Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Still Waters

Are horses lazy or just bored, ask scientists

6 posts in this topic

Since the dawn of time, they have seemed man’s hardest working animal companion – performing stoically as a method of transport, a weapon of war and a beast of burden, as well as a variety of sporting and recreational roles.

But, new research suggests that the humble horse might not be quite such a willing worker as it often appears.

http://www.telegraph...scientists.html

I hope someone who reads this can tell me the story; there is an SF story that has an entire chapter in it describing what goes through a particular horse's head when he hears he's to be left to pasture in a large meadow all day with nothing to do. To this particular horse, who put up with all kinds of strange things in the book, this is the closest to heaven he will ever get -- just the freedom to decide when to eat, where to eat, when to lie down, when to walk around, when to get a drink. I know it doesn't sound so funny, but in context it had me rolling on the floor.

1 person likes this

They are just like people. They like to play, mine likes throwing things, but who wants to work themselves to death.

1 person likes this

It all goes to show that, unlike a lot of humans, horses just can't be arsed to play silly sods for no apparent reason! Believe me - I know from bitter experience!

Another enlightening study , who would've thought horses prefer laying around instead of laborious work? Go figure.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

It's new news to me that horses are willing to work. I thought horses were a herd animal that we trained to work for us.

If they weren't trained, I expect that rolling around in the long grass would be something natural that they would do when they wanted to do it.

Edited by Mistydawn