Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parents Sue over Child Born w/ Down Syndrome

BiffSplitkins

When Oregon parents Ariel and Deborah Levy had their third child and first daughter, Kalanit, they thought she was the “normal and healthy” baby they say they were promised after prenatal test results showed no irregularities. When they found out through a blood test after their daughter’s birth that she had Down syndrome, “It was devastating,” says the mother. Now, 4 years later, they’re suing the Legacy Health clinic, which the couple says made a mistake in the testing, giving them a false sense of security that their baby would be perfectly fine.

Now, before I get all riled up, some more facts: Many expectant parents choose to undergo prenatal screening – usually a combination of blood tests and ultrasounds that assess the likelihood of the baby being born with certain diseases or disorders, including trisomy 21, commonly known as Down syndrome. The Levys had a test known as CVS (chorionic villus sampling), which examines tissue directly from the fetus and is recommended for mothers over age 35 or who show other risk factors.

READ MORE

People like this just sicken me.

• Like 4

Don't all medical tests come with a "disclaimer" that they they are not 100% guaranteed to be accurate? These sorts of reactions from people send health costs through the roof by increasing insurance premiums for health care services and the medical profession in general.

Honestly, 50 years ago the possibility of knowing anything about the baby before birth were remote at best, yet people still jumped in and loved the child that was born to them regardless. Grow a backbone and a heart people, if it was me I would like to believe I that I would think it was a very fortunate error to have my daughter.

I can understand they would not have chosen, and did everything in their power to prevent, having a special needs child because of all the challenges and shortened life expectancy she would face in life but it is what it is and what she needs now is their unconditional love and what they need is to understand that medical science is fallible and not a commercial consumer tool they can "shop" for the perfect baby with.

• Like 4

I bet the child is mistreated. The parents are more thanlikely not showing the child any love or repect. Things happen it isn't the doctors fault.

From the article:

Here’s the thing: No prenatal testing is 100 percent accurate. When I had my 20-week ultrasound, the doctor made sure to point out that just because everything looks normal and healthy on the scan doesn’t guarantee a normal and healthy baby. Heck, even if you give birth to a normal and healthy baby doesn’t mean he’ll remain normal and healthy for the rest of his life. Simply put, when you have a child, you’re taking a risk. There are no guarantees, I don’t care what your prenatal test results show. In the end, as far as I'm concerned, it’s your job as a parent to love and care for the children you get, and to always want the best for them - not to throw a fit if you don't get the “best” child from the very start.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These parents should be sterilized...just in case THEIR genes do not produce a healthy child in future.

• Like 1

I sincerely hope with all of my heart that their sons turn into murderers, rapists and thieves while the daughter grows up to be a spectacular woman.

I sincerely hope with all of my heart that their sons turn into murderers, rapists and thieves while the daughter grows up to be a spectacular woman.

Oooo, I understand your theory, but for their potential victims sake, I hope they don`t.

• Like 1

I think just having the daughter growing up to be a spectacular woman would be enough to put people like that in their place. No need for the sons to turn out bad.

• Like 2

Downs Syndrome people have such a light and love about them. I hope these people can learn that from their daughter.

As is stands right now, I'm with Biff. Sickening. I have an autistic son and could never imagine thinking this way about my own child.

Absolutely disgusting how any parent could see their own child in the same light as a 'manufacturer's defect' product or something.

• Like 1

Sad. One would think one of the possibilities that went through their head could have been an abortion if they knew this information earlier.

On a different note today I witnessed a mother smoking a cigarette over her babies pram/stroller. There should be a screening for if people should be parents.

• Like 1

According to the update, the parents won their lawsuit and were awarded 2.9 million dollars.

According to the update, the parents won their lawsuit and were awarded 2.9 million dollars.

Sickening people.

• Like 1

You know, if one wanted to put a religious slant on all this then maybe god gave them this precious child as a gift to teach them a few lessons in humility, love and acceptance.

There is no such thing as perfection, that child is theirs regardless of the circumstances and needs them so they need to start acting like real parents because their child depends on that.

This sounds like an awful lot of money if all facts about the testings had been explained....that they they are not 100% guaranteed to be accurate. This seems more a case that they were told absolutely nothing was wrong with their unborn child.