Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
keithisco

Dreamliner: Boeing 'may never find battery...

3 posts in this topic

I am sorry, but I do not buy this...

If Boeing Engineers cannot find the root cause of the Battery Overheating on the 787 (Dreamliner...Hah!!) then they are much less competent, or did not put in the resources needed to find the root cause.

This is NOT Rocket Science, you recreate in simulation ALL of the factors that could impact on Battery performance, you use Monte Carlo "Worst Case" simulation, when you achieve the same "Real Time" results then you possibly have the answer. I stand aghast...

From the article:

"It is not uncommon not to have found the single root cause. So industry best practice is to look at all the potential causes and address all of them."

it is extremely uncommon NOT to find the Root Cause.... Will I fly on a Dreamliner? Not on your (or my) life

Thanks to BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22251756

1 person likes this

Hopefully the new batteries will fix the problem. There was probably some type of small flaw in the old ones that allowed this to happen.

Hopefully the new batteries will fix the problem. There was probably some type of small flaw in the old ones that allowed this to happen.

But that is just the point... Boeing say they may never know what caused the problem. They could probe the effect, but could not discern the cause. I have not yet found out the full details of the "Fix" for the battery problem, but it would need to be technically correct (i.e. different technology, re-routing of Power Looms, removing any source of ignition (not containment) etc)

My guess, and it is ONLY a guess is that the Electrolytic Capacitors failed in some way, that is a fairly common cause of charging failures.