually married. Although that is not the most approved of scenario, it is probably the more realistic one. That would explain why Mary was always near Jesus and why she over the other disciples took over Jesus' ministry.

There's nothing anywhere, including in the gnostic gospels, that actually points to Jesus being married or having children, only a line or two that has made people wonder, not a single piece of scripture states it or even implies it!

If Jesus was a normal man and not God he probably would have been married, but he wasn't married. I think the latter Doctrine of the Apostle Paul clearly helps illustrate that the early Church KNEW Jesus had not been married, Paul is the first to preach that it is better for a Christian NOT to be married at all!!! Although other parts of the New Testament state that any man of authority in the Church SHOULD be married (and to one woman only) to demonstrate he can run his own household and is trustworthy in running the church/ministry.........I think that if the early Apostles like Paul had known that Jesus (who they believe is God) was married they probably would have mandated that EVERYONE HAD to be married when they came of age in order to be more like Christ. To suggest it be better for one not to be married and give yourself fully to God, when God himself supposedly couldn't go through this world without being married would be ridiculas....

It seems to me that Mary a saved follower, not his wife would have spread Jesus teachings in her own commuitity, but wasnt it Mark, Paul and others discilpes that taveled were the real leaders in spreading Jesus teachings to the world ? The gospel of Mary was not written until a hundred years later and may have just been made up.

http://en.wikipedia..../Gospel_of_Mary

Edited by docyabut2

It seems to me that Mary a saved follower, not his wife would have spread Jesus teachings in her own commuitity, but wasnt it Mark, Paul and others discilpes that taveled were the real leaders in spreading Jesus teachings to the world ? The gospel of Mary was not written until a hundred years later and may have just been made up.

http://en.wikipedia..../Gospel_of_Mary

It is clear from the bible and Gnostic texts that Jesus and Mary had a partnership, whether spiritual or personal or both. It is also clear that this close relationship caused problems and split the disciples but it is Mary who takes the lead role and directs the group to a mountain in Galilee which was clearly part of some master plan. So it begs the questions which mountain did she send them to and why? The obvious candidate is the mountain next to the place she is associated with, Magdala/ Migdal, by the Sea of Galilee, Mount Arbel. If this is part of a message being conveyed by Mary why was this mountain a special location to Jesus and Mary of Magdala? Is there something special about this location which the accounts are trying to lead us to?

The answer to that question is yes there is something special about Mount Arbel and something that Jesus and Mary of Magdala must have been aware of.

Is Mary Magdalene named after Magdala or is Magdala named after Mary Magdalene? We won't have a definitive answer but it is a question worthy of being asked nonetheless.

Bethany is recorded in the New Testament as the home of the siblings Mary, Martha, and Lazarus, as well as that of Simon the Leper. Jesus is reported to have lodged there after his entry into Jerusalem, and it could be from Bethany that he parted from his disciples at the Ascension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethany_(Biblical_village)

Mary Magdalene was Lazarus`s sister Mary of Bethany who Jesus saved from stoneing at the temple of Mount Olives,she was a courtesan of the roman officers of Magdan, that Jesus brought home to untie with her family and became good friends with Lazarus and where Jesus went after the resurection to meet with his disciples and later died.

Bethany has traditionally been identified with the present-day West Bank city of al-Eizariya (Arabic (العيزرية), meaning "Place of Lazarus"), site of the reputed Tomb of Lazarus, located about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the east of Jerusalem on the south-eastern slope of the Mount of Olives.[1]

• Like 2

I don't know that Mary Mag was a leader. Bible doesn't say she was. When she went to the grave site thinking she would anoint the dead body of Jesus, she was with two other women. The next event of Jesus appearing to Mary Mag can be understood by Jesus' statement: ..."Touch Me not for I have not yet ascended to the Father."

Surprised to see Jesus was not dead, a natural reaction would have been to rush and touch Him. Perhaps even joyfully embrace Him.

Why didn't Jesus want her to touch Him? And why had Jesus not already gone to heaven to the Father? He is God. He created worlds and planets in split seconds. What was He waiting for? Why did He need to go to heaven, anyway??????

Jesus was at that point the High Priest taking the blood of the spotless Lamb to the Tabernacle of Testimony and the Mercy Seat in the heavenly tabernacle before Father God. In the Old Testament there was an area with an undefined boundary in which "the women serving who served" stood in front of the door going into the Holy Place from the Court of the Congregation. Their job was was to scrutinize the priests and especially the High Priest as he passed in front of them going into the tabernacle (later Solomon's Temple and Zerubbabel's Temple). If there was any blood stain or blemish found on them, they were to tell the congregation. The priests would lose reputation and control. The door in front of the tabernacle is where truth was always established.

Remember, when the wilderness Israelites questioned Moses being God's choice of their leader? By God coming down and staying at the door of Moses' tabernacle, it proved that Moses was His chosen leader. If God had entered, it would have killed him. So that door is where truth was established and false teachings are revealed and discarded.

Martin Luther said of these women who had made vows to serve God by serving at that door, that the expression "women serving who served" would have a better understanding of what they were doing if it had said something like, women serving who made war.

Priests hated these women. They were not appointed by the priests. It was strictly between the woman and God whether she served. Herod's Temple was the first chance the priests got to get rid of that office. They pushed them to the other end of the Court of the Congregation and put a Middle Wall of Petition between the priests and all women (not just the ones serving who served). That would take care of those mouthy women. To keep them doing busy, busy humanitarian work and keep them out of the priests' hair, they had 13 trumpet shaped vessels for collecting as much money as they could possibly wrest from the congregation and there were rooms for the women to keep up with the wine supplies and care for the lepers, and etc.

Jesus never broke the Law. As High Priest He would have had to walk past at least one woman serving who served. The very act of touching a priest as he was performing his duties would have contaminated him and made him unfit to continue. That's why she was told not by Jesus to not touch Him. Her conclusion? He's alive! He is true! He did arise after the 3rd day and night! He is Good News! There is no contradiction or stain on Him! He is spotless!

And the first thing she did was to go tell the trembling disciples. He is alive!!! He is God!!! He is truth!!! She fulfilled the Law. That's why Jesus waited to appear before her.

Amen

God bless us all is my prayer

Edited by Copen

Is Mary Magdalene named after Magdala or is Magdala named after Mary Magdalene? We won't have a definitive answer but it is a question worthy of being asked nonetheless.

It is a good question. It would appear that the location associated with Mary is Magdala, now Migdal, with the prominent mountain, Mount Arbel next to it. This would then be the mountain in Galilee that Mary directed the disciples to in Matthew 28. There was clearly a mountain meeting place special to Jesus where he gave his Great Commission and talked about the 'end of time'. It would seem that the fishing port at this location then became known as Magdala because of this connection. This meeting place was clearly prearranged by Jesus and Mary must have been aware of this.

Seems to have a number of meanings

Time and place I guess ... we just apply what we know of the times and age of location to what evidence we have at hand.

Time and place I guess ... we just apply what we know of the times and age of location to what evidence we have at hand.

So the fishing port on the sea of Galilee next to Mount Arbel becomes known as Magdala because she sent the disciples there to meet Jesus...