Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
kallisti

Kundalini Yoga and it's (fake?) religion

7 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody,

Over the last year I have been doing a lot of Kundalini Yoga. It has helped me balance my moods and become at home in my body. I took on a 40 day Kriya in which I practiced the same series of exercises and meditations very early in the morning every single day with complete devotion. Towards the end of the 40 days I began to dig up some dirt on the Yogi Bhajan, the man who brought Kundalini to the west. It appears as though he was a womanizer and a capitalist. The yoga teachers in his lineage claim to be of the Sikh faith but further research into the Sikh's revealed that yoga is not part of the Sikh practice.

It seems that Yogi Bhajan made up all of these goofy yoga kriyas and meditations. I do honestly feel like they have helped me and will continue to practice them. I am wondering if anyone else has any experience with Kundalini yoga, what they think about Yogi Bhajan and I would love to hear from people of the Sikh faith.

Thanks!

I hope I put this in the correct forum!

A lot of these so-called 'yogis' are frauds. Sai Baba is one of them.

Anyways..if the yoga and meditations help you then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just remember not to get too enamored with these yogis, most of them are frauds and the rest are simply delusional.

A lot of these so-called 'yogis' are frauds. Sai Baba is one of them.

Anyways..if the yoga and meditations help you then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just remember not to get too enamored with these yogis, most of them are frauds and the rest are simply delusional.

Exactly - if the meditations are working for you, then you got what you wanted out of it. Doesn't matter what the source is!

2 people like this

Hey Everybody,

Over the last year I have been doing a lot of Kundalini Yoga. It has helped me balance my moods and become at home in my body. I took on a 40 day Kriya in which I practiced the same series of exercises and meditations very early in the morning every single day with complete devotion. Towards the end of the 40 days I began to dig up some dirt on the Yogi Bhajan, the man who brought Kundalini to the west. It appears as though he was a womanizer and a capitalist. The yoga teachers in his lineage claim to be of the Sikh faith but further research into the Sikh's revealed that yoga is not part of the Sikh practice.

It seems that Yogi Bhajan made up all of these goofy yoga kriyas and meditations. I do honestly feel like they have helped me and will continue to practice them. I am wondering if anyone else has any experience with Kundalini yoga, what they think about Yogi Bhajan and I would love to hear from people of the Sikh faith.

Thanks!

I hope I put this in the correct forum!

One never ever has to 'buy' into the sell me a Guru prattle(training) to glean value out of things. I am an avid Bikram Yoga enthusiast (the exercise routine) but I do not give one iota about Bikram as some yogi all knowing g-d regardless of what he claims. I refuse to buy and I mean literally buy into his teacher training for thousands of dollars. Yet the hawtha side of the practice is fantastic, it keeps me in shape.

I am the same with way with any belief though, I stay out of getting caught up in the interpretation and listen to my own experience, how it works for me is the only voice I listen too. If this meditation has added to your life kudos to you!

1 person likes this

I watched Kumare last week! What a thought provoking documentary. It is probably what inspired me to post. When he talked about making up yoga positions and sequences it hit close to home. The yoga exercises I do are supposed to awaken the Kundalini energy that sits at the base of your spine and bring it up through your chakras. I enjoy the exercises (though they can be very silly) and conscious breathing, it makes me feel really,really good. I have not felt my chakras activating. If anyone who reads this has had a Kundalini awaking from doing the yoga, I would love to hear about it.

Posted (edited)

I watched Kumare last week! What a thought provoking documentary. It is probably what inspired me to post. When he talked about making up yoga positions and sequences it hit close to home. The yoga exercises I do are supposed to awaken the Kundalini energy that sits at the base of your spine and bring it up through your chakras. I enjoy the exercises (though they can be very silly) and conscious breathing, it makes me feel really,really good. I have not felt my chakras activating. If anyone who reads this has had a Kundalini awaking from doing the yoga, I would love to hear about it.

I have not, but my feeling is that there is something to it. I have felt many other types of energetic sensations and I imagine it's the same thing from a different cultural perspective. Just on a side note certain breathing exercises lower blood oxygen levels which can give you a euphoric feeling and heighten your experience with whatever movement or ritual your brain starts to associate it with. Some people even become adicted. A very old brainwashing technique, but it is useful in certain other ways.

Edited by Seeker79
1 person likes this