Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The nature of archaeology

pantodragon

Archaeology is a disgusting habit. It’s the intellectual equivalent of sticking one’s nose into one’s own faeces.

And, quite literally, that’s what archaeologists do when they find the preserved remains of some poor sod that has been caught in a snowstorm crossing an Alpine pass – they poke their grubby little fingers into his stomach and intestines, exploring his **** and stomach contents for remnants of his last meal.

Archaeology is a sick obsession with the dead (I say “sick” but any obsession is sick.) Archaeologists make plaster casts of body cavities found in volcanic ash, the victim frozen in the final, excruciating throws of death. Bodies are found in various states of decay: they might be skeletons, or mummies, each with a leering rictus of black teeth and skin stretched over a fleshless head like a face lift gone horribly wrong, or half-rotted corpses of sacrificial victims stained bog-black with the garroting rope still tightly wound round the neck. These grotesque monsters are exhibited for our delectation and amusement in museums --- the modern acceptable version of the freak show.

Archaeology is a sick obsession with the meaningless trivia of life. While any sane person throws away last week’s shopping list, archaeologists carefully preserve any they find.

Archaeology is a sick obsession with cess pits and rubbish tips. We throw our hands up in horror when we see Brazilians or Indians sifting through mounds of filth, of rotting food and the discarded detritus of civilisation, in the rubbish tips of Sao Paulo or Calcutta, yet when archaeologists sift through the filth and detritus of ancient middens, it is deemed a worthy occupation.

Archaeology picks up what others throw away and then sells it. It has all the unsavoury atmosphere of the second hand shop i.e. rank and filthy.

Archaeology is as sick as the minds of the museum curators that carefully preserve, and lovingly handle, an Andy Warhol hair piece and its container --- a brown bag on the cover of which has spread a large stain of grease from Warhol’s long dead body.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be a joke or you really do have an aversion to the acquiring of knowledge.

• Like 5

Then live in darkness and hearsay. I would rather dig through dirt and know the truth than to live in an Ivory tower and be ignorant.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is meant to be a joke or you really do have an aversion to the acquiring of knowledge.

Yes, I am allergic to nuts!

Then live in darkness and hearsay. I would rather dig through dirt and know the truth than to live in an Ivory tower and be ignorant.

You're talking about living in darkness?! By your own admission you're blasting darkness out your rear end, Darkwind, so how often you get to see the light, I can only guess! Also, any idea that you reach the light by grubbing in the dirt is pure fantasy.........and I thought it was well known that it is academics that live in ivory towers.

Edited by pantodragon

While any sane person throws away last week’s shopping list, archaeologists carefully preserve any they find.

========================

No way, Morrison`s and Tesco`s is not that old!!

But I am burying mine from now on,,,,for the future of mankind.

bth_Emoticon_digging.gif

• Like 3

Without archaeology, we wouldn't know many things we know now.

I guess your whole point is that knowledge is something we shouldn't have. Moot point, if you ask me. Your opinions are your opinions though.

Why are you on the internet if you believe nothing of what people have accomplished? Due to your earlier posts, we shouldn't have created the internet either, because we are incompetent. Seems to sum up what you're talking about.

• Like 1

After reading a number of your topics, this is the one that tells me for sure that you’re a poe and a troll. Nobody can be this ignorant and arrogant

• Like 2

While any sane person throws away last week’s shopping list, archaeologists carefully preserve any they find.

========================

No way, Morrison`s and Tesco`s is not that old!!

But I am burying mine from now on,,,,for the future of mankind.

bth_Emoticon_digging.gif

Well I'm glad of your concern for the future archaeologists, ensuring they will have something to do, but museums also require exhibits and I'm sure they would be only too glad to receive donations of your old receipts.

• Like 1

Without archaeology, we wouldn't know many things we know now.

I guess your whole point is that knowledge is something we shouldn't have. Moot point, if you ask me. Your opinions are your opinions though.

Why are you on the internet if you believe nothing of what people have accomplished? Due to your earlier posts, we shouldn't have created the internet either, because we are incompetent. Seems to sum up what you're talking about.

Knowledge is power and as such is open to abuse. Understanding gets round this problem.

Are you on the internet because of what people have accomplished? It seems to be an odd reason. I went to China to see what it was like and came back deciding I did not want to live there. With the internet I have little choice: it will soon be impossible to function in our society without using the internet. I had best make the best of it, then.

After reading a number of your topics, this is the one that tells me for sure that you’re a poe and a troll. Nobody can be this ignorant and arrogant

Old insult, Sunny Jim.........that tack has already been tried on some of my earleir threads. I think the attackers have found that weapon ineffectual and re trying out others. The next obvious ploy is to google pantodragon but I'll save you the trouble.....that too has also been done.

Edited by pantodragon

Well I'm glad of your concern for the future archaeologists, ensuring they will have something to do, but museums also require exhibits and I'm sure they would be only too glad to receive donations of your old receipts.

Well I`m glad you`re glad and glad they will be glad so that makes me glad too. Smiles all round.

• Like 2

Whilst I have no wish to engage you in debate, (I have seen the futility of that strategy in this and other threads), may I ask what you hope to achieve in your numerous and admittedly eloquent posts, especially when you appear completely dismissive of any opinion other than your own?

• Like 5

I don't think archeology is an obsession with death, but more of a celebration of life. Finding out what the person ate, or drank, or how they lived and how they died. It tells us how different their lives were from ours. What were their dreams, what we're their hopes? What were there fears? I also feel it is a study of humanity as well, because even though they lived in a different time and place they were just like you and me at one time.

• Like 2

Whilst I have no wish to engage you in debate, (I have seen the futility of that strategy in this and other threads), may I ask what you hope to achieve in your numerous and admittedly eloquent posts, especially when you appear completely dismissive of any opinion other than your own?

Now you`ve done it! Pantsdragon is not going to like that!

• Like 1

Now you`ve done it! Pantsdragon is not going to like that!

I tried to be as polite as I could! s3564.gif

• Like 4

woman, prepare to meet thy doom.....

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/index.php

I love those type of places, i`m packed and ready to goooo:

suitcases-240ab071610.jpg

• Like 2

that's a helluva lot of luggage to be lugging around on a boat freet!

how many pairs of shoes can one woman wear for gods' sake?!

:-)

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 2

Whilst I have no wish to engage you in debate (I have seen the futility of that strategy in this and other threads), may I ask what you hope to achieve in your numerous and admittedly eloquent posts, especially when you appear completely dismissive of any opinion other than your own?

I can only say that I am heartily glad that you finally realise the futility of opposing my good self. In view of your new found and appropriate humility, I will oblige with a response to your request as regards my aspirations regarding my posts. However, my response will have to wait till my next session on the internet.

I can only say that I am heartily glad that you finally realise the futility of opposing my good self. In view of your new found and appropriate humility, I will oblige with a response to your request as regards my aspirations regarding my posts. However, my response will have to wait till my next session on the internet.

I can hardly wait! You really do know how to titillate a fellow, don't you? s0608.gif

• Like 1

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

However, my response will have to wait till my next session on the internet.

Don't bother. I've yet to see any response to any of your posts that comes anywhere near interested, let alone impressed.

• Like 3

may I ask what you hope to achieve in your numerous and admittedly eloquent posts, especially when you appear completely dismissive of any opinion other than your own?

“A just question, my liege.” (Lord of the Rings; The Two Towers)

I was going to give a lengthy reply to this but then realized that the Lord of the Rings will do it for me.

The question above occurs when Gandalf (in the film version) enters the court of Theoden at Edoras, where he is nick-named Stormcrow for always appearing when a ‘storm was brewing’, and being always a bearer of bad news.

“Hail, Theoden King,” says Gandalf. “The courtesy of your court has lessened of late.”

“Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow?” says the king.

“A just question, my liege,” says Wormtongue, addressing the king. Then he turns to Gandalf. “Lathspell, I name thee. Ill news is an ill guest.”

Gandalf gets much the same welcome wherever he goes because he always turns up when there are difficulties and is always bringing bad news and warnings.

In spite of the bad receptions he gets, Gandalf persists.

Gandalf has nothing, apparently, to gain; neither power, nor crown, nor kingdom, and is not making many friends. What do you think motivates Gandalf?

My motivation is pretty much the same.

The only real difference is that, while Gandalf seeks to persuade others to heed his warnings, to believe what he tells them, that is not the way I work. My methods are more subtle.

Don't bother. I've yet to see any response to any of your posts that comes anywhere near interested, let alone impressed.

Do you know that elevated levels of hydrogen ions (low pH) can have harmful effects on plants, aquatic animals, and infrastructure --- so how is your infrastructure these days, and when did you last spot a living plant in the desert of your mind?