Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
DieChecker

Hubble snaps first image of ISON

4 posts in this topic

http://thespacereporter.com/2013/04/hubble-snaps-first-image-of-ison-the-comet-of-the-century/

NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope has managed to capture the first image of comet ISON.

ison1.jpg

While the comet itself is little more than three miles in diameter, the shine emitted by ISON could cause it to appear brighter than any object in the night sky, including the moon, say astronomers. The massive comet tail, which measures a stunning 57,000 miles, is among the largest in the solar system.

I really am looking forward to seeing this comet! :clap::tsu:

2 people like this

Me too, I hope it survives it's brush with the sun. I do wonder why it is so bright?

It's another reason to look forward to the Autumn :)

I would guess its bright because its big. It might also have to do with its composition, but I prefer just big -- comets are not known to vary much in what they are made of.

I wonder if its large size has any effect, one way or the other, on its likelihood of not making it around the sun in one piece. I can see arguments for both views (the larger size meaning it is not as compact, the larger size meaning it has more gravity).