Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush, Kerry blasted for "free lunch" deficit plans

Fluffybunny

I just wanted to see how many of you read this article about both candidates and then said something along the lines of "See I told you that the Kerry plan was all wrong..." or vice versa... rolleyes.gif

WASHINGTON (AFP) - President George W. Bush (news - web sites) and Democratic rival John Kerry (news - web sites) are inviting voters to a "free lunch" before sticking them with a 1.3-trillion-dollar bill, a new analysis says.

The two candidates vastly different fiscal schemes -- Bush's promise of heavy tax cuts and Kerry's vow to boost spending on social programs -- end up costing about the same -- 1.3 trillion dollars, it finds.

Vying for the mantle of fiscal responsibility in the runup to the November 2 elections, both candidates promise they can halve the deficit within five years.

But both plans are incredible, according to an analysis this month by the Concord Coalition, a non-partisan "grassroots" organization, which advocates fiscal responsibility.

"The choice is between large tax cuts that are unaffordable and smaller tax cuts with higher spending that are also unaffordable," the coalition said in a report.

"The bottom line is that neither candidate has produced a credible set of numbers to back up his deficit reduction rhetoric."

According to the coalition, Bush's tax cuts would cost 1.244 trillion dollars and spending another 82 billion dollars, resulting in a total deficit increase of 1.326 billion dollars.

Kerry's tax plans -- including rolling back tax cuts for the rich but extending them for the middle class -- would cost 498 billion dollars while his plan to raise spending plans, especially for health care, would cost another 771 billion dollars, resulting in a total deficit increase of 1.269 trillion dollars.

Bush inherited a 236 billion dollar surplus.

But this fiscal year, ending September 30, he is expected to incur an unprecedented deficit of 415 billion dollars, according to the Congressional Budget Office (news - web sites), a bipartisan advisory office to Congress.

Official figures for the 2004 deficit are due this week.

"Getting control of a ballooning budget deficit requires two things that candidates are loath to discuss -- spending cuts when they would prefer to talk about increases and tax increases when they would prefer to talk about cuts," the Concord Coalition said.

"Yet the American people deserve something more from their candidates than an invitation to a free lunch -- even if that is what they want to hear."

Link

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• Celumnaz

• Fluffybunny

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What would Nadar do?

304872[/snapback]

Not make it onto the ballot in most states apparently...

Either way we are screwed...

Well you did see the front cover of Times Magazine I posted last night right? laugh.gif

Nope I must have missed it...

Well it summed up your statement tongue.gif ... you were just a little more... tact laugh.gif

lol, geez wonder what stance these guys take?

tax cuts are not a cost

the supposed surplus Bush inherited is that 'fuzzy math'

I'm still not voting for either of them. So far still going with my Alan Keys write in. 1st Black President!

Does the colour of his skin actually matter? I mean whether or not he's the first black president shouldn't be an issue over what his politics are

No... I happen to agree with what I've read and seen him say far more than most others out there. I thought he blew all of them away when they let him debate, but they just blinked and ignored him. What's wrong with a black president?

Nothing. I didn't say anything about there being something wrong with a black President. You twisting my words again tongue.gif

Sorry T, it just comes out of me. I know you didn't mean it that way. Have the flu, all medicated and not thinking before I hit that add reply button. Need some friends to tell me 'friends don't let friends forum on drugs'.