Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims

Clarakore

Changing views on Muslims  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How have your thoughts changed towards Muslims?

• I am a Christian and my views have changed to better understand and accept Muslims.
    • I am not a Chrisitan and my views have changed to better understand and accept Muslims.
    • I am a Chrisitan and my views have changed to take a dimmer view against Muslims.
    • I am not a Christian and my views have changed to take a dimmer view against Muslims.
    • Obligatory other

Your experiment would be more enlightening for you if you tried to live for a day as a Jew, a Christian, a Buddhist, a declared atheist, an apostate, or a homosexual in a Middle Eastern country.

Of course, in the ones that practise Shariah, the last experience would be a short one, indeed.

Really lol I fully understand the implications of what you suggest, but that wouldn't give me any insight into Muslim perspective on any western inflicted terrorism :no: and perhaps why its so easy for extremest to radicalise people like the Boston bombers, you can give your opinion and try to manipulate my perspective with your own but that doesn't really help me, I personally think we would have a very similar situation if we took religion out of the equation, we know that peoples differences no matter what they are are used negatively

• Like 1

That is the way most Muslims understand the word. They are familiar with the way you and others misuse it though.

If we are misusing the word it is only because of how we learned of it back in 2001. They said it meant holy war and it seems they meant it. So now it has two meanings and I'm only concerned about one of them. Again, you do realize there are plenty if jihadis that would happily cut your head off in front of an audience? You focus so much time telling everyone how many good ones there are as if people can't understand that. Your problem is that you refuse to acknowledge the bad ones and have a conniption when someone mentions them. Hell, even Bill Maher is sensible about this subject. He had a guest on the other night who sounded just like you and Maher actually told him he was speaking liberal bullsht. If Maher can say that then surely so can you. And if it helps he had nothing nice to say about the 'right' during the rest of the show.

• Like 2

If we are misusing the word it is only because of how we learned of it back in 2001. They said it meant holy war and it seems they meant it. So now it has two meanings and I'm only concerned about one of them. Again, you do realize there are plenty if jihadis that would happily cut your head off in front of an audience? You focus so much time telling everyone how many good ones there are as if people can't understand that. Your problem is that you refuse to acknowledge the bad ones and have a conniption when someone mentions them. Hell, even Bill Maher is sensible about this subject. He had a guest on the other night who sounded just like you and Maher actually told him he was speaking liberal bullsht. If Maher can say that then surely so can you. And if it helps he had nothing nice to say about the 'right' during the rest of the show.

Sad thing about it all is the islamists have been going for a very long time and most people just classed them as a nutty religious sect, but somehow they have managed to grow, and grow, and grow!!! the signs were always there, many just chose to ignore them. The likes of Boko Harem is one of many from a very long line.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Sad thing about it all is the islamists have been going for a very long time and most people just classed them as a nutty religious sect, but somehow they have managed to grow, and grow, and grow!!! the signs were always there, many just chose to ignore them. The likes of Boko Harem is one of many from a very long line.

Everyone keeps arguing with me that Islamists aren't the only terrorists and bring up serial killers and mass shooters as if they don't get the difference between isolated nuts and an enormous and connected ever growing worldwide group bent on killing everyone who isn't them. They play on the technicality of the definition of the word.

• Like 1

Everyone keeps arguing with me that Islamists aren't the only terrorists and bring up serial killers and mass shooters as if they don't get the difference between isolated nuts and an enormous and connected ever growing worldwide group bent on killing everyone who isn't them. They play on the technicality of the definition of the word.

Tell me about it, I had years of it on another forum.

best one is here in England, just because the islamic political movement was defunct, some people actually believed they no longer operated....well they did operate under numerous other names and grew even faster.

Terrorist - one who incites terror through violence or the threat of violence

This definition covers the following -

international

religious

homegrown

individual

and probably many others.

Here is how it breaks down -

not all terrorists are Muslim, no matter how hard you play with the definition.

Nibs

• Like 2

It's odd to see a topic about the "Christian Right" started by someone, who just a couple of days ago, was complaining about divisiveness.

• Like 3

international

religious

homegrown

individual

Nibs

Not all terrorists have been around for so long and still growing either!

• Like 1

international

religious

homegrown

individual

Nibs

Very good Sherlock. In light of these times and the context of the current events why must we be reminded of that? When we are speaking of terrorism right now we should all be on the same page by now. If someone wants to bring up terrorism in conversation are you going to act like you don't know what they're referring to? Will the first thing you think of be Hells Angels bikers terrorizing? Doubt it. Teenagers egging houses? Yea ok.

It's odd to see a topic about the "Christian Right" started by someone, who just a couple of days ago, was complaining about divisiveness.

Very good. Typical liberal.

• Like 1

Very good Sherlock. In light of these times and the context of the current events why must we be reminded of that? When we are speaking of terrorism right now we should all be on the same page by now. If someone wants to bring up terrorism in conversation are you going to act like you don't know what they're referring to? Will the first thing you think of be Hells Angels bikers terrorizing? Doubt it. Teenagers egging houses? Yea ok.

Sure you mentioned this sort of thing happening in your earlier post, surprised the serial killers and mass shooters were not mentioned too, but give it time!.

Typical woman...I rarely forget anything. :whistle::w00t:

• Like 4

Not all terrorists have been around for so long and still growing either!

This makes no sense to me. Terrorists have always been around, groups grow and wane all the time.

Nope, my first thought is not "oh no, the Muslims" when I see an act of terror. Never. Nope.

Most of the world is on the same page. You seem to be on the "if its an act of terror it must be Muslim related" page.

Sure you mentioned this sort of thing happening in your earlier post, surprised the serial killers and mass shooters were not mentioned too, but give it time!.

:rolleyes:

Nibs

• Like 1

This makes no sense to me. Terrorists have always been around, groups grow and wane all the time.

WANE is not what the islamists have been doing......is it getting any clearer now?

WANE is not what the islamists have been doing......is it getting any clearer now?

Now, I didn't say anything about any particular group "waning" did I?

I don't have any problem separating "terrorists" from Muslims. NOT all the same.

Nibs

• Like 1

Sure, you must've been one of those who was seething for Boston to be a right wing thing since it was tax day while never looking to realize that those types of attacks are always target oriented like a gov institution or employees and you know because the right wingers are the number one terror problem these days. And islam terrorism as everyone else sees it is always random Americans except for 9-11. I guess it makes liberals feel good to wear terrorism blinders but if a white guy uses a racial slur it'll be hell to pay.

• Like 1

Sure, you must've been one of those who was seething for Boston to be a right wing thing since it was tax day while never looking to realize that those types of attacks are always target oriented like a gov institution or employees and you know because the right wingers are the number one terror problem these days. And islam terrorism as everyone else sees it is always random Americans except for 9-11. I guess it makes liberals feel good to wear terrorism blinders but if a white guy uses a racial slur it'll be hell to pay.

Please don't assume how I felt.

The first thing I felt was that I was horrified, then hoped that my family that was running in or was attending was ok and then I felt anger towards whatever lunatic caused the horror.

Your bigotry is getting old.

Nibs

• Like 1

Please don't assume how I felt.

The first thing I felt was that I was horrified, then hoped that my family that was running in or was attending was ok and then I felt anger towards whatever lunatic caused the horror.

Your bigotry is getting old.

Nibs

All that and yet you remain naïve. Why? nm, don't care for more liberal philosophy.

I've said not one bigoted thing.

Edit: Nothing yet? I'm going out to eat while you search my posts for bigotry.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-

I'm sorry, but Muslims have done it to themselves. Whenever i see anything to do with violence on the news its usually Muslims. They plant bombs to blow people up, they kill their own female relatives for just holding hands with a man, they plan terrorists attacks, the list goes on and on. Here in Ontario there was a plan for Muslims to blow up a train with innocent people between Niagara falls and New York. Luckily they arrested the Muslims involved. How am i suppose to feel about Muslims? Christians or any other religion didn't give me that view, Muslims did. They did it all by themselves.

This is one religion i really have no respect for.

Edited by mike72
  • Like 1

There's two schools of Islam I think are the exceptions. Sufism, as I understand it, is the more mystical branch and judging by how it's been persecuted by other Muslims they must be doing something right. The other branch is the Nizari, headed by the Aga Khan and known for its social work.

I realize the Aga Khan is fabulously wealthy, and lots of that wealth comes from tithes, but I haven't heard anything bad about these two types of Muslims. I could be all wrong though. /shrug

I'm sorry, but Muslims have done it to themselves. Whenever i see anything to do with violence on the news its usually Muslims. They plant bombs to blow people up, they kill their own female relatives for just holding hands with a man, they plan terrorists attacks, the list goes on and on. Here in Ontario there was a plan for Muslims to blow up a train with innocent people between Niagara falls and New York. Luckily they arrested the Muslims involved. How am i suppose to feel about Muslims? Christians or any other religion didn't give me that view, Muslims did. They did it all by themselves.

What was placed in bold above was sort of the premise of this thread.

• Like 1

I'm back from dinner and I'm all filled up on hate and bigotry. :)

lol, we should all go to the chat room. Does anyone use it?

Now your argument is martial arts flicks? That is ridiculous.

Fact is: Buddhism has no concepts such as Jihad and Shahidism.

You can dislike it as much as you want, but that is a fact.

My argument is not martial arts flicks :rolleyes: I said that martial arts flicks are not contradictory to history. As I said, if I was posting from home, I'd go back though my post history and find links I have found in the past that document militant Buddhists waging war.

That Zaphod, is fact.

For a running tally of islamic terrorism, you can visit:

http://www.****************.com/

Posting from my phone, I haven't looked at the link. And I know terrorism its an almost daily occurrence in some areas of the world. But how much of it is religious, how much is political, and how much is simply revenge. The Israelis and Palestinians bomb each other regularly, but it's a racial thong, not religious. Oh, I almost forgot culture. In many places where "honour killings" are done, it's cultural, not religious. Predominately Muslim, so naturally Muslims are more likely, but a Christian growing up in the same culture would be just as likely to commit honour killings.
undertand you desparately want to be "fair", but the reality is simply different. You are picking ludicrious examples of individual nutcases (e.g. the Westbury church is basically one family), whereas in the islamic world, the extremists are actually the leaders of the religion. Check out what Ayatollha Khameini says, or Yussuf Al Qaradfai, the leader of the muslim brotherhood. Look at what life in real-life Shariah countries like Afghanistan and Yemen is like.

Those are not extreme examples, that is Shariah in practise.

I am picking an example of extremism inn one belief to compare it to extremism in another. The fact that you are making excuses for Christianity tells much about your bias.
Not at all actually. Humankind is what it is. I just look at reality, and reality is different from the warm-and-fuzzy wannabe world that political correctness tries to paint for us. I kind of understand you though, wanting to hang on to your comfortable stereotypes.

I'm talking personal experience here, 33 years living in a society full of Muslims, growing up with them, interacting with them. It's not political correctness, it's a fact of life. Your anti-Muslim sentiments can't get past that, though.
  • Like 1

My argument is not martial arts flicks :rolleyes: I said that martial arts flicks are not contradictory to history. As I said, if I was posting from home, I'd go back though my post history and find links I have found in the past that document militant Buddhists waging war.

That Zaphod, is fact.

But that wasn't his claim. There is no concept or teachings of fighting a war for Buddhism. Or in Jainism, Ba'hai and other religions. If I'm wrong, show me the sutra or shastra.