Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could Jesus have been female ?

UM-Bot

Dan Green: As a youngster, I was brought up in the United Kingdom and went through the obligatory schooling system that provided religious education classes and so I was bound to come face to face with the male Jesus. More than half the world knows his story, and not an original one at that as it is borrowed, we can say without dispute, from earlier similar saviour stories from around the world, the story of Osiris, Dionysus, Adonis, Attis, and Mithras. Despite him being the major figure in the bible, there is no description of how he looked, and scholars will point out no real record of him in Hebrew or Roman - outside of Christianity's own teachings and assurances about him, he struggles to exist. This has left the gate open for a number of critics to declare the reasons for these puzzling lapses is that, simply, he did not exist, or at least not in a fashion that we have had described us.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article
  • Like 1

If he were, does that mean he would have been a lesbian as he was with Mary Magdalene? who knows!! maybe thats why they crucified him..sorry, her.

• Like 3

The first and most famous bearded lady. Awesome.

Another reason why they could have crucified him her. Lucky to have lasted as long as he she did come to think of it, a bearded lesbian in those times would not have been the envy of every women...or man.

Edited by freetoroam

The message of Jesusa did add a dose of femininity to the Jewish tribal mindset that was very warlike. Of course this is negated by the very masculine Jesus presented in Revelations.

I have no issues with whatever gender Jesus was. It is also understanable that many insecure males who are faithful will have an issue with this. The real issue might be their insecurity.

The fact that many will treat this with humor just adds to the fact that as a society, we ourselves, are very insecure with social gender roles being superfluos and hints at the dark side of society which is willing to regulate these social gender roles even through violence.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!

He can be anything you want him to be.

• Like 1

He can be anything you want him to be.

Isn`t this bit left for God? If Jesus was a man, then why change it? It may not matter if he was male or female to many, but to distort the facts would be lying?? If he was a man, then keep it that way.

As soon as facts are distorted then questions have to be asked about the rest of the story.

Just asking, peace.

• Like 1

I dont see why its hard for people to see that stories may play themself out over and over again. So, it is not an uncommon theme to hope for salvation and to presume it would come from the birth of a child, a divine child... children, both male and female are born everyday, do we say they copy each other or do we recognize, yes they are similar and yes they both exist. Do they exist because they borrowed from each other, do we not all borrow from each other somehow because deep inside we carry similar DNA? But each of our blood is still real. No Jesus was not female, but that doesn't mean females, even divine ones, dont exist...

My thoughts

Peace

Edited by SpiritWriter

He/she could have even been a symbolic dramatic representation of an idea.

Drivel. Just another effort of feminize or otherwise discredit Jesus. How do you explain statements like God saying, "This is my son in whom I am well pleased" or messianic titles like Son of God, Son of David and Christ's most common reference of Himself, Son of Man? He lived and traveled with fishermen, tax collectors rugged hard working men, I think they would know the difference. BTW it is extremely likely that he hung on the cross naked, as that's the way Romans treated their criminals. Again, Drivel.

• Like 2

Drivel. Just another effort of feminize or otherwise discredit Jesus. How do you explain statements like God saying, "This is my son in whom I am well pleased" or messianic titles like Son of God, Son of David and Christ's most common reference of Himself, Son of Man? He lived and traveled with fishermen, tax collectors rugged hard working men, I think they would know the difference. BTW it is extremely likely that he hung on the cross naked, as that's the way Romans treated their criminals. Again, Drivel.

You know the meaning of the word drivel yet you still believe in Jesus?

• Like 3

Oh, and as for explaining God's (so called statements) Were you there at the time, Are you Big Brother, I don't think soooo, So how do YOU explain it?

You come across as a misogynist, An uneducated one at that if you have to use the fictional characters of Jesus and God to back up your hatred of Women. Good luck with that in the modern world.

Since then women have become more valued, sorry about that. How would it discredit Jesus if he/she was female, assuming he/she existed?

Edited by catfromhell
  • Like 1

Oh, and as for explaining God's (so called statements) Were you there at the time, Are you Big Brother, I don't think soooo, So how do YOU explain it?

You come across as a misogynist, An uneducated one at that if you have to use the fictional characters of Jesus and God to back up your hatred of Women.

Way off base. Did you not pay attention to the very valid points of his post, or did you stop reading after 'feminize'?

It would discredit Jesus/God, as he was repeatedly referenced in masculine ways, with a man's name, and as already said above, being given male titles numerous times. Jesus called himself the 'Son' of God, as did Dad (or this is probably a better debatable term, as it is easier to wonder if the abstract 'God' is of one gender or the other, if any). I suppose we could hypothetically say that Jesus is a female now, but it would 'discredit' the only existing accounts of this story. Get why he said that now?

And the story of Jesus is not drivel. It is a very symbolic story with lessons to learn. An episode of Fraggle Rock can not be drivel also, regardless of how unrealistic and silly it looks on the surface. Believe it or not; that's not important. Are the children's tales of The Boy Who Cried Wolf and Rikki Tikki Tembo 'drivel'? Maybe to those ignoring the overall messages inside the text and only paying attention to the surface. Maybe they don't get it; but most likely they don't even attempt to 'get it'. Like those predisposed for various reasons to ignore anything involving the all evil Bible.

Lastly, he never professed any belief in the stories of the Bible. He just noted some of their writings, which would hopefully be what is referenced when dealing with this topic. You are making plenty of assumptions here, which are baring your predispositions.

But I wouldn't go so far to call your opinions drivel, as that is a personal opinion, and I'm not fit to judge.

All that aside, I still think the character of Jesus could be a man, woman, or caterpillar, and the meat of the story wouldn't be affected.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 2

You know the meaning of the word drivel yet you still believe in Jesus?

Yep, good point actually, but so was his as a believer.

What a load of B.S.

• Like 2

Isn`t this bit left for God? If Jesus was a man, then why change it? It may not matter if he was male or female to many, but to distort the facts would be lying?? If he was a man, then keep it that way.

As soon as facts are distorted then questions have to be asked about the rest of the story.

I thought these facts about Jesus were already based on half-truths?

What if Jesus is an invisible friend who billions have a "relationship" with? Jesus could be a man, a woman, or even a spaghetti monster.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

How about picking on Mohammad or Buddha for a change instead of Battering Jesus all the time.

• Like 2

How about picking on Mohammad or Buddha for a change instead of Battering Jesus all the time.

We could always do a cartoon drawing .......................oh wait!!

• Like 1

I thought these facts about Jesus were already based on half-truths?

What if Jesus is an invisible friend who billions have a "relationship" with? Jesus could be a man, a woman, or even a spaghetti monster.

Ah, the invisible friend thing.....................yep, very sane, billions believing in a spaghetti monster....not to worry, next step Mars.

Well, Buddhists are too nice and uncontroversial. Problem for beating on Mohammad, is that I suspect many on this forum may be breaking criminal laws in their country if they said even one word considered to offend that religion.

Wasn't Jesus the masochist?

Wasn't Jesus the masochist?

Not sure, what does the bible say?

Not sure, what does the bible say?

Apparently he come to earth to get beaten and humiliated.