Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monstrous whirlpool in parish Dviete, Latvia

bmk1245

18.04.2013. Dviete, Latvia

Monstrous whirlpool in parish Dviete, Latvia swallows everything in its path. Swallowing everything dragged towards its direction, this monstrous whirlpool looks as if a plug has been pulled from the ground beneath.

Wow! Just wow!

• Like 4

I wouldn't call it Monstous. Looks like maybe 2 foot across. It is cool to watch

• Like 2

I saw this on the interwebs last night. Pretty cool stuff.

That's amazing!!! Where do you suppose all that water is going, and how long has this been happening?

Yes, I'd like to know when it started and at what rate the water is disappearing, if it's disappearing.

Could out be a sink hole?

We're living in strange times....

• Like 1

Cute, but that thing is hardly "monstrous". It is tiny.

To see a truly monstrous whirlpool, go to youtube and search for the Lake Peigneur disaster. That is what I would call monstrous.

Cute, but that thing is hardly "monstrous". It is tiny.

To see a truly monstrous whirlpool, go to youtube and search for the Lake Peigneur disaster. That is what I would call monstrous.

Ermm... Thats why I put it in Natural World, not in Earth, Disasters and the Environment... :ph34r:

Anyway, its really monstrously hungry for ice.

It looks like it could pull a person in… monstrous enough for my taste.

2013, the Year of the Sinkhole. No, really, all around the world, every few weeks another sinkhole opens up and swallows something news-worthy. It's the snow melting in some regions, or rains in the other, but still there were so many... we had few but they didn't make international news. They are relatively common to be honest, but in context of all the other sinkholes... it's a little creepy.

• Like 2

One of the youtube comments, in Russian, says "It's near the dam overflow, idiots!". And somebody in another comment linked to this video (The gates of Hell) of the same event, but pans camera to the left at 50 seconds to show what happens. This video was posted only a few minutes ago, and 4 days after bmk1245 has made this post here so he would not have known. :)

http://youtu.be/_OH9jVp5yKY

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri

Now it makes sense, I was wondering how the hell it could be possible to have such huge cavern under the lake that is clearly not in karst or karst-like terrain...

Still creepy.

I don’t like whirlpools ever since I was staring at one, relatively small, in relatively small river, playing far too near to the current and my father put me into the whirlpool, holding me by my hands, to teach me the strength and danger of whirlpools. True story. Partially explains what has become of me :D

Now it makes sense, I was wondering how the hell it could be possible to have such huge cavern under the lake that is clearly not in karst or karst-like terrain...

Still creepy.

I don’t like whirlpools ever since I was staring at one, relatively small, in relatively small river, playing far too near to the current and my father put me into the whirlpool, holding me by my hands, to teach me the strength and danger of whirlpools. True story. Partially explains what has become of me :D

Hmmm, looks like you bought something out of the whirlpool with you :)

Impressive to watch, but I was expecting some parish church and little village houses being swallowed up. Not the biggest of Eddy`s.

A pipe with a vertical open-end and a pump to suck the water through. It might just be an overflow but it's also doing a great job of clearing/cleaning out everything on the surface too; incidentally or deliberately. Hardly monstrous but it is powerful.