Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

It's all in a Name!

Ealdwita

You don't come across many of these names on the Parade Ground.

• Like 1

You don't come across many of these names on the Parade Ground.

In my regiment, nearly every bugger was called Gurung!

• Like 2

Was he that drinking pal of Hugh Janus?

No his mate was Ben Dover hee hee.
  • Like 2

In my regiment, nearly every bugger was called Gurung!

:lol: What.. not even a 'Chalky White' He was a boy, especially turning up to Court in Polka dot dress.

• Like 2

Hubby once sent off for free batteries, put name as Jack Miorf, got the batteries. :tu:

He also ordered some seats off ebay once and had the name Roger McHunt, got them too.

So glad we do not have children together!

• Like 1

You can maybe imagine my puzzlement when in High School English I was assigned to read Great Expectations. Not knowing that much English then, I just assumed the names for people must have changed a lot over time, but later I had many times wondered. Thanks all.

• Like 2

:lol: What.. not even a 'Chalky White' He was a boy, especially turning up to Court in Polka dot dress.

No Chalky White, but I seem to remember we had a 'Dusty' Guruwacharya. (Please don't ask!)

• Like 2

You can maybe imagine my puzzlement when in High School English I was assigned to read Great Expectations. Not knowing that much English then, I just assumed the names for people must have changed a lot over time, but later I had many times wondered. Thanks all.

That book was set near the area where I now live. 'Abel Magwich' was my favourite from that novel.

• Like 1

Hubby once sent off for free batteries, put name as Jack Miorf, got the batteries. :tu:

He also ordered some seats off ebay once and had the name Roger McHunt, got them too.

So glad we do not have children together!

F.O'Kinnel,
  • Like 1

Wasn't there a song once about a guys two best friends being Nick A.Teen and Al K. Haul?...

Wasn't there a song once about a guys two best friends being Nick A.Teen and Al K. Haul?...

Shhhh, you'd better not mention that whilst the police investigations are in progress!

• Like 1

Another name question. I met a woman in Vancouver BC who called herself "Joy Happiness." How typical of Canadians is that sort of thing?

Not very typical but Vancouver is the 'hippy magnet' of Canada. I ran across a "California Valley" there once.

I've known some folks with pretty weird names... I actually knew a gal named Happiness Joy her brother's name was Sunshine Glory. They kinda just owned those ridiculous names and were proud of them and never were bullied. I worked with a kid named GreatJoy and also worked with a guy named: IX (pronounced Nine) ... I also knew a gal whose given name was Mary Christmas Carroll--she eventually changed her name after many years of having to tell the story how she ended up with such a ridicuolous moniker. I also have two very caucasian friends with very Japanese first names for no particular reason at all. hahaha.

I stayed really traditional with my own kid's name... And, I named my nieces as well... they have lovely but somewhat common traditional names too. Although my younger niece might have to make sure she doesn't marry a Potter, Gardner, Bush or other greenery named man... If she does, she might have to hang on to her maiden name. Cuz Lillie Rose doesn't mix with other botanically oriented names. LOL.