Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Close Views of Large Saturn Hurricane

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA Probe Gets Close Views of Large Saturn Hurricane

PASADENA, Calif. - NASA's Cassini spacecraft has provided scientists the first close-up, visible-light views of a behemoth hurricane swirling around Saturn's north pole.

In high-resolution pictures and video, scientists see the hurricane's eye is about 1,250 miles (2,000 kilometers) wide, 20 times larger than the average hurricane eye on Earth. Thin, bright clouds at the outer edge of the hurricane are traveling 330 mph(150 meters per second). The hurricane swirls inside a large, mysterious, six-sided weather pattern known as the hexagon.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 3

Mysterious Hurricane at Saturn's North Pole

Narrated video about a hurricane-like storm seen at Saturn's north pole by NASA's Cassini spacecraft.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

• Like 1

A Saturn Hurricane

This movie, made from images obtained by NASA's Cassini spacecraft, shows the clouds of a hurricane-like storm, which circulate around the north pole of Saturn out to 88.5 degrees north latitude. The latitude of the bright ring of clouds is 89.0 degrees, which is about 587 miles (945 kilometers) from the pole. The eye of the storm is about 20 times larger than the average hurricane eye on Earth.

› Full caption

Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/SSI

Source: NASA - Multimedia

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Where's Billy, he'll drive straight into the thing.

Why is it every planet but our own has storms like that?

Because if we did, we wouldn't be around after the first couple or most of us at least.

We do have big storms.

It's just that our planet does not have the extreme native climatic conditions to promote the developement of "super-storms"

Yet...

The hexagon around the storm is amazing. How could a circular storm create a hexagonal cloud border? Amazing stuff and Cassini, launched in 1997, has really produced.! So much data from so many different places and now working around Saturn for years to come and sending some of the most amazing photos of Saturn and her moons I have ever seen.

• Like 2

They are now calling it the Rose of Saturn because of the filters used (red low clouds, green higher clouds). http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/wp/2013/04/29/the-rose-the-beautiful-massive-storm-on-saturn/ and it certainly resembles that. That is fine with me as anything that gets the word out is great. I can see this photo going viral as it is breathtakingly beautiful

Edited by Merc14

The hexagon around the storm is amazing. How could a circular storm create a hexagonal cloud border? Amazing stuff and Cassini, launched in 1997, has really produced.! So much data from so many different places and now working around Saturn for years to come and sending some of the most amazing photos of Saturn and her moons I have ever seen.

If you notice from the footage the angles of the hexagon don't move with the rotation of the storm, they stay at the same place, which suggests it could be magnetic, and the colour of the storm may be a clue...it could be a storm of Iron particles ?

But very interesting

• Like 1

If you notice from the footage the angles of the hexagon don't move with the rotation of the storm, they stay at the same place, which suggests it could be magnetic, and the colour of the storm may be a clue...it could be a storm of Iron particles ?

But very interesting

Holy crap, no way. An iron particle magnetic hurricane with an eye twice the size of earth in our solar system! In the words of my 7 year old son, "How cool would that be?"

Great find its a huge storm i wonder if the weather channel named it yet lol.

• Like 1

Great find its a huge storm i wonder if the weather channel named it yet lol.

You made me laugh out loud. Great line, thanks. "and if Rose continues north it will leave the Saturnian influence and New Jersey will feel Sandy like effects triggering another Obama visit and hug-fest between the Thin-man and the Morbidly Obese man, something we will all relish.

It didn't, the Hexagon is a preexisting pattern. Most likely magnetic in nature.

It didn't, the Hexagon is a preexisting pattern. Most likely magnetic in nature.

They have to interact in some way. The naration, after having listened again said the hexgon is a jet stream like formation so maybe I got it backwards and the hexagon formed the "hurricane"

I see what you mean. That the Hexagon formed this hurricane as if it were some type of metal particles. Fascinating really, that it is locked in the center.

NASA should be concentrating on cutting back spending on earth, instead of getting impressed with what's happening on Saturn. We have more problems back here when it comes to government spending.

NASA should be concentrating on cutting back spending on earth, instead of getting impressed with what's happening on Saturn. We have more problems back here when it comes to government spending.

It 's great thinkers like you that got us to the moon and back.

Why be concerned with what's going on off world, when we don't even have a handle or a clue with what's going on down here?

Millions that have added up to billions over the years...on whose money? One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out on whose backs these guys are riding on...

Why be concerned with what's going on off world, when we don't even have a handle or a clue with what's going on down here?

Millions that have added up to billions over the years...on whose money? One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out on whose backs these guys are riding on...

Actually billions have added up to trillions but I suggest you start a thread on whether we should or shouldn't spend money on space exploration rather than hijack this one. It's a relevant subject but off-topic here. Post link here and I'll join.

Edited by Merc14

Actually billions have added up to trillions but I suggest you start a thread on whether we should or shouldn't spend money on space exploration rather than hijack this one. It's a relevant subject but off-topic here. Post link here and I'll join.

I have to agree with you Merc, this is off topic.

• 3 weeks later...

Not all planets; no hurricanes on Mars, just planet wide dust storms, you need to have to have a decent atmosphere for big storms. Jupiter's Great Red Spot and Saturn's hurricane-like storm are both on giant gas planets; they are nearly ALL atmosphere. These storms continue for dozens, hundreds, perhaps thousands of years because they are trapped at one latitude or in the case of Saturn, at the pole and they do not encounter any land mass to disrupt them.