Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK Peace Index Shows Fall In Violent Crime

Commander CMG

The UK has seen a "substantial and sustained" fall in violent crime over the last decade, according to a report.

A new UK Peace Index has revealed that violent crime in Britain is falling more rapidly than anywhere else in Western Europe.

The murder rate has halved since 2003, from 1.99 per 100,000 people to one per 100,000 with the violent crime rate falling from 1,255 to 933 per 100,000 people, according to the research.

Broadland, in Norfolk, was the most peaceful area at local authority level, followed by Three Rivers in Hertfordshire, South Cambridgeshire, East Dorset and Maldon in Essex.

Inner London boroughs were the least peaceful - headed by Lewisham and followed by Lambeth, Hackney, Newham and Tower Hamlets.

The most peaceful region in the UK was South East England and the least peaceful Greater London followed by Scotland and Northern Ireland.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 1

This is widespread around the world; the violent progressively kill each other off and hence breed less. We should give every teenager a gun and several rounds of ammunition and a few grenades and speed up the process.

I think technology has a lot to do with dropping crime rates; better trained and equipped police, more surveillance, more certainty of getting caught.

Improving standards of living also play an important role, and living standards are improving -- people don't notice it, but just think back at the phones and computers and imported foods and vaccines and drugs you didn't have twenty years ago.

Of course if a kid spends all his energy fighting invading aliens on a computer monitor, he's less likely to get into a real street fight.

And then there is contraception and abortion. Not so many unwanted babies in the world. I think it makes a big difference.

Watched this on the news this morning. Norfolk will be shaking in their poaching gear after that incase of an influx and Lewisham, well, I can tell you some stories seeing thats where I left because of it....but although I did express my concerns at the time for many years, I was still called a right wing racist, which may I add I am not as I have an Ainsley Harriott's cookbook.

Edited by freetoroam

It does make me wonder though. Is it because less people are going to the police?

Over the last couple of months in my small town there have been murders, attacks, dog thefts, etc.

Maybe it's just my town, I don't know. lol.

We've had a lot of break ins too because our street lights get switched off at night.

• Like 1

It does make me wonder though. Is it because less people are going to the police?

Over the last couple of months in my small town there have been murders, attacks, dog thefts, etc.

Maybe it's just my town, I don't know. lol.

We've had a lot of break ins too because our street lights get switched off at night.

don`t start me on the street lights!!

• Like 1

If you depend on police statistics you always get steadily dropping crime, except when they need an increase in their budget. I prefer independent survey-type studies.

• Like 2

Survey studies only choose a certain amount, its just a model really.

Crime has reduced i agree