Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Virgin Galactic Craft to Go Supersonic?

Waspie_Dwarf

SpaceShipTwo Ready to Break Sound Barrier

SpaceShipTwo, a six-passenger, two-pilot suborbital spaceship owned by Virgin Galactic, an offshoot of Richard Branson’s Virgin Group, is scheduled for is first rocket-powered test flight on Monday, Branson told the Las Vegas Sun newspaper in an interview published on Tuesday.

“We’re hoping to break the sound barrier. That’s planned Monday. It will be a historic day,” the newspaper quoted Branson as saying.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 2

This is sure a step towards public space travel, but as of now its not going 'far', but who knows where they will go in future.

Virgin Galactic is taking reservations and deposits for the surborbital space rides, which sell for $200,000 per person. More than 500 people have signed up....still a bit pricey for me, will wait for the price to come down in a few years.

Edited by freetoroam

:)

ah, the rich and powerful, now they can drink champagne 1000 miles above all the poor people

:)

ah, the rich and powerful, now they can drink champagne 1000 miles above all the poor people

Well 62 miles up and I don't suspect they will be drinking much champagne in zero G.

This is how air travel started, it was expensive and so only the rich could afford it, but as demand rose prices fell. Now most people in the industrial world can afford air travel. Don't resent the rich and powerful this luxury because ultimately it is them that will make space tourism attainable for the rest of us.

• Like 4

Can I be the first to use the term 'Space-Rage' as I am sure it will only be a few years now before our selfish behaviour on Earth will be occurring in space now the masses are on their way to the cosmos.

$200,000 per person? $200,000? Oh heck, it'll have to wait till next months wages then :w00t:

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

62 mile high club, anyone?

YEah ! Im all in,no wait out out again,now Im in ,No Out again ! Dang this Zero-G ! Were going to need velcro condoms !

• Like 1

$200,000 per person? $200,000? Oh heck, it'll have to wait till next months wages then :w00t:

Can you wait for 2 months and take me with you?

• Like 1

Can you wait for 2 months and take me with you?

yes ok but only if your a clean woman with a dirty mind.... eternity is a long old time :w00t:

• Like 1

Humans are risk takers. Our desire to explore has likely led to the success of our species. To the risk takers, go the rewards.

• Like 1

Virgin Galactic are reporting on Facebook that the first powered flight test has been successful.

PF01 B-Roll Footage

B-Roll Footage of Virgin Galactic breaking the speed of sound in first rocket-powered flight of SpaceShipTwo

Source: Virgin Galactic - YouTube Channel

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 3

Thanks for that footage Waspie! Awesome to see, and a successful test flight! :tu:

Sir Richard Branson and Family will be Soon to Fly into the History Books. What a day that will be ! Thanks Waspie for keeping this thread up. :tu:

wow 200,000 dollars that's a lot of money there.pretty much only the rich can afford or people that get paid a lot of money.i already have the technology its called astral projection oh yeah and the best part its free and unlimited to one can do hell yeah no spaceship can beat that

Virgin Galactic First Powered Flight VNR

Virgin Galactic First Powered Flight VNR

VG Powered Flight Updated Drop BRoll

Final footage of SS2 going supersonic for the first time.

• 3 weeks later...

Highdesert50.Totally agree. That's why I defend expensive rescue missions for explorers when all the sooky lalas start complaining these people got off the couch and did something. Even if for personal glory. And to be honest, they aren't that expensive as the rescuers and resources are being used anyway. There's another saying "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." For Red Dwarf fans in machine language "If you don't gosub a program loop, you won't get a sub route."