Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man with Tourettes Yells Bomb at Airport

libstaK

An airline barred a US man suffering from Tourette's syndrome from boarding a flight after he said the word "bomb".

Michael Doyle was about to get on a Jet Blue flight from Washington to San Juan in Puerto Rico on Friday with his friend when he was stopped by airline staff, Fox News reported.

"I mean they stood me up in front of everyone and told me like I'm in kindergarten that I'm not allowed to go on the plane," Mr Doyle said.

Mr Doyle said he had planned ahead and even had a doctor's letter to show JetBlue and airport security if any issues arose.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/04/28/13/00/man-with-tourettes-banned-from-flight

I feel sorry for him I really do, but I still can't stop laughing when I imagine how this went down.

• Like 6

I feel sorry for him I really do, but I still can't stop laughing when I imagine how this went down.

I know! :yes:

• Like 1

An airline barred a US man suffering from Tourette's syndrome from boarding a flight after he said the word "bomb".

Michael Doyle was about to get on a Jet Blue flight from Washington to San Juan in Puerto Rico on Friday with his friend when he was stopped by airline staff, Fox News reported.

"I mean they stood me up in front of everyone and told me like I'm in kindergarten that I'm not allowed to go on the plane," Mr Doyle said.

Mr Doyle said he had planned ahead and even had a doctor's letter to show JetBlue and airport security if any issues arose.

http://news.ninemsn....ned-from-flight

I know that vision keeps going through my mind.
  • Like 2

Poor man.. But, imagine how unsettled many on the flight would be with him on there.

I can imagine how horrible it would be to try and travel with that condition.

• Like 1

I once worked with a lady named "Grenade" (last name). We traveled by air frequently and you NEVER could have her paged overhead at the airport :w00t:

I have a personal friend who suffers from tourettes.

Somewhat disconcerting with the "vocal tics" if you don't know what's going on medically.

He and his wife know I'm perfectly OK with it, so I never have a problem when visiting.

After all, I have my own disorder(acute anxiety) so who am I to "laugh" at someone.

Edited by pallidin

I have a personal friend who suffers from tourettes.

Somewhat disconcerting with the "vocal tics" if you don't know what's going on medically.

He and his wife know I'm perfectly OK with it, so I never have a problem when visiting.

After all, I have my own disorder(acute anxiety) so who am I to "laugh" at someone.

No one is laughing "at" him, at least I don't think so. I would like to think that for him, or anyone in his situation the bizarre way the world is handling their fears of the unknown by feeling a need manage a person with a disability so that others don't suffer some completely misplaced fear is an indictment on human nature that if we can't see the funny side, we will fall in a type of just as equally misplaced despair over.

I would like to picture him telling this to some mates over a beer and having a riotous time recalling the crazy reactions and expressions on faces his completely innocent and unintentional outbursts created amongst those around him - it makes a great ice breaker when you can laugh at the bizarre situations a person can end up in on this earth.

• Like 1

I saw (and heard) this guy on Fox last night. His "tick" sounded like a yelp or shout of the word bomb. If I had been on that flight and had to listen to someone doing that for an hour or more I'd have been uneasy and some people would probably have gotten angry thinking he was just being a wise guy. I guess the pilot did what he thought was best.