Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Child of Bast

MS Word Dictionary

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever encountered a full 'custom' dictionary in Microsoft Word? For as long as I've ever used Word, I've never reached any kind of limit, but the one I'm using here at work has reached its limit.

Earlier I was going through a document and noticed the red squiggly line under the words connection, to and system. For connection, the suggested replacement was conexion and for to it was too or to... among others. I didn't look at the suggestions for system. So I tried adding the words and I got a message that the dictionary was full. :unsure2: I looked under help to see if there was a way to remove some of the words from the dictionary that exists when Word is programmed, but the list was completely unpopulated. I manually added connection and system, but that didn't help.

Anyone have a clue what might be going on? A virus?

Oh and this is the first time this has happened.

Version ?

That looks like its 'grammar' suggestions rather than 'spelling' suggestions ...

Are you working in a network environment ? Local quota on the server or local disk is maxed out ?

Do you use custom macros ?

First question........... 2003 (don't laugh)

Red squiggly line generally indicates a spelling error; green squiggly indicates grammar.

Second question..... yes, but I'm the one primarily using Word. Everyone else is on AutoCAD all day.

Fourth question....... No.

First question........... 2003 (don't laugh)

Red squiggly line generally indicates a spelling error; green squiggly indicates grammar.

Second question..... yes, but I'm the one primarily using Word. Everyone else is on AutoCAD all day.

Fourth question....... No.

Okay ... not lauughing ...

Yes to red and green squiggly lines indicators but sometimes with all these 'skins' and 'themes' its best just to ask :)

Now ... AutoCAD network environment is notorious for not liking to share network resources, I don't believe this is a software related,

are you using anything that involves character encoding HTML XML files ? Multi Language settings ?

I don't use custom dictionaries so I can't say I'm familiar with your predicament but it doesn't seems to be a virus either unless its macros related.

If you edit a lot of files that is originally formatted in a later version, the porting to earlier versions isn't all reliable, something to keep in mind.

Could potentially be corrupted. If it shows to be empty while you're editing it, Then this may be the case. You will need to make a new custom dictionary.

If it claims to be full in the future simply open the dictionary file in a text editor and manually add them in that way.